The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

CYPRUS CONFLICT SOLUTION

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

TWO STATES OR ONE?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:50 pm

TWO
25%
ONE
75%

Total votes : 20

Postby bill cobbett » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:16 pm

I would say VP that this, like so many other matters, has to be within the wider European framework.

Others and I have argued that a continued presence of the Turkish army isn't acceptable but would recognise the very legitimate security concerns of the other community. I would therefore argue for a withdrawal of Greek and Turkish forces and the disbanding of the National Guard and their replacement with a sizable force from fellow EU member states with suitable rules of engagement.

As for the matter of governance - the same way they do in the rest of Europe - one person, one vote with cross-community political parties.
Last edited by bill cobbett on Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill cobbett
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Location: Embargoed from Kyrenia by Jurkish Army and Genocided (many times) by Thieving, Brain-Washed Lordo

Postby Viewpoint » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:19 pm

bill cobbett wrote:I would say VP that this, like so many other matters, has to be within the wider European framework.

Others and I have argued that a continued presence of the Turkish army isn't acceptable but would recognise the very legitimate security concerns of the other community. I would therefore argue for a withdrawal of Greek and Turkish forces and the disbanding of the National Guard and their replacement with a sizable force from fellow EU member states with suitable rules of engagement.

The Annan plan reduced army presence down a symbolic number yet this was still not enough for GCs.

I agree we should get rid of all the army on both sides....the burning question for many TCs is regional control and Federal representation, how do you those working in practical terms?
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby bill cobbett » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:27 pm

Sorry VP I just added a sentence to my last post which reflects my position on this.

Forgive me trying to be consistent, but if the New Europe is the future for all of us, including Turkey, there cannot be one law or one underlying framework in France and Germany and elsewhere in the EU for several hundred millions and another one that is confined to a small corner of Europe with a population of 7/800,000.
bill cobbett
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Location: Embargoed from Kyrenia by Jurkish Army and Genocided (many times) by Thieving, Brain-Washed Lordo

Postby Viewpoint » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:44 pm

bill cobbett wrote:Sorry VP I just added a sentence to my last post which reflects my position on this.

Forgive me trying to be consistent, but if the New Europe is the future for all of us, including Turkey, there cannot be one law or one underlying framework in France and Germany and elsewhere in the EU for several hundred millions and another one that is confined to a small corner of Europe with a population of 7/800,000.

So according to you and with our past track record of respresenting each others best interests the TCs are faced with being a minority in a GC state with a ratio of 8/2 or continue as is and pursue goals to ease isolation to a degree where we will have the same rights as everyone else in the EU and the rest of the world. I definately know which one I want.
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby shahmaran » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:49 pm

wouldnt it be in the interests of the GCs also, to help us lift the isolations, and try to slowly break away from Turkey?
shahmaran
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby Viewpoint » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:56 pm

shahmaran wrote:wouldnt it be in the interests of the GCs also, to help us lift the isolations, and try to slowly break away from Turkey?

The GCs don't see it that way, they feel if we have the freedom to strengthen our economy and have all the rights they enjoy themselves we will no longer have any incentive to want a solution.
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby bill cobbett » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:01 pm

If I felt that the actions that Shahmaran describes is the first step which as he says may help in a breakaway from Turkey; and also to the single sovereign state that I have advocated, then I would agree with this view but I would like to see "a road map" that starts with Shahmaran's hope and leads ultimately to my utopian solution.
bill cobbett
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Viewpoint » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:12 pm

bill cobbett wrote:If I felt that the actions that Shahmaran describes is the first step which as he says may help in a breakaway from Turkey; and also to the single sovereign state that I have advocated, then I would agree with this view but I would like to see "a road map" that starts with Shahmaran's hope and leads ultimately to my utopian solution.

Isn't what shahmaran says obvious, we are economically dependent on Turkey how on earth does the south expect us to move closer to them. Their mentality tells them any progress in the north will move us away from desiring a solution. I do not agree with this if people can see that a united Cyprus will benefit them they will demand it but the first step is what we have been asking for all along and hopefully with the weight of the German EU presidency we will take a few steps in that direct but never forget people view the GCs has being the main obstacle to achieving this goal and that alienates us from them, they would do themselves a great favor if they worked towards assisting the north in progressing on all levels towards the EU and themselves. Otherwise the north as is the case will never leave the safe haven of Turkeys arms.
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Pyrpolizer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Viewpoint wrote:
shahmaran wrote:wouldnt it be in the interests of the GCs also, to help us lift the isolations, and try to slowly break away from Turkey?

The GCs don't see it that way, they feel if we have the freedom to strengthen our economy and have all the rights they enjoy themselves we will no longer have any incentive to want a solution.

What incentive would you have :?: :?: :?: :?:
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby Viewpoint » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:20 pm

Pyrpolizer wrote:
Viewpoint wrote:

What incentive would you have :?: :?: :?: :?:

Recognition,

Joining with our GC brothers :wink: ,

Stronger Joint Economy,

Establishing Trust,

Breaking away from Turkey,

Ho I nearly forgot OIL :lol:
Viewpoint
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem