The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


So what does the Stars and Stripes mean?

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: So what does the Stars and Stripes mean?

Postby Maximus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 am

Sounds like you got it all figured out. I know you will keep defending and espousing America’s greatness regardless of what I tell you.

However, I am just letting you know, whatever decay you see in Europe and Australia, you will find the same, but probably magnified in the US.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: So what does the Stars and Stripes mean?

Postby Maximus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:58 am

They are three pees in the same pod....
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: So what does the Stars and Stripes mean?

Postby Paphitis » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:06 am

Maximus wrote:Sounds like you got it all figured out. I know you will keep defending and espousing America’s greatness regardless of what I tell you.

However, I am just letting you know, whatever decay you see in Europe and Australia, you will find the same, but probably magnified in the US.


Well, gee, I didn't think anyone needed to espouse their greatness.

What I am saying to you Max is that their greatness comes from their real freedom, Bill of Rights and Constitution. America has some warts. As I said, there are areas of extreme poverty and areas of high crime and guns galore, but it all depend where you are living because there are parts of the US that shit on everywhere else.

And yet, America just doesn't seem to have as many problems as Europe does.

As for Australia, it isn't that bad. But there are so many things about Australia that are not as good as the USA.

Now its a process of doing the pros and cons. And there doesn't seem to be that many cons.

America does as I said to you have a sense of community. Australia does not.

I actually value that about the yanks. In fact I am starting to think the yanks are just better people than Australians are.

It really is funny, but my best friend at work is an American. he lives in the Gold Coast and is now an Aussie citizen. he is thinking about going back. I told him about 2 job offers I have had from the US on an E3B and he told me to go and don't look back. :?

I was telling a friend of mine from Adelaide who is Polish and I said to him I seem to relate to non Australians more these days. I specifically mentioned Americans and he said Americans are not small minded and very forward thinking. They come across as naive but the way they operate is superior to Australians and Europeans. What is it about them (Irish?). I don't know. But they do look at building everything they possibly can up. They always try to move forward in a big way.

Take your family and experience it he told me. he said I won't be back if I am working for one of those companies.

I asked him about the Schools, health system, etc and he gave me an honest run down.

He also told me that these companies I mentioned are so large that you are just a number and as such they have solid policies and procedures. they want you to succeed, will spend money on you and provide the best mentors and bend over backwards. There is nothing in Australia to compare it with.

As for the schools, he told me the children will be ok especially in the areas I mentioned.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 24928
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: So what does the Stars and Stripes mean?

Postby Maximus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:17 am

You are being very selective in how you view things between the US, Europe, and Australia I think.

This is probably because you have already made your decision and you are trying to convince yourself that it is going to be the right decision. I’m not judging but that’s just how selection bias works.

Europe and Australia also have real freedom in their constitution just like the US. But you see them in decay.

America Is just another multicultural “western” country, just like Europe and Australia. But you don’t see it in decay....

Seek and ye shall find......
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: So what does the Stars and Stripes mean?

Postby Paphitis » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:20 am

Maximus wrote:You are being very selective in how you view things between the US, Europe, and Australia I think.

This is probably because you have already made your decision and you are trying to convince yourself that it is going to be the right decision. I’m not judging but that’s just how selection bias works.

Europe and Australia also have real freedom in their constitution just like the US. But you see that in decay.

America Is just another multicultural “western” country, just like Europe and Australia. But you don’t see that in decay....


Maximus, I have never lived in America. My wife has and she swears by it but when she lived in the USA it was in new York. Not much to not like about New York let me tell you. She wants to go back there.

I almost lived for a little while in Greece. Only ever visited Cyprus and some other European countries.

There has never been any place in Europe I would have liked to stay other than Greece and that is for sentimental reasons.

But I think I can live in the USA. I would prefer to live there than I would in Europe. USA is better in my opinion or for me.

Back to my wife, she was in new York for about a year and she didn't want to leave. She thinks that is the best place in the world for her. No place like New York I guess... :?
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 24928
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: So what does the Stars and Stripes mean?

Postby Maximus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:22 am

Alright, so you got it all figured out.

When are you going?
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: So what does the Stars and Stripes mean?

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:23 am

If it is so wonderful in the USA, why are you still living in Australia? :roll:

You were telling us all not too long ago, how you had been offered a fabulous job in your dream country. What happened to that or was it just bullshit and wishful thinking? :)

A cautionary tale: I worked with an American in Algeria in the mid 90's that I had first met 10 years previously just as he was retiring to the good life he had planned for him and his wife. He was now a shattered remnant of the man I had previously met. We spent a night shift together and he told me the story ...... all I can say Paphitis is that you are living an illusion! America is not the land of milk and honey! His problem? His wife got ill and he had to sell up EVERYTHING he had to pay the medical bills and he was a fairly wealthy man to start with. When she eventually died he had nothing left and returned to work as he was virtually bankrupt and he knew the Company would look after him. He died a few months later.

So, be satisfied with what you have or you could lose it all! :roll:
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: So what does the Stars and Stripes mean?

Postby Paphitis » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:31 am

Robin Hood wrote:If it is so wonderful in the USA, why are you still living in Australia? :roll:

You were telling us all not too long ago, how you had been offered a fabulous job in your dream country. What happened to that or was it just bullshit and wishful thinking? :)

A cautionary tale: I worked with an American in Algeria in the mid 90's that I had first met 10 years previously just as he was retiring to the good life he had planned for him and his wife. He was now a shattered remnant of the man I had previously met. We spent a night shift together and he told me the story ...... all I can say Paphitis is that you are living an illusion! America is not the land of milk and honey! His problem? His wife got ill and he had to sell up EVERYTHING he had to pay the medical bills and he was a fairly wealthy man to start with. When she eventually died he had nothing left and returned to work as he was virtually bankrupt and he knew the Company would look after him. He died a few months later.

So, be satisfied with what you have or you could lose it all! :roll:


I'm asking that very question.

I find you lot to be prickly and that is putting things politely. i don't find the yanks prickly at all. is it because they are African, Hispanic, German and Irish? Believe me! I'm trying to work it out! My Texan friend is Irish. We are 2 pees in a pod.

I never said America is the land of milk and honey. it has a lot going for it.

I have to weigh up the pros and cons and work out what is best for the family.

Lots of pros right now, and my only cons are basically from my own inner fears when it comes down to it.

As for being the land of milk and honey. yes, they are providing a lot of honey (money). yes I would pay about half the amount of tax.

Yes they will also provide me with extensive health insurance so that isn't even a consideration. They will also subsidize my accommodation.

I also get free worldwide travel (won't even pay any tax). That means free trips to Cyprus and Greece or Australia whenever I want and only subject to availability.

The domicile bases they are offering are major centers as well which are of good appeal.

Yes they will also assist with settling their children into good schools and make sure my wife has networks she can tap into immediately and yes they will also put us in touch with a thriving Australian expat community.

And yes, my wife gets a work VISA too. And we will be entitled to US citizenship.
Last edited by Paphitis on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 24928
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: So what does the Stars and Stripes mean?

Postby Paphitis » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:36 am

Maximus wrote:Alright, so you got it all figured out.

When are you going?


I don't know...
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 24928
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: So what does the Stars and Stripes mean?

Postby Maximus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:38 am

It sounds like you want to go.

If you find the same shit there, which you probably will, it wont make any difference.

Same shit, different country.

You can always go back to Australia if the stench gets too much.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests