The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

words of the wise?

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

words of the wise?

Postby mehmet » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:19 pm

Quoted in todays Cyprus Mail the leader of RoC was reported to say

'From the beginning, they were planning for a separation. But in fact, the Turkish Cypriots were the ones who committed massacres. In 1963 we asked to increase police patrols, but they refused. From 1963 to 1974 how many Turkish Cypriots were killed? None.'

I understand he was being interviewed in the middle east for an Arabic newspaper.

If these quotes are correct they are a major indication of why he is unfit to solve Cyprus's problems. Did he live in a cave for 11 years? How can such an ignorant person be considered a partner for peace?
mehmet
Contributor
Contributor

Postby erolz » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:09 am

full (cyprus mail) article here

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main.ph ... 4&cat_id=1

full Khaleej Times article here

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Displayarti ... ember2.xml

It is hard to see how the statment about there having been no killing of TC in the period 63-74 is anything other than designed to thwart efforts at renuification? Designed to continue hatred and division.
Last edited by erolz on Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
erolz
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby erolz » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:18 am

also here is the prior interview by same journalist with Denktash

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Displayarti ... _july2.xml
erolz
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Piratis » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:08 am

I don't believe everything that this newspaper writes since some days ago they wrote that Christofias told them that he doesn't want a federal solution.

In any case, your leaders (and you?) call the Turkish invasion, that left behind 6.000 dead and 200.000 refugees, a "peace operation". I never saw you complaining about that. Why?

Actually such outrageous claims from your leaders are such a commonplace, that the news would be if they didn't make them not when they did.

Do you know the saying: "The donkey said the rooster has a big head"?
Piratis

Postby Bananiot » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:18 am

Typical answer from Piratis. Instead of addressing the issue he resorts to comments like "your are worse".
Bananiot
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby erolz » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:42 pm

Piratis wrote: I don't believe everything that this newspaper writes since some days ago they wrote that Christofias told them that he doesn't want a federal solution.

First appraoch - deny it happened.

Piratis wrote:
In any case, your leaders (and you?) call the Turkish invasion, that left behind 6.000 dead and 200.000 refugees, a "peace operation". I never saw you complaining about that. Why?

Second approach - 'two wrongs make a right'. There is a significant difference between describing an event differently and denying the event ever took place. If a TC political leader were to state that not a single GC was killed by TC or Turkish troops in 74 then you would see me complain. Also you would not see me justify such outrageous statments by pointing out GC leaders outrageous statements.
erolz
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Bananiot » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:11 pm

Even I, a staunch critic of president Papadopoulos, find it extremely hard to understand the content of his interviwe. As far as I know, the interviwe was revealed by "Alitheia" newspaper on Monday and till today there has been no official comment on it.

What amazes me is his viwe on the solution which he reckons will take at least 20 years more to happen. What kind of a solution can we hope for in 20 years? At best, confederation of two independent states, I think. Is this what he is after?

I have made my viwes known many times in this forum. I strongly believe that he does not want a solution (Katie said this in "Kibris too") and this stance is not of today only. He has rejected every single plan put forward since the very early sixties. This is the man, you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.

Regarding the murder of innocent TC's in the sixties, I remind all, that the paramilitary groups that tormented TC villages and communities were trained by Papadopoulos and Ioannides (Greek junta 1967-1974) and the leaders of these groups were, social nationalist Lyssarides, the late turk-eater Yiorkatzis and a certain T. Papadopoulos.
Bananiot
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby iskismet » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:43 pm

Platinos - this is not bias it is simply a statement of truth.

So surely, most GCs can understand the reluctance of the TCs to submit to a minority role?

Next question: Why would the GCs vote for someone who they must have known would not be trusted by a minority group and a person who in fact had been involved in the murders of some of the minority group.

It isn't just TP (or RD) who doesn't want a solution - I'd say the same thoughts/views from the voters allowed him into a position of power.

The more I look at the situation in Cyprus the less I understand.
iskismet

Postby michalis5354 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:21 pm

Ohhhh ! It is remarkable how he can change colours in different circumstanses. The fact that he is being involved in politics for so long and especially in the 60s , this makes him biased and not capable of bringing any change.

If I was in his case and I was a 70 year Old man I would resign straight away , and I would leave a younger person to become a president.All th e problems begin from here.
michalis5354
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby michalis5354 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:41 pm

Next question: Why would the GCs vote for someone who they must have known would not be trusted by a minority group

I really do not know! As far as I rememer at last elections not many alternatives to choose were there! I rememebr one was the prior president Clerides who was in power for 10 years , the other one was Markides , a fellow assistant of Clerides although he was quite younger he had similar approach to Clerides , and the orther one was Papadopoulos who was have been supported by two major GC parties and EDEK.

So taking into account the above, it is obvious that Not many alternatives to choose from were there!The fact the AKEL -a leading party strongly supporting the unification and the reconciliation of GCs and TCS - supported Papadopoulos this had a crucial effect on Papadopoulos election.
michalis5354
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Next

Return to Cyprus Problem