The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content

Cornelius Desmond O'Dwyer's Press Release

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Postby BigDutch » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:09 am

ah ! how silly of me to forget. Because he is a Brit, it is a funny story and not to be taken seriously ! Only real justice occurs if you are a Cypriot, for example, caught on video taking a beating from a larger group or convicted of driving offences ... oh wait, hold on. Chuck me another banana re koumbare
BigDutch
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jack M » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:11 am

RichardB wrote:
Jack M wrote:I suppose the couple in their 70s who finally got 'justice' after waiting 12 years for their negligence case to get through court costing them their health, happiness and relationship feel they went about it the right way not seeking help from the media sooner.

I'm sure they agree with you when you say there really are ways to get justice in Cyprus.

Whether Conor has your sympathy or not really isn't going to be life changing for him. As he posted earlier, he was invited into the Cypriot High Commission yesterday for coffee to discuss the ongoing matter and also the Director of the Presidential Office invited him to discuss his plight so the opinion of a few pea-brained members on here just doesn't matter.

Jack M

I do not know the couple in their seventies you mention

All i Know is that if you let things take there course in Cyprus then eventually justice will prevail

Now please dont let me assume anything that you purport to know but if (and only if) Mr O Dwyer had bided his time and taken his case through the proper channels then he would not be in the predicament he is today

Actually Richard I can tell you of a very similar case to Conor's that has been going on for longer than his. The victim in the case however was assaulted by a lawyer rather than the developer although luckily there was no injury. The lawyer is such a coward he only feels brave enough to pick on lone women.

The government in this particular case have admitted liability for accepting obviously fraudulent paperwork which allowed her contract to be withdrawn from the land registry and also allowed the property to be resold.

However, one thing in common with Conor's case is that she has still not had any offer of compensation despite the admission of liability. The lawyer is under investigation by the the police but it is equally the fault of the land registry that she is in the position she is and has been for 4 years now. It should of course come as no surprise that it is the same law firm as is involved in the illegal resale of Conor's house and has already been in court before for reselling another house twice. Why on earth they are still allowed to practice is anyone's guess.

You may think that you will eventually get justice in Cyprus but 12 years should be the exception rather than the norm.

Conor has taken his case through the proper channels and the Attorney General decided that selling a house twice was not against the law.
Jack M

Postby Mani » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:40 am

Jack M wrote:
RichardB wrote:
Jack M wrote:I suppose the couple in their 70s who finally got 'justice' after waiting 12 years for their negligence case to get through court costing them their health, happiness and relationship feel they went about it the right way not seeking help from the media sooner.

I'm sure they agree with you when you say there really are ways to get justice in Cyprus.

Whether Conor has your sympathy or not really isn't going to be life changing for him. As he posted earlier, he was invited into the Cypriot High Commission yesterday for coffee to discuss the ongoing matter and also the Director of the Presidential Office invited him to discuss his plight so the opinion of a few pea-brained members on here just doesn't matter.

Jack M

I do not know the couple in their seventies you mention

All i Know is that if you let things take there course in Cyprus then eventually justice will prevail

Now please dont let me assume anything that you purport to know but if (and only if) Mr O Dwyer had bided his time and taken his case through the proper channels then he would not be in the predicament he is today

Actually Richard I can tell you of a very similar case to Conor's that has been going on for longer than his. The victim in the case however was assaulted by a lawyer rather than the developer although luckily there was no injury. The lawyer is such a coward he only feels brave enough to pick on lone women.

The government in this particular case have admitted liability for accepting obviously fraudulent paperwork which allowed her contract to be withdrawn from the land registry and also allowed the property to be resold.

However, one thing in common with Conor's case is that she has still not had any offer of compensation despite the admission of liability. The lawyer is under investigation by the the police but it is equally the fault of the land registry that she is in the position she is and has been for 4 years now. It should of course come as no surprise that it is the same law firm as is involved in the illegal resale of Conor's house and has already been in court before for reselling another house twice. Why on earth they are still allowed to practice is anyone's guess.

You may think that you will eventually get justice in Cyprus but 12 years should be the exception rather than the norm.

Conor has taken his case through the proper channels and the Attorney General decided that selling a house twice was not against the law.

Jack you must not judge Greek Cypriots too harshly, they are above the law and they can make things up as they go along. It comes from being ruled by others for thousands of years and suddenly having the freedom to choose.
Not forgetting the video evidence of two young men being beaten up by policeman being discarded in a court of law. It can only happen here.
Unfortunately you cannot make a dog out of the wolf. You can try like many others and you will fail. It takes thousands of years if not millions.
Mani

Postby Get Real! » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Mani wrote:Jack you must not judge Greek Cypriots too harshly, they are above the law and they can make things up as they go along. It comes from being ruled by others for thousands of years and suddenly having the freedom to choose.
Not forgetting the video evidence of two young men being beaten up by policeman being discarded in a court of law. It can only happen here.
Unfortunately you cannot make a dog out of the wolf. You can try like many others and you will fail. It takes thousands of years if not millions.

Oh look! Y-Fronts has morphed into yet another virtual warrior! 8)

You incompetent fuck! Image
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Milo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Kara anus have fancy new offices in Paralimni a few people are going to go up there and flog em to Lidl while they are in prison see if they like it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Milo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Svetlana » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:49 am

There is reference to concerns over Freedom of Speech on-line in Cyprus - they should look at the CyProb Section some time, always plenty of freedom there ....lol

State sues O’Dwyer over website

CONOR O’DWYER will move into a self constructed ‘cardboard villa’ outside the presidential palace in an attempt to highlight a state criminal case being brought against him for publishing his story on the internet.
It is the latest twist to the on-going saga which last week saw a developer from Paralimni, his son and an associate convicted of the assault and actual body harm of the British man in a dispute over property.
The new case against O’Dwyer was filed by the Paralimni Police Chief in connection to O’Dwyer uploading material, including phone calls and emails relating to his property dispute, to the internet in 2006.
O’Dwyer says he built his website to prevent and detect a crime, whilst highlighting his plight during his dispute with Karayiannas Developers.
It has been confirmed that the state will proceed with the extraordinary action, case 793/2010, which could raise significant issues concerning freedom of speech online in Cyprus.
O’Dwyer is set to appear in court in late November in relation to the case.
In a separate development, O’Dwyer will arrive on the island this weekend to witness the sentencing of the three men convicted of assaulting him outside the disputed property two-years ago. The controversy between the two parties began five years ago when O’Dwyer claimed he purchased a house in Frenaros that was then resold without his knowledge by the developers.
Developer Christoforos Karayiannas 55, his son Marios Karayiannas, 35, and Charalambous Ttigis, 31, will be sentenced on Monday morning following mitigation at Larnaca District Court.
The three men have been held in police custody since last Wednesday.
During the trial, the court heard how the men rammed O’Dwyer’s hire car at a busy junction in the eastern village of Frenaros, he was then subjected to a savage beating, including having his head stamped on – the attack left him in hospital for a week.
The assault resulted in O’Dwyer receiving deep tissue injuries near his kidneys, loss of balance from ear injuries and severe bruising to his body and face.
A letter presented to the court by his doctor stated that, “Since that time (the assault) he has suffered from severe vertigo which was worsened by movement. This had prevented him from performing normal daily activities.”
O’Dwyer, who lives with wife and two children in Surrey, will start the protest outside the presidential palace on Monday November 8.
The national ITV network is currently following the case and will be in Cyprus to film the palace protest for their prime-time programme “Homes From Hell”.
The palace protests will be indefinite and are planned to take place between court dates in regard to a civil case for breach of contract and a private criminal case of fraud in the unlawful selling of his house.
Svetlana
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby Sotos » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:56 am

They should also sue him for site he made with racist remarks against all Cypriots. In the end justice will be served. Those who assaulted him will be convicted, if his claims are true then he will also get a fair result for his house and also Conor should be punished for the libel against Cyprus and for trying to obstruct the normal court procedures. Then justice will be served :)
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor

Postby supporttheunderdog » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Those who assulted him HAVE been convicted. May they rot in prison.

See website http://lyingbuilder.com/response.html which shows the story. As far as I know no evidence whatsover has been produced to support any of the allegations of the developers and their lawyers against O'Dwyer.

What is otherwise ilegal about anything on the website?
supporttheunderdog
Main Contributor
Main Contributor

Postby Get Real! » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Politicizing a commercial dispute should be a criminal offence and especially in a politically troubled country like Cyprus!

I for one do NOT appreciate this British vagabond O’Dwyer badmouthing my country just because he was too incompetent to handle a commercial dispute in a civilized and orderly manner.

I remind you O’Dwyer, that you’re not the first or the last person to build a house in Cyprus! In fact some of us have built our houses ourselves without the guidance and support of foremen and developers, so a fool like you can only imagine the amount of research, labour, and pain we had to go through to get things right over a period of 4-5 years!

And yes, I had COUNTLESS disputes and arguments with a wide range of trades people…

From the first electrician who was getting everything wrong, (2) to the marble supplier who delivered cracked pieces, (3) the sewerage guy who dug the hole 2 meters deeper than I requested (12m instead of 10m) just so he could charge more, (4) the crazy paving people who blocked part of the drainage with that fine powder/die and we had to dig up a section and do it again! There’s more but I can’t remember everything right now!

…but I NEVER crossed the red line that separates us humans from animals because I knew that at the end of the day we needed each other to see the problem through and that only through persistent peaceful negotiations and diplomacy could anything be resolved. In the end EVERYTHING was resolved and I still retained a good relationship with all the companies involved!

With your “logic” O’Dwyer, I had two dozen reasons to blame the whole world for my troubles not just Cyprus, but I did not and instead each time I concentrated on the person or company responsible because I knew I was dealing with INDIVIDUALS and not countries!

Btw, I haven’t mentioned the many great trades people that did a PERFECT job and far outnumbered the bad.

O’Dwyer, you’re a selfish, irresponsible and incompetent little weasel!

No regards!
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Milo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:16 pm

Article 19 of the Constitution of the Republic of Cyprus provides the right to freedom of speech and expression in any form. This right includes freedom to hold opinions and receive and impart information and ideas without interference by any public authority and regardless of frontiers.

The World Press Freedom Index 2010 places Cyprus 45th in its record - down 20 places from last year. (The occupied areas of the island are placed 61st).

A quote taken from the Cyprus Mail today discussing the website case brought by the state :roll: , front page story expected on Tuesday about the convictions and the sentences handed down.

"Amazingly the AG sees this as "The Main Event", not the illegal re-selling of a house, not the then, illegal occupation of that house, not the assault of Conor O'Dwyer when gathering evidence for the court cases to follow, no, the main event is that Conor wanted to tell people about it, to gather information clearly in the public interest.

Does the AG and then the government actually believe that they can now censor the internet, they have obviously never heard the expression, "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging".

The AG has no credibility whatsoever and he should really now I think, reconsider his position.................laughing stock does not even come close."
Milo
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat