The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The US Election Thread: Trump Lives Matter

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: The US Election Thread: Trump Lives Matter

Postby Paphitis » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:23 pm

erolz66 wrote:Given your theory I guess you will be putting money on Labour losing the up coming election in NZ then ? You can get 8-1 on National to win the election ;)


No I won't put money on that one.

Adern hasn't actually gone down the radical path unlike what is happening elsewhere.

I can put money that labor won't win in Australia, and I will put money on Diktator Dan getting his arsehole handed to him in a landslide.

The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if Viktorians storm parliament house and bur it to the ground. The reason why the police are arresting people is because Viktorians are planning a massive demonstration in 2 weeks time. Social media is going bazerk. Pages with 500,000 members all planning this mega demonstration.

Can you imagine a demonstration of 100,000 to 200,000 people?





User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 28766
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The US Election Thread: Trump Lives Matter

Postby erolz66 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:48 pm

Paphitis wrote:Adern hasn't actually gone down the radical path unlike what is happening elsewhere.


As so often you are just talking total bollocks again. Adren's labour party is one of the most progressive in NZ history and is considerably more radical left than a Biden / Democrat ticket in the US is. Still no point in letting reality get in the way of your 'theory'.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4211
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: The US Election Thread: Trump Lives Matter

Postby Maximus » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:07 pm

erolz66 wrote:
Paphitis wrote:Adern hasn't actually gone down the radical path unlike what is happening elsewhere.


As so often you are just talking total bollocks again. Adren's labour party is one of the most progressive in NZ history and is considerably more radical left than a Biden / Democrat ticket in the US is. Still no point in letting reality get in the way of your 'theory'.


referring to the radical left as Progressive is a misnomer.

its like Antifa naming their organization from an amalgamation of the words anti-fascist when they are fascists.

its like calling yourself a democrat but exhibit an intolerance to other peoples rights.

Or naming your alliance, the friends of Syria, while bombing the place and supporting terrorist groups.

These are asymmetric decoys, expecting that most people wont observes your contents and actions, but just believes what you say it does on the tin.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5928
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: The US Election Thread: Trump Lives Matter

Postby erolz66 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:02 pm

Max the point remains. In the US or even in the UK compared to say labour under Blair, the simple reality is that Ardern's NZ labour party is way further 'left' that the 'left' in these countries. The idea that there is some kind of global rejection of left wing parties because they have become so radical is serioulsy undermined by the example of NZ. I have little doubt there are other places that also undermine such a theory as well, I just happen to know a bit about NZ politics.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4211
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: The US Election Thread: Trump Lives Matter

Postby Maximus » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:18 pm

I cant really comment on that because I dont know enough about the political situation in NZ,

From what I understand though, you are saying that NZ has a radical left government.

Ok, but how does that undermine the opinion that people will probably reject radical leftism in the other countries or even in NZ at the next election?

We are specifically talking about the US elections and generally about other countries.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5928
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: The US Election Thread: Trump Lives Matter

Postby Maximus » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:30 pm

Americans are responding to radical left wing rioters and the crime fears that emanate from that side of the political spectrum by buying guns. Smith and Wesson, who make guns, are reporting unprecedented demand.

That is how much support the left have in the US.

If it has gone to this extreme for a segment of society, I cant imagine the majority voting for that which is causing the extreme shift by some towards this level of self defense. in other words, the bell curve or normal distribution is shifting to the right because of the extremists on the left.

Just one example.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5928
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: The US Election Thread: Trump Lives Matter

Postby Londonrake » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:46 pm

New Zealand is bigger than the UK but with a population about half the size of London. Not really a good "global" example of political trends.
Londonrake
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2854
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: The US Election Thread: Trump Lives Matter

Postby erolz66 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:48 pm

Maximus wrote:From what I understand though, you are saying that NZ has a radical left government.


In comparison terms Ardern's labour party would be considerably closer to the UK Labour party under Corbyn than it would be to Labour under Tony Blair.

Maximus wrote:, but how does that undermine the opinion that people will probably reject radical leftism in the other countries or even in NZ at the next election?

We are specifically talking about the US elections and generally about other countries.


The odds (in decimal format) for a Labour victory in next NZ election due in 40 odd days time are 1.05 vs National (conservative) on 9.0 and any other party on 29.

I just do not see this mass dramatic global shift away from the left that you and Paphitis seem to see. Sure Trump won the last election but it was hardly decisive (lost the popular vote). Nor does it look to me anything other than close in the coming one. Sure if he wins a landslide in the next election then I will reevaluate in light of that but he he has not done so yet and again the odds currently indicate another tight race. As for the UK the tory party gained lots of traditional labour votes but not imo because Labour were 'too radical' but because of Brexit which blew apart the traditional 2 party normalities and loyalties. Currently in polls Labour and Conservative are near neck and neck in UK. I just see the normal ebb and flow between right and left to be honest.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4211
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: The US Election Thread: Trump Lives Matter

Postby Maximus » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:20 pm

So to summarize,

We are speculating and anticipating.

You dont see anything and want to talk when its history.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5928
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: The US Election Thread: Trump Lives Matter

Postby erolz66 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:29 pm

Maximus wrote:So to summarize,

We are speculating and anticipating.


As things stand right now I do not see clear cut evidence that supports the idea there has been some sort of remarkable global shift by 'western' electorates away from the left and to the right, driven by 'radical extreme left' polices.

If your speculation of a Trump landslide turns out to be the case, despite the odds indicating right now a close contest, then I will of course reconsider that view. Similarly if NZ Labour do not win the election there, against the current odds, I might reconsider. Until that time my view is as above.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4211
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests