The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The war against Cyprus.

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: The war against Cyprus.

Postby Lordo » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:53 pm

repulsewarrior wrote:...by the way, can anybody help me by finding a copy of the Cypriot National Anthem, the one, before it was replaced by the current song? It's been years that i've been searching, never having found the lyrics or the tune that's played.


You mean this one?

"Ύμνος της Κυπριακής Δημοκρατίας"
"Kıbrıs Cumhuriyeti Marşı"
"Anthem of the Republic of Cyprus"

Composed by Solon Michaelides (Σόλων Μιχαηλίδης, Solon Mihailidis)

User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 21561
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free. Walk on Swine walk on

Re: The war against Cyprus.

Postby repulsewarrior » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:33 pm

...thanks guys, much appreciated; your efforts. (still a mystery, despite the information)
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13998
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: The war against Cyprus.

Postby Lordo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:06 am

repulsewarrior wrote:...thanks guys, much appreciated; your efforts. (still a mystery, despite the information)

There is no mystery about it RW. Makarios having approved it shelved it and made sure nobody had access to it and then took up Greek national anthem. He never stopped believing Enosis with Greece till the moment he died. I wonder if he changed his mind with his last breath.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 21561
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free. Walk on Swine walk on

Re: The war against Cyprus.

Postby repulsewarrior » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:20 pm

Lordo wrote:
repulsewarrior wrote:...thanks guys, much appreciated; your efforts. (still a mystery, despite the information)

There is no mystery about it RW. Makarios having approved it shelved it and made sure nobody had access to it and then took up Greek national anthem. He never stopped believing Enosis with Greece till the moment he died. I wonder if he changed his mind with his last breath.


...was it four assassination attempts?
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13998
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: The war against Cyprus.

Postby Lordo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:36 pm

repulsewarrior wrote:
Lordo wrote:
repulsewarrior wrote:...thanks guys, much appreciated; your efforts. (still a mystery, despite the information)

There is no mystery about it RW. Makarios having approved it shelved it and made sure nobody had access to it and then took up Greek national anthem. He never stopped believing Enosis with Greece till the moment he died. I wonder if he changed his mind with his last breath.


...was it four assassination attempts?

Yes it was 4/ One was when the helicopter he was in was shot down. He survived. I was there and remember this event very clearly.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 21561
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free. Walk on Swine walk on

Re: The war against Cyprus.

Postby repulsewarrior » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:37 pm

...and who did he blame, when standing at the UN after the coup?
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13998
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: The war against Cyprus.

Postby Lordo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:11 pm

repulsewarrior wrote:...and who did he blame, when standing at the UN after the coup?

You may well ask. As far as I remember, it was the the Greek Colonels. And yet he refused to remove all the Greek officers in the GCNG which were not part of the Greek Army contingent as per the 1960 agreement.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 21561
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free. Walk on Swine walk on

Re: The war against Cyprus.

Postby repulsewarrior » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:58 am

Lordo wrote:
repulsewarrior wrote:...and who did he blame, when standing at the UN after the coup?

You may well ask. As far as I remember, it was the the Greek Colonels. And yet he refused to remove all the Greek officers in the GCNG which were not part of the Greek Army contingent as per the 1960 agreement.


...actually he was in the very process of removing Officers when the coup occurred; as i read it, the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

...sadly Denktash did end his life hatefully, for "Turkishness" and not as a Cypriot: it was not the case for Makarios, (and it is hard for me to believe the notion) that he died with his last breath a "Greek".
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13998
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: The war against Cyprus.

Postby Lordo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:25 pm

repulsewarrior wrote:
Lordo wrote:
repulsewarrior wrote:...and who did he blame, when standing at the UN after the coup?

You may well ask. As far as I remember, it was the the Greek Colonels. And yet he refused to remove all the Greek officers in the GCNG which were not part of the Greek Army contingent as per the 1960 agreement.


...actually he was in the very process of removing Officers when the coup occurred; as i read it, the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

...sadly Denktash did end his life hatefully, for "Turkishness" and not as a Cypriot: it was not the case for Makarios, (and it is hard for me to believe the notion) that he died with his last breath a "Greek".

We will have to agree to disagree there RW. As far as Dengtash is concerned, we agree. How ever Dengtash was credited for saying the only Cypriots in Cyprus were the Cypriot donkeys. This is false. This was EOKA's mantra long before Dengtash mentioned it.

As far as Makarios is concerned after the coup, Cacoyanis in his film asked him about the demonstration he gave a speech to after 1974 when he returned. He was specifically asked about a person in the crown shouting "Ohi Enosis". He did not conform that he does not believe in Enosis any more, and yet he could have done there and then. Instead he claimed that the voice was saying "Ohi Anohi" meaning no change.

Makarios died believing in Enosis to his dying breath. I was not there but I am 100% certain he would have shown regret for not achieving it. Especially as his plan of economic suffocation of the TCs was working and the TC population was reducing gradually. it is difficult to say how long but sooner or later the TC community would have reduced to an insignificant number which would have facilitated his Eosis with his beloved Greece.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 21561
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free. Walk on Swine walk on

Re: The war against Cyprus.

Postby repulsewarrior » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:35 pm

...indeed, to "Them", 'we' are donkeys; it says a lot.

...regarding Makarios, he was Greek (and, was a "Greek"), i'll grant you that.

And thus,it is as i suggest, Cypriots, 'us', which must take back the words "They" turned into lies; what has been torn apart to join.

Enosis for example, what every Cypriot may say toasting each other in their gatherings as Cypriots in seeking the Cypriot way; that would piss "Them" off. We too can have picnics on our beaches, and we can sit under the one flag that is 'ours', the Flag of Cyprus, which both of "Them" have treated as a rag. Sharing in such kindness, unlike "Them", it is not hard for 'us' to defeat ''their'' myths. Indeed "donkeys", let 'us' show them what asses "They" are.

And Taksim (by saying Asiktir, together, will make it clear), "Motherland"and "Fatherland" it's time to go.
Last edited by repulsewarrior on Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 13998
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests