The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

That ridiculous 1960 Constitution.

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

That ridiculous 1960 Constitution.

Postby lola-tulip » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Imagine the scenario where we followed the 1960 Constitution of the RoC, happily without conflicts, and the TC population grew healthily but the GC population plummeted significantly, altering the demographic proportions.

Would the TCs still be happy to preserve the 70:30 ratio of GC:TC with one GC President and one TC Vice-President?

Let us say the population of TCs had grown tenfold from the original ~100,000 to say 1000,000; whereas, the GC population had reduced to 100,000. Yet, the 100,000 GCs would still maintain entitlement to a President and 56 Representatives ruling the country alongside only 24 Representatives elected by the TC community who are now stuck with just a Vice President.

1. At what point in the demographic distribution of the two communities would such separation of power have appeared ridiculous to the TC community?

2. At what point in the population ratios would the TCs have actively devised an "Akritas" style plan to make the ridiculous 1960 Constitution fairer?

[Please leave Enosis and Taksim out of this. Everyone was happy to stay united and independent.]
lola-tulip
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Paphitis » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:31 pm

Nice thread. Pity no one replied thus far so I will kick things off!

Lola, you are asking too much of our TC "compatriots". They want it all their way. However, I will indulge you for a second.

Lets just say the TC population was tenfold the size of the GC community. The TCs will take over the effective administration of the entire island, and the hapless GCs would need to take some swimming lessons, without a life vest. Turks are fiercely nationalistic, much more than we are or ever were. They may even become a Turkish Province, but more than likely Cyprus would simply become a Turkic State.

The 70-30 suited them in 1960. Now they are going for much more than that. And later on, they will go for even more, and we will lose more because we just don't know how to deal with them. Eventually, they will achieve all they set out to achieve unless there are massive Geo Political changes in the region.
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Re: That ridiculous 1960 Constitution.

Postby shahmaran » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:19 pm

lola-tulip wrote:Imagine the scenario where we followed the 1960 Constitution of the RoC, happily without conflicts, and the TC population grew healthily but the GC population plummeted significantly, altering the demographic proportions.

Would the TCs still be happy to preserve the 70:30 ratio of GC:TC with one GC President and one TC Vice-President?

Let us say the population of TCs had grown tenfold from the original ~100,000 to say 1000,000; whereas, the GC population had reduced to 100,000. Yet, the 100,000 GCs would still maintain entitlement to a President and 56 Representatives ruling the country alongside only 24 Representatives elected by the TC community who are now stuck with just a Vice President.

1. At what point in the demographic distribution of the two communities would such separation of power have appeared ridiculous to the TC community?

2. At what point in the population ratios would the TCs have actively devised an "Akritas" style plan to make the ridiculous 1960 Constitution fairer?

[Please leave Enosis and Taksim out of this. Everyone was happy to stay united and independent.]

What makes you think you were going to "plummet" if it went along?

Thats bit rich coming from the people who were nothing but a serfs with no autonomy what so ever, until WE came.
shahmaran
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby shahmaran » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Paphitis wrote:Nice thread. Pity no one replied thus far so I will kick things off!

Lola, you are asking too much of our TC "compatriots". They want it all their way. However, I will indulge you for a second.

Lets just say the TC population was tenfold the size of the GC community. The TCs will take over the effective administration of the entire island, and the hapless GCs would need to take some swimming lessons, without a life vest. Turks are fiercely nationalistic, much more than we are or ever were. They may even become a Turkish Province, but more than likely Cyprus would simply become a Turkic State.

The 70-30 suited them in 1960. Now they are going for much more than that. And later on, they will go for even more, and we will lose more because we just don't know how to deal with them. Eventually, they will achieve all they set out to achieve unless there are massive Geo Political changes in the region.

I am glad yo finally see the light Paphity :lol:
shahmaran
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby miltiades » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:41 pm

" until WE came." So our foreigner tells us . WE he says , came !!! You mean invaded don't you surely !!!
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Paphitis » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:44 pm

shahmaran wrote:
Paphitis wrote:Nice thread. Pity no one replied thus far so I will kick things off!

Oh don't worry! I am a Cypriot that knows exactly what needs to be done and it is something that is right up your alley mate!
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby lola-tulip » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Paphitis wrote:The TCs will take over the effective administration of the entire island, .

Thank you, Paphiti for helping things along. :)

Is it correct, you are saying, they would have by-passed proposals, akin to "Akritas" plan, and instantly taken over without alterations to the basic Constitution, once they were substantially more in numbers? Taken over, how?

At what point would it have concerned them that they were stuck with only 30% administrative power, and no chance at presidency in the 1960 Constitution presented to us by the British?

Would they have waited till they were, say 31% of the population? Or more?
lola-tulip
Contributor
Contributor

Postby shahmaran » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:41 pm

Paphitis wrote:
shahmaran wrote:

Oh don't worry! I am a Cypriot that knows exactly what needs to be done and it is something that is right up your alley mate!

Somehow I seriously doubt that...
shahmaran
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby shahmaran » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:41 pm

miltiades wrote:" until WE came." So our foreigner tells us . WE he says , came !!! You mean invaded don't you surely !!!

You're the Brit mate, I am exactly where I am supposed to be.
shahmaran
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Re: That ridiculous 1960 Constitution.

Postby lola-tulip » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:49 pm

shahmaran wrote:
lola-tulip wrote:Imagine the scenario where we followed the 1960 Constitution of the RoC, happily without conflicts, and the TC population grew healthily but the GC population plummeted significantly, altering the demographic proportions.

What makes you think you were going to "plummet" if it went along?

Thats bit rich coming from the people who were nothing but a serfs with no autonomy what so ever, until WE came.

If we did not break apart in 1963 and carried on with our given Constitution, we would doubtless have joined the EU. No reason why not. Then, a Million or so Turks arrive from Turkey over the course of a few years. This is very likely since Turks are the biggest migrants in EU countries. Many would marry TCs and increase the TC population substantially. Therefore, at what point of this increase in TC population will TCs wake up and say, "Eh? We are stuck with only 30% power and yet we are more than 30% of the population!"
lola-tulip
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Cyprus Problem