The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Things that make you cry.

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Things that make you cry.

Postby MR-from-NG » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Since there's not much happening on here and not much discussed on the Cyprus issue I thought I'd start a thread on things that get my salty waters running.

I just took a drive to Muswell Hill to check on the progress of a car I'm having re-upholstered. On my return I heard a song and I just couldn't hold back the tears.

here's a list of things that get me in this embarrassing state.

Anything on TV about Ayrton Senna, Otis Redding, J.F Kennedy and Elvis will get my tears flowing. On radio the song "Still In Love With You" by Thin Lizzy will get me crying too. I have a CD of Thin Lizzy in every car I own, if I'm in the car with my wife and this song comes up my wife will immediately skip to the next track as she knows what it will do to me.

I wonder if you go through such emotions with certain things and if you could share it on here?
MR-from-NG
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Re: Things that make you cry.

Postby Maximus » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:07 am

:lol:

she doesn't want to see you sobbing like a 14 year old girl.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5156
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Things that make you cry.

Postby Kikapu » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 am

For me, one of the most “tear jerking” movie scenes is in the almost ending of “The Bridges of Madison County”, when Meryl Streep is trying to build courage to jump out of her husband’s pickup truck into Clint Eastwood’s pickup truck stopped in front of them at a red light in a pouring rain after their 4 days of romance while the husband and their two teenagers were away. No matter how many times I have seen that movie, (many many times) tears come pouring down.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 14460
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Things that make you cry.

Postby Paphitis » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:07 pm

I can't go pass the Ayrton Senna Crash that claimed his life at the San Marino Grand Prix.

I was an Ayrton Senna fan. Would go to the Australian Grand Prix to cheer this man on. There was never a F1 grand prix driver like him. He was such a gentleman and always the crowd favorite.

So sad to see this man lose his life at his prime doing what he loved to do.

When I saw the crash I knew it was bad. I remember we all thought it wasn't good but we were hoping. After they flew him to hospital they announced he was dead on arrival. I think the sport also died a death at that moment. Our hearts sank like the Titanic.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25699
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Things that make you cry.

Postby RichardB » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:17 pm

I worked the European GP at Donnington Park in1993. (showing my age now) Catering in the paddock and had the pleasure of meeting Ayrton Senna and all the other great drivers of that era. I took my son who was 8 at the time with me, he had a bmx at the time and rode round getting all the autographs of the drivers, sadly log since lost.
My lasting memories of the time are of him racing into the kitchen to get a cup of black coffee for "Mr senna" and running it over to him. He (my son) also sat down for lunch and was asked if he minded sharing his table by Nigel Mansell and Daley Thomson (ex Olympic decathalete) and they were joined by a couple of the Rothmans girls.
Happy days... I did a lot of sporting events around that time including motor cycle GPS, British and German touring car championships, test matches etc.
User avatar
RichardB
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: Blackpool/Lefkosia

Re: Things that make you cry.

Postby MR-from-NG » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:38 pm

Kikapu wrote:For me, one of the most “tear jerking” movie scenes is in the almost ending of “The Bridges of Madison County”, when Meryl Streep is trying to build courage to jump out of her husband’s pickup truck into Clint Eastwood’s pickup truck stopped in front of them at a red light in a pouring rain after their 4 days of romance while the husband and their two teenagers were away. No matter how many times I have seen that movie, (many many times) tears come pouring down.

I don't remember seeing that film but I'll never forget the scene where Liam Neeson is beating himself up for buying a new car and regretting not saving more lives with the money he spent on it in Schindler's List. I totally lost control and cried until I had no tears left.
MR-from-NG
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Re: Things that make you cry.

Postby MR-from-NG » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm

Paphitis wrote:I can't go pass the Ayrton Senna Crash that claimed his life at the San Marino Grand Prix.

I was an Ayrton Senna fan. Would go to the Australian Grand Prix to cheer this man on. There was never a F1 grand prix driver like him. He was such a gentleman and always the crowd favorite.

So sad to see this man lose his life at his prime doing what he loved to do.

When I saw the crash I knew it was bad. I remember we all thought it wasn't good but we were hoping. After they flew him to hospital they announced he was dead on arrival. I think the sport also died a death at that moment. Our hearts sank like the Titanic.


He was the greatest of them all. I remember having endless arguments with Nigel Mansell fans in our shop in Islington after every F1 race. I was at Euro Disney on the day he had his accident and sadly died. I went up to my hotel room to check how the race was going when I learned of his death. I cried the whole time we were there. We were in a large group of families and kids and they just couldn't understand how I could break down and cry every time his name was mentioned.

RIP Ayrton. You were the greatest and you will live on forever in our hearts.
MR-from-NG
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Re: Things that make you cry.

Postby MR-from-NG » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm

RichardB wrote:I worked the European GP at Donnington Park in1993. (showing my age now) Catering in the paddock and had the pleasure of meeting Ayrton Senna and all the other great drivers of that era. I took my son who was 8 at the time with me, he had a bmx at the time and rode round getting all the autographs of the drivers, sadly log since lost.
My lasting memories of the time are of him racing into the kitchen to get a cup of black coffee for "Mr senna" and running it over to him. He (my son) also sat down for lunch and was asked if he minded sharing his table by Nigel Mansell and Daley Thomson (ex Olympic decathalete) and they were joined by a couple of the Rothmans girls.
Happy days... I did a lot of sporting events around that time including motor cycle GPS, British and German touring car championships, test matches etc.

How fortunate for you and your son Richard. I had the pleasure of seeing this great man many times on race tracks. he had charisma and presence like no other.
MR-from-NG
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Re: Things that make you cry.

Postby MR-from-NG » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:28 pm

IMG_4346-2.jpg
IMG_4345-2.jpg
IMG_4344-2.jpg
My Office
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MR-from-NG
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Re: Things that make you cry.

Postby MR-from-NG » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:30 pm

Maximus wrote::lol:

she doesn't want to see you sobbing like a 14 year old girl.

:lol: :lol: Come on Max, man up and tell us what gets your tears running :lol: :lol: And please do not politicise this thread :lol:
MR-from-NG
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests