The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Some measures RoC should take until a solution is found

Propose and discuss specific solutions to aspects of the Cyprus Problem

Some measures RoC should take until a solution is found

Postby Piratis » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:29 pm

Until today we are used to think of the Turkish Cypriot community as one. However maybe this is wrong. Some TCs do not support the illegalities and the Turkish occupation and they are victims of this occupation like we are.

Just like our government has helped the GC victims of the invasion and occupation they should also help the TC victims and bring them closer to RoC.

The hard point in this is to distinguish these innocent TCs from the ones that support the occupation and benefit on the loss of their Greek Cypriot compatriots.

Some measures I propose in this effect are:

- The day of the illegal elections in the occupied areas the RoC to organize full day events in the free areas for the Turkish Cypriots. This way RoC will know which TCs are participating in the pseudo elections and which ones are supporting RoC by boycotting them.

- One or Two year voluntary service in RoC. Just like GCs spent 2 years in the army the TCs can do 1 – 2 year voluntary work in RoC. This work can be related with the TC-GC relations and with the improvement of the living standards of the TCs that choose to live in the free areas, Turkish education in the free areas etc.

- Trade from legal ports and using the legal procedures. The TCs can register their businesses in RoC and have their taxes and behefits from RoC instead of the “TRNC”. RoC can maintain Turkish Cypriot governmental employees that will operate in the occupied areas and will make sure that this businesses are following the RoC requirements.

- Encourage TCs to express publicly their disagreement with the occupation regime and their support to RoC. (e.g. like the TC that raised the RoC flag and was arrested)

- TCs should register any land that was illegally given to them by the pseudo state and declare that this land does not belong to them and that they will not use it/rent it/ sell it or profit from it in any other way.

These are just some unrefined examples.

The TCs that do the above should be given their land in the free areas, as well as all the other benefits that GCs have (education, healthcare, RoC passport, pension etc).

Also, if/when their number is increased to a large percentage of the TC community these TCs can have their our separate representation in the government and in the parliament, and their elected people should be considered by RoC the representatives of the TC community, and not the leaders of the “TRNC” who are after all elected by a large number of settlers. Then RoC should discuss only with them (and with Turkey) and ignore the puppets of Turkey in the occupied areas.

This is of course not the solution, but it is I believe something that will help to integrate the TC community back to RoC and help our TC compatriots that are victims of the Turkish occupation like us.
Piratis

Postby garbitsch » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:38 pm

You are suggesting RoC government to discriminate between good T.Cs and bad T.Cs, which in the end will lead to a huge cleavage amongst the Turkish Cypriot Community. So you are "urging" Turkish Cypriot to vote for G.C candidates, leave the houses they have been living for 30 years and move south to live under the G.C rule. You have just lost yourself i am afraid.
garbitsch
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Some measures RoC should take until a solution is found

Postby bg_turk » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:18 pm

Piratis wrote:Just like our government has helped the GC victims of the invasion and occupation they should also help the TC victims and bring them closer to RoC.

The TCs that do the above should be given their land in the free areas, as well as all the other benefits that GCs have (education, healthcare, RoC passport, pension etc).

Also, if/when their number is increased to a large percentage of the TC community these TCs can have their our separate representation in the government and in the parliament, and their elected people should be considered by RoC the representatives of the TC community, and not the leaders of the “TRNC” who are after all elected by a large number of settlers. Then RoC should discuss only with them (and with Turkey) and ignore the puppets of Turkey in the occupied areas.

This is of course not the solution, but it is I believe something that will help to integrate the TC community back to RoC and help our TC compatriots that are victims of the Turkish occupation like us.

Bravo, at least you are now legally consistent, Piratis. That is what I expected you to acknowledge, that RoC should not discriminate amongst its citizens on basis of ethnicity, and if the RoC does all those things you say it should, it will have the moral high ground to demand the restoration of the legal rights of all of its citizens. When this day comes I will give my full support to your cause to unify your country, because on that day it will become the country of TCs as well.
bg_turk
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Piratis » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:05 am

So you are "urging" Turkish Cypriot to vote for G.C candidates

No at a first stage I urge them to boycott the "TRNC" voting, and when large enough numbers do that to vote their own TC candidates that will be participating in the government of RoC and in the parliament. (all this even before a single GC refugee returns!)

leave the houses they have been living for 30 years and move south to live under the G.C rule

Again, i didn't say that. They will simply move to the free areas the day of the "TRNC" votings to show that they are boycotting them. Those that are originally from the free areas if they wish they can return and reclaim their properties as long as they go along what I mentioned above.

You are suggesting RoC government to discriminate between good T.Cs and bad T.Cs

Not exactly. The TCs that choose illegality they can stay with their pseudo state but expect no support from RoC. On the other hand those that do not support the occupation will be receive RoCs support and will be represented within RoC.

Again I say that what I propose here is not the solution but measures that RoC can take until the solution is found.
Piratis

Postby garbitsch » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:22 am

But again Piratis, even if I do not support TRNC (I am assuming), I earn my life in that country. Let's say I work as a government employee, I was born in TRNC and raised in TRNC. Although I am frustrated about the situation, I have no other choice but to stay and live in TRNC. This is how the majority Turkish Cypriots will respond to you.
I am not saying what you offer is not a step, but still it sounds like calling Turkish Cypriots back to RoC, which in my opinion is hardly to achieve. And as I said, it will create a chaos amongst T.Cs.
garbitsch
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Piratis » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:16 pm

I earn my life in that country

First of all the TCs I am talking about are the ones that accept that the "TRNC" is illegal and what exist in the north is an illegal occupation. Those that support the existence of "TRNC" and therefore the violation of the human rights of 1000s of other Cypriots are not part of this "plan".

Although I am frustrated about the situation, I have no other choice but to stay and live in TRNC. This is how the majority Turkish Cypriots will respond to you.

Yes, but apart from the voting day that those TCs will have to be in the free areas in order to boycott it, the rest of the time it will be up to them were to live. I didn't say that those TCs that do not support "TRNC" will have to come to the free areas.

but still it sounds like calling Turkish Cypriots back to RoC

Yes, this is what it is. The TCs that do not support the occupation of RoC they will be supported by RoC because it is not their fault if Turkey or the majority of TCs support something that it is illegal and against human rights. What I propose are ways that TCs can show with actions that they do not support the occupation and they support RoC.
Piratis

Postby tubegallery » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:26 pm

The suggestions are nothing but childish, and divisive. They might work down the back in the garden where the fairies fly around.
tubegallery

Postby sadik » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:26 pm

[quote="Piratis"]
- The day of the illegal elections in the occupied areas the RoC to organize full day events in the free areas for the Turkish Cypriots. This way RoC will know which TCs are participating in the pseudo elections and which ones are supporting RoC by boycotting them.
[/quota]

Like a day long paniyiri where all the TCs supporting the ROC will get into bumper cars with little Cypriot flags and bump into each other the whole day long ? :)

Joking asie, I don't know if you are aware, but there is a growing movement among the TCs which is advocating that we (TCs) should be demanding our rights in the RoC, instead of waiting a long time for a solution to happen. They believe that both the GC leadership and Turkey are playing to postpone a solution until the day that Turkey will join the EU, which might be too late for the TCs, causing our society to deteriorate further.

IT's interesting that you are proposing similar things for different reasons.

TC politician Akinci has recently made such proposals. He wants to look into ways of TCs returning to the RoC with their parliamentary participation. In this way, he says, we can gain political power and use this power to push both Turkey and the GCs for a solution.

So, returning to the RoC may be more acceptable for TCs than you think (withouth the paniyiri part). I'm not sure that the GCs will accept this easily, because, one of the reasons that there is a Cyprus Problem is the attempt to remove TCs political rights (veto power, ratios in goventment, etc).
sadik
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Kifeas » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:45 pm

sadik wrote:
Piratis wrote:- The day of the illegal elections in the occupied areas the RoC to organize full day events in the free areas for the Turkish Cypriots. This way RoC will know which TCs are participating in the pseudo elections and which ones are supporting RoC by boycotting them.

Like a day long paniyiri where all the TCs supporting the ROC will get into bumper cars with little Cypriot flags and bump into each other the whole day long ? :)

Joking asie, I don't know if you are aware, but there is a growing movement among the TCs which is advocating that we (TCs) should be demanding our rights in the RoC, instead of waiting a long time for a solution to happen. They believe that both the GC leadership and Turkey are playing to postpone a solution until the day that Turkey will join the EU, which might be too late for the TCs, causing our society to deteriorate further.

IT's interesting that you are proposing similar things for different reasons.

TC politician Akinci has recently made such proposals. He wants to look into ways of TCs returning to the RoC with their parliamentary participation. In this way, he says, we can gain political power and use this power to push both Turkey and the GCs for a solution.

So, returning to the RoC may be more acceptable for TCs than you think (withouth the paniyiri part). I'm not sure that the GCs will accept this easily, because, one of the reasons that there is a Cyprus Problem is the attempt to remove TCs political rights (veto power, ratios in goventment, etc).

Joking aside me too, I have seen Akinci's propositions with a lot of interest and this reminded me of another discussion we two had not too long ago, in this forum. Certainly for me at least, and I believe for the majority of GCs, this is an interesting development. However, I find it somewhat difficult to put it into a practical perspective. For example, will someone, i.e. like Akinci for example, be an MP of the "TRNC" and at the same time exercise his constitutional rights under the RoC? Will he also run for an MP position in the RoC parliament, and perhaps elected as well, and at the same time be an MP of what the RoC terms and treats as a secessionist and illegal act, such as the "TRNC?" :?
Kifeas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby Piratis » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:21 pm

The suggestions are nothing but childish, and divisive. They might work down the back in the garden where the fairies fly around.

These suggestions will work either they are adopted by many TCs or not. The whole point is that RoC should give a change to individual TCs to separate their position from the one of Turkey and the leadership of the "TRNC".

For example, will someone, i.e. like Akinci for example, be an MP of the "TRNC" and at the same time exercise his constitutional rights under the RoC? Will he also run for an MP position in the RoC parliament, and perhaps elected as well, and at the same time be an MP of what the RoC terms and treats as a secessionist and illegal act, such as the "TRNC?"

I don't know if you are aware, but there is a growing movement among the TCs which is advocating that we (TCs) should be demanding our rights in the RoC

This is exactly why I propose such measures. The TCs that want benefits, support and representation from RoC should be the ones that do not support the occupation and the illegal "TRNC". These or similar measures will give to the TCs the chance to show with actions whether they are law obeying RoC citizens under foreign occupation, or if they belong to the group of people that collaborate with the enemy in order to harm RoC and violate the human rights of 1000s of their compatriots.
Piratis

Next

Return to Cyprus Problem Solution Proposals