The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Turkish Settlers: Armed and Extremely Dangerous!

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

Turkish Settlers: Armed and Extremely Dangerous!

Postby Oracle » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:39 am

BirKibrisli made the following alarming comment :
My educated guess of the real TC numbers is about 80,000....And there are at least 300,000 settlers,not all with citizenship rights...

My further guess would be, there are potentially 100,000 Turkish soldiers hidden in those (settler) numbers.

I take it the TCs do Military Service, much as we have in the RoC, but under the patronage of their "TRNC" Administration.

So how are these settlers trained?

Does the "TRNC" Administration undertake the Military Service requirements of the settlers, alongside the TCs; or do they join the 40,000 Turkish occupying-troops, to train to kill us?

..... Or, are the Turkish Settlers exempt from Military Service?
Oracle
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Re: Turkish Settlers: Armed and Extremely Dangerous!

Postby utu » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:37 am

Oracle wrote:BirKibrisli made the following alarming comment :
My educated guess of the real TC numbers is about 80,000....And there are at least 300,000 settlers,not all with citizenship rights...

My further guess would be, there are potentially 100,000 Turkish soldiers hidden in those (settler) numbers.

I take it the TCs do Military Service, much as we have in the RoC, but under the patronage of their "TRNC" Administration.

Does the "TRNC" Administration undertake the Military Service requirements of the settlers, alongside the TCs; or do they join the 40,000 Turkish occupying-troops, to train to kill us?

If what you say is true, Oracle, maybe you should try and stay out of their gunsights... Some of them have probably read this forum in general and your posts in particular... but if you need a bodyguard, just give me a call.
utu
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Oracle » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:24 pm

utu wrote:

[1] So how are these settlers trained?

[2] Does the "TRNC" Administration undertake the Military Service requirements of the settlers, alongside the TCs; [3] or do they join the 40,000 Turkish occupying-troops, to train to kill us?

..... [4] Or, are the Turkish Settlers exempt from Military Service?

If what you say is true, Oracle, maybe you should try and stay out of their gunsights... Some of them have probably read this forum in general and your posts in particular... but if you need a bodyguard, just give me a call.

What do you mean by: "If what you say is true". .... I raised four questions; now numbered for clarity.

Besides, it's not me the Settlers need to fear, but their unsettled future; passively depending on those they allowed to transport them here (Turkey). Until finally the rightful authorities (EU , UN etc) take over their fate and hopefully send them back: colonisation experiment failed!
Oracle
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Tim Drayton » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:46 pm

On Thursday and Friday I was interpreting at interviews conducted in Famagusta with some local Cyprus-born young men whose parents were from Turkey. This experience was an eye opener. I had the opportunity to engage some general conversation with them and gauge their outlook on their existence. I can tell you that it was very negative. These men -aged in their mid-twenties - were all unemployed and said that they had given up all hope of ever finding work. They felt that they were victims of discrimination, especially in the eyes of the police. To them, Famagusta police station was a notorious place where people were routinely coerced into signing false confessions. They live with their parents, sleep until the afternoon and the highlight of their day is when they go out in the evening, buy some bottles of whisky and hang out on a piece of wasteground, getting drunk. I got no real sense that these people identified either with the TRNC or with Turkey. I can see an explosive situation building up here, especially as the TRNC economy is heading for a severe downturn and is not going to be able to create work for these people. There is a large concentration of young, disaffected second-generation Turkish migrants in Famagusta. Perhaps I am exaggerating, but I wonder if one day we might see on the streets of Famagusta the kind of events we witnessed a couple of years ago in the suburbs of Paris involving the disaffected children of immgrants.
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby BirKibrisli » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:46 pm

Oracle,
The 300,000 figure includes older men,women and children...And not all of them are trnc citizens...But those who are,and who haven't done their national service in Turkey do it in Cyprus. trnc has its own armed forces separate from the 40,000 Turkish Troops...When soldiers train,they usually do train in armed combat and not as hospitality workers!!! :roll:
BirKibrisli
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby zan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:46 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:On Thursday and Friday I was interpreting at interviews conducted in Famagusta with some local Cyprus-born young men whose parents were from Turkey. This experience was an eye opener. I had the opportunity to engage some general conversation with them and gauge their outlook on their existence. I can tell you that it was very negative. These men -aged in their mid-twenties - were all unemployed and said that they had given up all hope of ever finding work. They felt that they were victims of discrimination, especially in the eyes of the police. To them, Famagusta police station was a notorious place where people were routinely coerced into signing false confessions. They live with their parents, sleep until the afternoon and the highlight of their day is when they go out in the evening, buy some bottles of whisky and hang out on a piece of wasteground, getting drunk. I got no real sense that these people identified either with the TRNC or with Turkey. I can see an explosive situation building up here, especially as the TRNC economy is heading for a severe downturn and is not going to be able to create work for these people. There is a large concentration of young, disaffected second-generation Turkish migrants in Famagusta. Perhaps I am exaggerating, but I wonder if one day we might see on the streets of Famagusta the kind of events we witnessed a couple of years ago in the suburbs of Paris involving the disaffected children of immgrants.
\
\Now go and interpret for some of the poorest in the "RoC" and let us know how many GC and Greek flags they are waiving.....FFS....How much more of a childish view can you get...You have even outdone Oracle on this one...... :roll:
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby karma » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:01 pm

zan wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:On Thursday and Friday I was interpreting at interviews conducted in Famagusta with some local Cyprus-born young men whose parents were from Turkey. This experience was an eye opener. I had the opportunity to engage some general conversation with them and gauge their outlook on their existence. I can tell you that it was very negative. These men -aged in their mid-twenties - were all unemployed and said that they had given up all hope of ever finding work. They felt that they were victims of discrimination, especially in the eyes of the police. To them, Famagusta police station was a notorious place where people were routinely coerced into signing false confessions. They live with their parents, sleep until the afternoon and the highlight of their day is when they go out in the evening, buy some bottles of whisky and hang out on a piece of wasteground, getting drunk. I got no real sense that these people identified either with the TRNC or with Turkey. I can see an explosive situation building up here, especially as the TRNC economy is heading for a severe downturn and is not going to be able to create work for these people. There is a large concentration of young, disaffected second-generation Turkish migrants in Famagusta. Perhaps I am exaggerating, but I wonder if one day we might see on the streets of Famagusta the kind of events we witnessed a couple of years ago in the suburbs of Paris involving the disaffected children of immgrants.
\
\Now go and interpret for some of the poorest in the "RoC" and let us know how many GC and Greek flags they are waiving.....FFS....How much more of a childish view can you get...You have even outdone Oracle on this one...... :roll:

:roll:
the poorest ones in the RoC are SriLankans who are richer than many Turkish poors in the North :(
Main Contributor

Postby BirKibrisli » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:04 pm

Tim Drayton wrote:On Thursday and Friday I was interpreting at interviews conducted in Famagusta with some local Cyprus-born young men whose parents were from Turkey. This experience was an eye opener. I had the opportunity to engage some general conversation with

them and gauge their outlook on their existence. I can tell you that it was very negative. These men -aged in their mid-twenties - were all unemployed and said that they had given up all hope of ever finding work. They felt that they were victims of discrimination, especially in the eyes of the police. To them, Famagusta police station was a notorious place where people were routinely coerced into signing false confessions. They live with their parents, sleep until the afternoon and the highlight of their day is when they go out in the evening, buy some bottles of whisky and hang out on a piece of wasteground, getting drunk. I got no real sense that these people identified either with the TRNC or with Turkey. I can see an explosive situation building up here, especially as the TRNC economy is heading for a severe downturn and is not going to be able to create work for these people. There is a large concentration of young, disaffected second-generation Turkish migrants in Famagusta. Perhaps I am exaggerating, but I wonder if one day we might see on the streets of Famagusta the kind of events we witnessed a couple of years ago in the suburbs of Paris involving the disaffected children of immgrants.

If the alcohol problem gets out of hand you might get some spontanous civil unrest...But i doubt there will ever be any large scale riots...The trnc is a military run place,they would come down very hard on them...The problem will probably show itself as increased armed robberies,muggings,and house burgleries...plus the usual social problems of drugs,gambling and prostitution etc... :( :(
BirKibrisli
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby zan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:05 pm

karma wrote:
zan wrote:
\

:roll:
the poorest ones in RoC are SriLankans who are richer than many Turkish poors in the North :(

I said some of the poorest Karma......I am sure that the poor in any country do not have similar stories to tell.......I am not saying that there is no discrimination......That too happens everywhere....The only difference is that the discrimination is not applauded by a hostile country...A in the "RoC".....The fact that the TRNC is still under embargoes does a vanishing act when these things are discussed...Although, than god, the TRNC is not as "active" as the Gaza strip, I am sure that they too are having employment troubles..... :roll:
zan
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Tim Drayton » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:15 pm

BirKibrisli wrote:
Tim Drayton wrote:On Thursday and Friday I was interpreting at interviews conducted in Famagusta with some local Cyprus-born young men whose parents were from Turkey. This experience was an eye opener. I had the opportunity to engage some general conversation with

them and gauge their outlook on their existence. I can tell you that it was very negative. These men -aged in their mid-twenties - were all unemployed and said that they had given up all hope of ever finding work. They felt that they were victims of discrimination, especially in the eyes of the police. To them, Famagusta police station was a notorious place where people were routinely coerced into signing false confessions. They live with their parents, sleep until the afternoon and the highlight of their day is when they go out in the evening, buy some bottles of whisky and hang out on a piece of wasteground, getting drunk. I got no real sense that these people identified either with the TRNC or with Turkey. I can see an explosive situation building up here, especially as the TRNC economy is heading for a severe downturn and is not going to be able to create work for these people. There is a large concentration of young, disaffected second-generation Turkish migrants in Famagusta. Perhaps I am exaggerating, but I wonder if one day we might see on the streets of Famagusta the kind of events we witnessed a couple of years ago in the suburbs of Paris involving the disaffected children of immgrants.

If the alcohol problem gets out of hand you might get some spontanous civil unrest...But i doubt there will ever be any large scale riots...The trnc is a military run place,they would come down very hard on them...The problem will probably show itself as increased armed robberies,muggings,and house burgleries...plus the usual social problems of drugs,gambling and prostitution etc... :( :(

You are probably right, and you need a very large population to support serious riots. Even so, I gained a whole new perspective on life in the TRNC last week.
Tim Drayton
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Next

Return to Cyprus Problem