The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


news: nine candidates will run for President

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: news: nine candidates will run for President

Postby Sotos » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Get Real! wrote:
Sotos wrote:
Zenon33 wrote:Papadopoulos is more nationalist than Anastasiades.

Can you support that argument? Anastasiades and his party are the ones who still honor Grivas and have the son of Samson as a parliament member (and many other former EOKA B as their members), their supporters fly the most Greek flags etc. So based on what you make that claim?

You need to learn the difference between a Cypriot nationalist and a Greek nationalist.

Definition of “nationalist”:

“Devotion, especially excessive or undiscriminating devotion, to the interests or culture of a particular nation-state.”

The Papadopoulos family was always Cypriot nationalist, while Nicos was the latter.

End of story.


repulsewarrior, was talking about "Cypriot" and "Greek" candidates and my response was specifically for "Greek nationalism".
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10886
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: news: nine candidates will run for President

Postby Sotos » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:11 pm

DT. wrote:DISY favours a confederation that would allow a turkish and greek state to live side by side without interfering with each other.


DISY doesn't claim that it supports a confederation neither the deal they were about to make (if Turkey made a concession to the guarantees issue) would lead to "a turkish and greek state to live side by side without interfering with each other". The deal Anastasiades was about to make would downgrade our side from a country to a component-state while it would upgrade the "trnc" from a pseudo-state to a legal component-state and then the two sides would share power 50%-50%. That means our country would not be able to take any decision without the approval of the Turks. So why do you prefer a form of partition where we are equated with the "trnc" and our country can not take any decision without the approval of the Turks, instead of the kind of partition we have now? Yes, Papadopoulos will not sign any deal, and that is clearly the best feasible option. If what you want is "a turkish and greek state to live side by side without interfering with each other" just so we will get some land back and settle the property issue (because these are the only positives of such a solution in an ocean of negatives), then we would as well go for a 2 separate countries partition - return of land in exchange for recognition. The kind of partition that DISY and AKEL support is the WORST kind of partition... worst than what we have now and worst than a 2 country partition agreement!
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10886
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: news: nine candidates will run for President

Postby Sotos » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:20 pm

CBBB wrote:
Get Real! wrote:The Papadopoulos family was always Cypriot nationalist, while Nicos was the latter.


I think that should read Money/Power Nationalist!


I think you read too much Cyprus Mail ;)
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10886
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: news: nine candidates will run for President

Postby Zenon33 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:51 pm

Sotos wrote:
DT. wrote:DISY favours a confederation that would allow a turkish and greek state to live side by side without interfering with each other.


DISY doesn't claim that it supports a confederation neither the deal they were about to make (if Turkey made a concession to the guarantees issue) would lead to "a turkish and greek state to live side by side without interfering with each other". The deal Anastasiades was about to make would downgrade our side from a country to a component-state while it would upgrade the "trnc" from a pseudo-state to a legal component-state and then the two sides would share power 50%-50%. That means our country would not be able to take any decision without the approval of the Turks. So why do you prefer a form of partition where we are equated with the "trnc" and our country can not take any decision without the approval of the Turks, instead of the kind of partition we have now? Yes, Papadopoulos will not sign any deal, and that is clearly the best feasible option. If what you want is "a turkish and greek state to live side by side without interfering with each other" just so we will get some land back and settle the property issue (because these are the only positives of such a solution in an ocean of negatives), then we would as well go for a 2 separate countries partition - return of land in exchange for recognition. The kind of partition that DISY and AKEL support is the WORST kind of partition... worst than what we have now and worst than a 2 country partition agreement!




So?.
And you said that the man who want the "Trnc" a legal state with the RoC is more "greek nationalist" than the man who will not sign this deal?.
User avatar
Zenon33
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:49 pm
Location: Limassol, Cyprus

Re: news: nine candidates will run for President

Postby Sotos » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:44 am

Zenon33 wrote:
Sotos wrote:
DT. wrote:DISY favours a confederation that would allow a turkish and greek state to live side by side without interfering with each other.


DISY doesn't claim that it supports a confederation neither the deal they were about to make (if Turkey made a concession to the guarantees issue) would lead to "a turkish and greek state to live side by side without interfering with each other". The deal Anastasiades was about to make would downgrade our side from a country to a component-state while it would upgrade the "trnc" from a pseudo-state to a legal component-state and then the two sides would share power 50%-50%. That means our country would not be able to take any decision without the approval of the Turks. So why do you prefer a form of partition where we are equated with the "trnc" and our country can not take any decision without the approval of the Turks, instead of the kind of partition we have now? Yes, Papadopoulos will not sign any deal, and that is clearly the best feasible option. If what you want is "a turkish and greek state to live side by side without interfering with each other" just so we will get some land back and settle the property issue (because these are the only positives of such a solution in an ocean of negatives), then we would as well go for a 2 separate countries partition - return of land in exchange for recognition. The kind of partition that DISY and AKEL support is the WORST kind of partition... worst than what we have now and worst than a 2 country partition agreement!




So?.
And you said that the man who want the "Trnc" a legal state with the RoC is more "greek nationalist" than the man who will not sign this deal?.


Note that I put "Greek nationalist" in quotes. In reality none of the main Cypriot parties are nationalist parties of any kind. The reason that DISY reluctantly support such a deal is because this is what the Americans want them to do. That "ΔΗΣΥ" sounds the same as "Δύση" is not a coincidence.
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10886
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: news: nine candidates will run for President

Postby Get Real! » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:26 am

Zenon33 wrote:And you said that the man who want the "Trnc" a legal state with the RoC is more "greek nationalist" than the man who will not sign this deal?.

That's sounds correct...

Greek nationalism: Belief in dichotomy forming a “Greek” part and “Turkish” part.

Cypriot nationalism: Belief in an independent unitary Cypriot state.


I quote the traitor Sampson, from 1976: “Unfortunately, it is the partition we had to have!” (see U-tube video)

What the TCs still don’t seem to realize is that EOKA B was doing their bidding!
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40905
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: news: nine candidates will run for President

Postby Sotos » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:21 am

Greek nationalism: Belief in dichotomy forming a “Greek” part and “Turkish” part.


That is the most stupid think you ever wrote. Nationalism of any kind is bad and can lead to bad things, but no kind of nationalist, "Greek" or "Cypriot", wants Cyprus to be split in “Greek” and “Turkish” parts. Any Greek Cypriot that accepts such thing accepts it as a compromise (apart maybe from a few traitors). The only nationalist party in Cyprus is ELAM, and they are definitely "Greek nationalists" and they are the ones who openly support a unitary Cypriot state as a solution. So your argument doesn't hold at all.
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10886
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: news: nine candidates will run for President

Postby Get Real! » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:35 am

Sotos wrote:
Greek nationalism: Belief in dichotomy forming a “Greek” part and “Turkish” part.

That is the most stupid think you ever wrote. Nationalism of any kind is bad and can lead to bad things, but no kind of nationalist, "Greek" or "Cypriot", wants Cyprus to be split in “Greek” and “Turkish” parts. Any Greek Cypriot that accepts such thing accepts it as a compromise (apart maybe from a few traitors). The only nationalist party in Cyprus is ELAM, and they are definitely "Greek nationalists" and they are the ones who openly support a unitary Cypriot state as a solution. So your argument doesn't hold at all.

The Greek government’s collusion in the 1974 dichotomy of Cyprus is a well known fact Sotos, and the Cypriot traitors who were Greek nationalists and executed the dichotomy plan with the removal of Makarios, knew exactly what they were doing... as Sampson later verified.

In fact the Greek government was upset when Turkey went PAST the pre-agreed demarcation line! No honor among criminals! :lol:

Why else would EOKA B carry out a coup to remove the Cypriot democratically elected president of an independent UN-member Cyprus, if not to facilitate dichotomy and destroy this independence?
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40905
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: news: nine candidates will run for President

Postby kurupetos » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:05 pm

Sotos wrote:
Greek nationalism: Belief in dichotomy forming a “Greek” part and “Turkish” part.


That is the most stupid think you ever wrote. Nationalism of any kind is bad and can lead to bad things, but no kind of nationalist, "Greek" or "Cypriot", wants Cyprus to be split in “Greek” and “Turkish” parts. Any Greek Cypriot that accepts such thing accepts it as a compromise (apart maybe from a few traitors). The only nationalist party in Cyprus is ELAM, and they are definitely "Greek nationalists" and they are the ones who openly support a unitary Cypriot state as a solution. So your argument doesn't hold at all.

I agree. :mrgreen:
User avatar
kurupetos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Cyprus

Re: news: nine candidates will run for President

Postby Get Real! » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:57 pm

kurupetos wrote:
Sotos wrote:
Greek nationalism: Belief in dichotomy forming a “Greek” part and “Turkish” part.


That is the most stupid think you ever wrote. Nationalism of any kind is bad and can lead to bad things, but no kind of nationalist, "Greek" or "Cypriot", wants Cyprus to be split in “Greek” and “Turkish” parts. Any Greek Cypriot that accepts such thing accepts it as a compromise (apart maybe from a few traitors). The only nationalist party in Cyprus is ELAM, and they are definitely "Greek nationalists" and they are the ones who openly support a unitary Cypriot state as a solution. So your argument doesn't hold at all.

I agree. :mrgreen:

So how do you go about implementing enosis with Greece Kurupet, without the dissolution of the republic? :?

Surely you didn’t assume you can accommodate them both? :? :lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 40905
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests