The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Oil

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Oil

Postby Londonrake » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:06 am

The price of oil has crashed by 27% overnight, the biggest fall since 1991, bringing it down to about $30 a barrel. That, brought about by a drop in demand due to corona and the Saudi's launching a price war.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/08/inve ... index.html

.
Londonrake
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2008
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Oil

Postby Robin Hood » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:58 pm

The Saudis expected Russia to comply to OPEC's demands to cut production and the Russians said “UP YOURS”! :lol:

All the Saudis are now trying to do is keep their market share ......... they will lose the battle with Russia ...... and all Russia needs to do is ..... keep pumping and sell in any currency other than the USD.

Whilst the production costs for both are around $20 pb, the Russians can work with that and still make a profit, the Saudi’s need closer to $85 (to maintain the life style of their 20,000+ Princes!) and the US needs about the same pb as the Saudi’s.

The US has been over producing and at a loss, for a long time. The west is now suffering because the US dominated the banking system and the oil markets and, because Saudi and the US only trade in USD, so the rest of the World had to but that is now changing!

Russia Just Told the World, “No.” - By Tom Luongo

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/53080.htm
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3812
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Oil

Postby Kikapu » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:10 pm

Robin Hood wrote:The Saudis expected Russia to comply to OPEC's demands to cut production and the Russians said “UP YOURS”! :lol:

All the Saudis are now trying to do is keep their market share ......... they will lose the battle with Russia ...... and all Russia needs to do is ..... keep pumping and sell in any currency other than the USD.

Whilst the production costs for both are around $20 pb, the Russians can work with that and still make a profit, the Saudi’s need closer to $85 (to maintain the life style of their 20,000+ Princes!) and the US needs about the same pb as the Saudi’s.

The US has been over producing and at a loss, for a long time. The west is now suffering because the US dominated the banking system and the oil markets and, because Saudi and the US only trade in USD, so the rest of the World had to but that is now changing!

Russia Just Told the World, “No.” - By Tom Luongo

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/53080.htm


These low oil prices will put an end to fracking, no?
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 14614
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Oil

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:55 am

Kikapu:
These low oil prices will put an end to fracking, no?

As ye sow, so shall ye reap. It can’t be said that Putin’s response was a knee jerk reaction but I think it could well collapse the fracking industry in the US and elsewhere because it will become economically non-viable. But fracking is also very environmentally un-friendly.

Some time ago I watched a documentary about fracking and it showed homes in the US (I can’t remember where) that got their water from wells and had done so for generations. Now, when they opened the tap in the kitchen, instead of just clear water they got gas as well! They just struck a match and they got a sustained flame! If you then consider all the earth tremors that result in fracking, it cannot be a safe method?
Putin Launches "War On US Shale" After Dumping MbS & Breaking Up OPEC+ By Tyler Durden

Alexander Novak ( Russian Energy Minister) told his Saudi Arabian counterpart Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman that Russia was unwilling to cut oil production further. The Kremlin had decided that propping up prices as the coronavirus ravaged energy demand would be a gift to the U.S. shale industry. The frackers had added millions of barrels of oil to the global market while Russian companies kept wells idle. Now it was time to squeeze the Americans.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/53089.htm
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3812
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Oil

Postby cyprusgrump » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:03 am

Robin Hood wrote:Kikapu:
These low oil prices will put an end to fracking, no?

As ye sow, so shall ye reap. It can’t be said that Putin’s response was a knee jerk reaction but I think it could well collapse the fracking industry in the US and elsewhere because it will become economically non-viable. But fracking is also very environmentally un-friendly.

Some time ago I watched a documentary about fracking and it showed homes in the US (I can’t remember where) that got their water from wells and had done so for generations. Now, when they opened the tap in the kitchen, instead of just clear water they got gas as well! They just struck a match and they got a sustained flame! If you then consider all the earth tremors that result in fracking, it cannot be a safe method?
Putin Launches "War On US Shale" After Dumping MbS & Breaking Up OPEC+ By Tyler Durden

Alexander Novak ( Russian Energy Minister) told his Saudi Arabian counterpart Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman that Russia was unwilling to cut oil production further. The Kremlin had decided that propping up prices as the coronavirus ravaged energy demand would be a gift to the U.S. shale industry. The frackers had added millions of barrels of oil to the global market while Russian companies kept wells idle. Now it was time to squeeze the Americans.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/53089.htm



Utter bollox... :roll:

Who would have thought with all the world's information at your fingertips you would have been taken in by 'Gaslands' a documentary that has been comprehensively debunked countless times over... Not only is 'gas from taps' a natural phenomena that has existed since before fracking, the 'earth tremors' are equivalent to a truck driving down the street...

Fracking is fundamentally safe and has the advantage over normal oil extraction that it can be turned on and off relatively easily. If the oil price falls below what is economically viable for fracking they'll just switch off and wait until it rises again.

But then you love a conspiracy theory so it really is no surprise that you have been taken in by the campaigners on this... :roll:

BTW there are thousands of fracked wells in the US and they have also been fracking in the UK for years... :wink:
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7802
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Re: Oil

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:00 pm

cyprusgrump wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:Kikapu:
These low oil prices will put an end to fracking, no?

As ye sow, so shall ye reap. It can’t be said that Putin’s response was a knee jerk reaction but I think it could well collapse the fracking industry in the US and elsewhere because it will become economically non-viable. But fracking is also very environmentally un-friendly.

Some time ago I watched a documentary about fracking and it showed homes in the US (I can’t remember where) that got their water from wells and had done so for generations. Now, when they opened the tap in the kitchen, instead of just clear water they got gas as well! They just struck a match and they got a sustained flame! If you then consider all the earth tremors that result in fracking, it cannot be a safe method?
Putin Launches "War On US Shale" After Dumping MbS & Breaking Up OPEC+ By Tyler Durden

Alexander Novak ( Russian Energy Minister) told his Saudi Arabian counterpart Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman that Russia was unwilling to cut oil production further. The Kremlin had decided that propping up prices as the coronavirus ravaged energy demand would be a gift to the U.S. shale industry. The frackers had added millions of barrels of oil to the global market while Russian companies kept wells idle. Now it was time to squeeze the Americans.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/53089.htm



Utter bollox... :roll:

Who would have thought with all the world's information at your fingertips you would have been taken in by 'Gaslands' a documentary that has been comprehensively debunked countless times over... Not only is 'gas from taps' a natural phenomena that has existed since before fracking, the 'earth tremors' are equivalent to a truck driving down the street...

Fracking is fundamentally safe and has the advantage over normal oil extraction that it can be turned on and off relatively easily. If the oil price falls below what is economically viable for fracking they'll just switch off and wait until it rises again.

But then you love a conspiracy theory so it really is no surprise that you have been taken in by the campaigners on this... :roll:

BTW there are thousands of fracked wells in the US and they have also been fracking in the UK for years... :wink:


You should offer your 'expert' services to the UK government? I seem to remember they have recently stopped fracking in the UK in the Blackpool area because of the significant increase in the number of lorries that were making the ground shake. I am sure they would welcome your guidance. :roll: But then I don't follow much UK news!

FYI: Gas is lighter than air, it will therefore will always accumulate naturally on the top of the area being fracked and then slowly seep into these wells. Seems like logic to me ..... if fracking pressures are higher than that found in the ground the gas will rise. So didn't really need the video to indicate this is a known result and happens naturally as well.
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3812
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Oil

Postby cyprusgrump » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:55 pm

Robin Hood wrote:
cyprusgrump wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:Kikapu:
These low oil prices will put an end to fracking, no?

As ye sow, so shall ye reap. It can’t be said that Putin’s response was a knee jerk reaction but I think it could well collapse the fracking industry in the US and elsewhere because it will become economically non-viable. But fracking is also very environmentally un-friendly.

Some time ago I watched a documentary about fracking and it showed homes in the US (I can’t remember where) that got their water from wells and had done so for generations. Now, when they opened the tap in the kitchen, instead of just clear water they got gas as well! They just struck a match and they got a sustained flame! If you then consider all the earth tremors that result in fracking, it cannot be a safe method?
Putin Launches "War On US Shale" After Dumping MbS & Breaking Up OPEC+ By Tyler Durden

Alexander Novak ( Russian Energy Minister) told his Saudi Arabian counterpart Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman that Russia was unwilling to cut oil production further. The Kremlin had decided that propping up prices as the coronavirus ravaged energy demand would be a gift to the U.S. shale industry. The frackers had added millions of barrels of oil to the global market while Russian companies kept wells idle. Now it was time to squeeze the Americans.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/53089.htm



Utter bollox... :roll:

Who would have thought with all the world's information at your fingertips you would have been taken in by 'Gaslands' a documentary that has been comprehensively debunked countless times over... Not only is 'gas from taps' a natural phenomena that has existed since before fracking, the 'earth tremors' are equivalent to a truck driving down the street...

Fracking is fundamentally safe and has the advantage over normal oil extraction that it can be turned on and off relatively easily. If the oil price falls below what is economically viable for fracking they'll just switch off and wait until it rises again.

But then you love a conspiracy theory so it really is no surprise that you have been taken in by the campaigners on this... :roll:

BTW there are thousands of fracked wells in the US and they have also been fracking in the UK for years... :wink:


You should offer your 'expert' services to the UK government? I seem to remember they have recently stopped fracking in the UK in the Blackpool area because of the significant increase in the number of lorries that were making the ground shake. I am sure they would welcome your guidance. :roll: But then I don't follow much UK news!

FYI: Gas is lighter than air, it will therefore will always accumulate naturally on the top of the area being fracked and then slowly seep into these wells. Seems like logic to me ..... if fracking pressures are higher than that found in the ground the gas will rise. So didn't really need the video to indicate this is a known result and happens naturally as well.



Nice Straw Man argument about the UK although I believe they are still fracking in Dorset (Wytch Farm) where they have been at it since 1979 with no gas coming out of taps or buildings falling down due to 'Earth tremors'...? :roll:

Perhaps you can tell us (with information harvested from your myriad of non-MSM sources) how many fracking sites there are in the US that have enabled them to become self sufficient in oil and how many instances of water pollution, 'Earth tremors' or flames erupting from taps...? :wink:

That the Greens have decided fracking is bad (along with just about everything else a modern society relies on) doesn't in itself make fracking bad or harmful - unluss you are a conspiracy theorist obviously... :lol:

Oh and BTW...

Robin Hood wrote:FYI: Gas is lighter than air, it will therefore will always accumulate naturally on the top of the area being fracked and then slowly seep into these wells. Seems like logic to me ..... if fracking pressures are higher than that found in the ground the gas will rise. So didn't really need the video to indicate this is a known result and happens naturally as well.


Don't try and come the old, "I'm an expert" when you yourself put your 'expertise' down to watching the discredited Gaslands... :lol:

Robin Hood wrote:Some time ago I watched a documentary about fracking and it showed homes in the US (I can’t remember where) that got their water from wells and had done so for generations. Now, when they opened the tap in the kitchen, instead of just clear water they got gas as well! They just struck a match and they got a sustained flame! If you then consider all the earth tremors that result in fracking, it cannot be a safe method?
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7802
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Re: Oil

Postby erolz66 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:59 pm

cyprusgrump wrote:Nice Straw Man argument about the UK although I believe they are still fracking in Dorset (Wytch Farm) where they have been at it since 1979 with no gas coming out of taps or buildings falling down due to 'Earth tremors'...? :roll:


http://frackfreenotts.org.uk/fracking-m ... 3-decades/

Yet the shale gas industry and various politicians try to muddy the waters by using ‘fracking’ to describe both techniques, thus implying that the controversial technique of HVHF fracking has been used for decades, which is not the case.


Not just those in the shale gas industry and their paid politicians then. Looks like 'ordinary people' like cg like to muddy the waters too :lol: :lol: :lol:
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3273
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Oil

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:40 pm

erolz66 wrote:
cyprusgrump wrote:Nice Straw Man argument about the UK although I believe they are still fracking in Dorset (Wytch Farm) where they have been at it since 1979 with no gas coming out of taps or buildings falling down due to 'Earth tremors'...? :roll:


http://frackfreenotts.org.uk/fracking-m ... 3-decades/

Yet the shale gas industry and various politicians try to muddy the waters by using ‘fracking’ to describe both techniques, thus implying that the controversial technique of HVHF fracking has been used for decades, which is not the case.


Not just those in the shale gas industry and their paid politicians then. Looks like 'ordinary people' like cg like to muddy the waters too :lol: :lol: :lol:


You beat me to it! :wink: But I will post my reply anyway.

Goodness me! 40 years in the chemical industry and 25 of it in oil/gas and from The North Sea to Saudi, with several other countries in between, and I didn’t learn a thing about it!

Cyprus Grump: So this is your ‘expert’ …… I doubt she would know an oil drilling installation if she bumped into it? She clearly does not known the difference between ‘fracking’ that causes problems and the conventional method of sea water injection:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/10233955/The-town-where-a-form-of-fracking-is-already-happening.html

Now THAT is all bollox!

How about you learning about what happens in the real World? :?:

Quote: So, when you hear someone say that ‘fracking has been done in the UK for decades’, ask them what they mean by ‘fracking’!

There is fracking and there is 'fracking', and Wytch Farm has NEVER used the High Volume Hydraulic Fracturing (HVHF) method, which is the one the US has adopted in very large numbers and the method that causes all the problems. Over a million of these are operating in the US apparently.

I would have thought someone with your expertise would have known that? Maybe checking facts before opening mouth would be good advice for you? :roll:

MYTH #3 “Fracking has been going on for decades.”

A good example of the industry spin around the word ‘fracking’ is Wytch Farm, in Poole, Dorset, which is the centre of Europe’s biggest oil field. Many supporters of HVHF fracking have cited Wytch farm as a model of responsible fracking, including an article in the Telegraph. However, there are very clear differences between Wytch Farm and the HGHV fracking that is causing such environmental problems elsewhere.

Firstly, Wytch Farm is a conventional oil and gas field, from which the hydrocarbons flow freely, and does not produce oil or gas by blasting high-pressure frack fluid into tight shale rock or coal seams. Of the 199 wells drilled at Wytch Farm not a single one is classified as either Coal Bed Methane or Shale Gas. Also the oil field is actually out at sea, and is accessed via a series of horizontal wells drilled from the 18-hectare well-site in Poole Harbour. Finally, what well-stimulation that has occurred there to extend the life of the wells has been with sea water injected at low pressure, with no added chemicals. This is very different to HVHF fracking, which has never been done at Wytch Farm.

So, when you hear someone say that ‘fracking has been done in the UK for decades’, ask them what they mean by ‘fracking’!

http://frackfreenotts.org.uk/fracking-myths/myth-3-decades/
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3812
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Oil

Postby cyprusgrump » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:53 pm

Robin Hood wrote:
erolz66 wrote:
cyprusgrump wrote:Nice Straw Man argument about the UK although I believe they are still fracking in Dorset (Wytch Farm) where they have been at it since 1979 with no gas coming out of taps or buildings falling down due to 'Earth tremors'...? :roll:


http://frackfreenotts.org.uk/fracking-m ... 3-decades/

Yet the shale gas industry and various politicians try to muddy the waters by using ‘fracking’ to describe both techniques, thus implying that the controversial technique of HVHF fracking has been used for decades, which is not the case.


Not just those in the shale gas industry and their paid politicians then. Looks like 'ordinary people' like cg like to muddy the waters too :lol: :lol: :lol:


You beat me to it! :wink: But I will post my reply anyway.

Goodness me! 40 years in the chemical industry and 25 of it in oil/gas and from The North Sea to Saudi, with several other countries in between, and I didn’t learn a thing about it!

Cyprus Grump: So this is your ‘expert’ …… I doubt she would know an oil drilling installation if she bumped into it? She clearly does not known the difference between ‘fracking’ that causes problems and the conventional method of sea water injection:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/10233955/The-town-where-a-form-of-fracking-is-already-happening.html

Now THAT is all bollox!

How about you learning about what happens in the real World? :?:

Quote: So, when you hear someone say that ‘fracking has been done in the UK for decades’, ask them what they mean by ‘fracking’!

There is fracking and there is 'fracking', and Wytch Farm has NEVER used the High Volume Hydraulic Fracturing (HVHF) method, which is the one the US has adopted in very large numbers and the method that causes all the problems. Over a million of these are operating in the US apparently.

I would have thought someone with your expertise would have known that? Maybe checking facts before opening mouth would be good advice for you? :roll:

MYTH #3 “Fracking has been going on for decades.”

A good example of the industry spin around the word ‘fracking’ is Wytch Farm, in Poole, Dorset, which is the centre of Europe’s biggest oil field. Many supporters of HVHF fracking have cited Wytch farm as a model of responsible fracking, including an article in the Telegraph. However, there are very clear differences between Wytch Farm and the HGHV fracking that is causing such environmental problems elsewhere.

Firstly, Wytch Farm is a conventional oil and gas field, from which the hydrocarbons flow freely, and does not produce oil or gas by blasting high-pressure frack fluid into tight shale rock or coal seams. Of the 199 wells drilled at Wytch Farm not a single one is classified as either Coal Bed Methane or Shale Gas. Also the oil field is actually out at sea, and is accessed via a series of horizontal wells drilled from the 18-hectare well-site in Poole Harbour. Finally, what well-stimulation that has occurred there to extend the life of the wells has been with sea water injected at low pressure, with no added chemicals. This is very different to HVHF fracking, which has never been done at Wytch Farm.

So, when you hear someone say that ‘fracking has been done in the UK for decades’, ask them what they mean by ‘fracking’!

http://frackfreenotts.org.uk/fracking-myths/myth-3-decades/


Over a million in the US then? Operating successfully and making them self sufficient in oil... :wink:

And of those million or so fracked wells, how many disastrous 'Earth tremors' polluted water events or flames from taps were there...? :roll:

Can you answer, or will you and ErLOLZ just cling to the Straw Man of Wytch Farm...? :lol:
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7802
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CrookedRiverGuy and 0 guests