The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Our ancient Cypriot bishop’s views on Hellenism

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Our ancient Cypriot bishop’s views on Hellenism

Postby Get Real! » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:48 pm

Paphitis wrote:We all know 100% as FACT that Paul wrote the Epistles to the Corinthians in Greek.

:roll: You keep moving the goalposts faster than you change shirts! :lol:

Look, I had a genuine amateur academic interest in religion from the time when I was around 22-23 years because I found it a fascinating mystery and I was hoping to someday make some sense out of it… but always knowing that much study had to come first and any conclusions much later.

You on the other hand, are not really interested in this subject but seem to assume that your “impeccable logic” will carry you through to a chocolate cookie! :lol:
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 43129
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Our ancient Cypriot bishop’s views on Hellenism

Postby Paphitis » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:16 pm

Get Real! wrote:
Paphitis wrote:We all know 100% as FACT that Paul wrote the Epistles to the Corinthians in Greek.

:roll: You keep moving the goalposts faster than you change shirts! :lol:

Look, I had a genuine amateur academic interest in religion from the time when I was around 22-23 years because I found it a fascinating mystery and I was hoping to someday make some sense out of it… but always knowing that much study had to come first and any conclusions much later.

You on the other hand, are not really interested in this subject but seem to assume that your “impeccable logic” will carry you through to a chocolate cookie! :lol:


I'm sorry, but referring to historical fact isn't moving the goalposts.

Citing some zealot text that identifies pagan worshipers as heretics as a backhander to the Hellenistic culture however... :lol:

Since you are an avid follower of religion, then you should be well aware of Paul and the Epistles to The Corinthians.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 28386
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Our ancient Cypriot bishop’s views on Hellenism

Postby Get Real! » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:31 pm

Paphitis wrote:Citing some zealot text that identifies pagan worshipers as heretics as a backhander to the Hellenistic culture however... :lol:

This “zealot” (Epiphanius) is known as the great defender of Orthodoxy (that’s his main characteristic/legacy) and we are lucky to have an insight through his writings of what was going on in his days.

Through his writings we now know that the origin of Hellenism was that of con-artists marketing fantasies to deceive the world and gain power.

Today, we also know that this sect was quite successful for they at least led to an entire nation of deluded con-artists we now call "Greece".

So there you have it... :)
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 43129
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Our ancient Cypriot bishop’s views on Hellenism

Postby Paphitis » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Get Real! wrote:
Paphitis wrote:Citing some zealot text that identifies pagan worshipers as heretics as a backhander to the Hellenistic culture however... :lol:

This “zealot” (Epiphanius) is known as the great defender of Orthodoxy (that’s his main characteristic/legacy) and we are lucky to have an insight through his writings of what was going on in his days.

Through his writings we now know that the origin of Hellenism was that of con-artists marketing fantasies to deceive the world and gain power.

Today, we also know that this sect was quite successful for they at least led to an entire nation of deluded con-artists we now call "Greece".

So there you have it... :)


I take your word for it. I however take issue with his lack of tolerance.

If this guy was alive today, no one in the world would pay any attention to him other than criticize his out of touch views about the practices of others not in the Orthodox religion.

And what was that again about throwing stones from glass houses? At the moment, the whole world is talking about the deluded con artists in Cyprus. You should see all the stuff on social media. I didn't know Brad Pittas, and Angela Tsioli were Cypriots with passports and all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are one funny dude! Fancy calling Greeks con artists when the whose who of Cypriot politics were selling Gold Passports to sell property in Cyprus from development companies they own. :D

So there you have it alright. Pot calling the kettle black. :lol:

You need Donald Trump to clean you all up. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Paphitis on Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 28386
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Our ancient Cypriot bishop’s views on Hellenism

Postby Get Real! » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:47 pm

Precisely what Epiphanius was warning our people about… but we do not take heed!

Today even our foolish government refers to itself as the “Cypriot Hellenism” and we have acquired the criminal behavior to match!

Epiphanius, must be rolling in his grave... from our international woes to our countless churches of idolatry!
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 43129
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Our ancient Cypriot bishop’s views on Hellenism

Postby Paphitis » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:51 pm

Get Real! wrote:Precisely what Epiphanius was warning our people about… but we do not take heed!

Today even our foolish government refers to itself as the “Cypriot Hellenism” and we have acquired the criminal behavior to match!

Epiphanius, must be rolling in his grave... from our international woes to our countless churches of idolatry!


Oh right, so it must be Greece's fault you are corrupt arses.

Epiphanius wasn't talking about Hellenic Culture either. He was referring to Hellenic Pagans worshiping The Greek Gods which was common practice in those days.

The criminal behavior (politicians usually) was all your own doing. It has nothing at all to do with Hellenic Culture which you too practice even if you don't acknowledge it.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 28386
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Our ancient Cypriot bishop’s views on Hellenism

Postby Get Real! » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Paphitis wrote:
Get Real! wrote:Precisely what Epiphanius was warning our people about… but we do not take heed!

Today even our foolish government refers to itself as the “Cypriot Hellenism” and we have acquired the criminal behavior to match!

Epiphanius, must be rolling in his grave... from our international woes to our countless churches of idolatry!


Oh right, so it must be Greece's fault you are corrupt arses.

Epiphanius wasn't talking about Hellenic Culture either. He was referring to Hellenic Pagans worshiping The Greek Gods which was common practice in those days.

The criminal behavior (politicians usually) was all your own doing. It has nothing at all to do with Hellenic Culture which you too practice even if you don't acknowledge it.

You draw your own conclusions Paphitis, for Epiphanius has spoken... and with this I leave you to ponder your sinful ways O’ Cypriots!
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 43129
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Our ancient Cypriot bishop’s views on Hellenism

Postby repulsewarrior » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:30 pm

How many languages could Jesus speak?

So while Jesus' most common spoken language was Aramaic, he was familiar with—if not fluent, or even proficient in—three or four different tongues. As with many multilingual people, which one he spoke probably depended on the context of his words, as well as the audience he was speaking to at the time.Mar 30, 2020.
, a simple google search.

...in any case, you speak English, we all do; you "Greek" or Greek?
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10065
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Our ancient Cypriot bishop’s views on Hellenism

Postby repulsewarrior » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:37 pm

Paphitis wrote:
Get Real! wrote:Precisely what Epiphanius was warning our people about… but we do not take heed!

Today even our foolish government refers to itself as the “Cypriot Hellenism” and we have acquired the criminal behavior to match!

Epiphanius, must be rolling in his grave... from our international woes to our countless churches of idolatry!


Oh right, so it must be Greece's fault you are corrupt arses.

Epiphanius wasn't talking about Hellenic Culture either. He was referring to Hellenic Pagans worshiping The Greek Gods which was common practice in those days.

The criminal behavior (politicians usually) was all your own doing. It has nothing at all to do with Hellenic Culture which you too practice even if you don't acknowledge it.


...well said Paphitis, especially since you say you have a hard time understanding the difference between for example a Turk and a "Turk"; because "They" are all the same.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10065
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Our ancient Cypriot bishop’s views on Hellenism

Postby repulsewarrior » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:18 am

...thinking of Hellenism, if today it was a thriving Faith, would they have a god of money?

It would make sense, i imagine, because of money's importance in our lives.

...and today, how Cardinals oppose the Pope, (on homosexuals and/in civil marriage,) because he is Modern; his methods and his reasoning embrace the current reality.

Just last week this Pope joined with the Leaders of many of the world's religions, together to prey for Peace, in Rome.

...imagine, he says publicly that Archbishop Bartholomew is an inspiration to him on environmental affairs; (who would believe that they consult each other). For the Catholic Church, at breakneck speed, change.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10065
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests