The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The RoC's election for President begins

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: The RoC's election for President begins

Postby Paphitis » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:03 pm

repulsewarrior wrote:

It is a choice (despite AKEL's association with him) between one candidate which has the experience of having worked with 5 Presidents over the years as Cyprus' representative internationally, and the other, much younger, ambitious, more a technocrat who politically is more closely related to "our" elite, and in effect (despite not having the support of his Party (DISY)) having the support of what is (and who wants) the status quo in Cyprus.

...i must say, to his credit though, during the election campaign Mr Christodoulides visited other political leaders in the occupied territories who demonstrated their support for him, Mr. Mavroyiannis did not.


Christodoulides isn’t an elite or an elitist. Or support the interests of the elites.

He genuinely supports the interests of Cyprus as a whole and all its people and he does genuinely have a desire to being a unitary force for all segments of the Cypriot people, even those who did not vote for him.

In addition, he has a lot of love for all Cypriots, TCs as well and considers them as part of the RoC.

He is very genuine and very down to earth.

To sum him up, he is a really nice guy.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 32303
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The RoC's election for President begins

Postby Paphitis » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:48 pm

The best little steps towards a solution Cyprus can do at present is the little things like when it sent a rescue team to Turkey. And it is humbling and very big of Erdogan to change his mind and accept the RoCs assistance. This is a little step forward.

Not that I think this alone will change anything at all. But at least, it can bring the 2 countries closer together.

The Cyprus Problem pales into such insignificance in the wake of the earthquake in Turkey and what I believe awaits the world which most of us here will have the misfortune to witness in our lifetime.

The sooner Cyprus and Turkey can just get on with it, the better. One day, both countries will need each other as both will face an unprecedented evil in our time.

When the US is shooting down UFOs in US and Canadian airspace, then it’s easy now to foresee we are all on the verge of a massive catastrophe which not long ago was literally inconceivable.

These are attacks on the sovereignty of 2 Nations. One of which is an actual superpower with 3500 Nuclear warheads which are actually well maintained and operational. It’s weapon of last resort.

What we are seeing today is a repeat of European and German history of the 1930s and the prelude to WW2 which resulted in so much depravity and despair where women, children and the frail were led to gas chambers. It’s absolutely mind boggling when you think about the evil humans can be capable of. How anyone can send children to their deaths is something none of us can comprehend.

And we are seeing the same things happen today in Ukraine. It’s all unfolding before our eyes.

I’m really sorry but both Cyprus and Turkey need to bury the hatchet once and for all. Both need to be allies. I hope that one day, the Cyprus National Guard and Turkish Military will be holding joint exercises. Turkish people as a whole are nice people. Turkey is a modernising and evolving nation. Ruzzia is not. It is regressing towards depravity.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 32303
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The RoC's election for President begins

Postby repulsewarrior » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:41 pm

https://cyprus-mail.com/2023/02/14/bigg ... t-parties/

Mr. Christodoulides is beholding to no one in this election win but the people who voted for him.

...this bodes well, for the People.

One hopes the Ministers he chooses will be the best qualified for the job as a result.

...i was hopeful when AKEL succeeded in having elected a Turkish Cypriot as a Cypriot MEP; failing to expand upon the effort, nothing was done to demonstrate this same solidarity for people as a working class across Cyprus before and during the elections for a President of Cyprus: something to think about.

Parties will have to work harder to draw back the public's confidence lost; leadership will change, but more importantly their Missions must also change to become better representatives of Cypriots without further discrimination or distinction: whether it is only the "Greek Constituency" who are the voters or not.

...as Cypriots, enosis is a word 'we' must take back from the extremists who are still living among us by giving it a Cypriot definition, beyond Party lines most certainly, beyond the artificial ethnic divide absolutely.

...(DISY fails 'us' for the same reason.)
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 14007
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: The RoC's election for President begins

Postby Lordo » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:13 pm

Sure of course he is not an elitist, he is for the whole of Cyprus except that his hands are tied as the reason why we reached this impasse was the fault of Turkiye. Anastasiades had nothing to do with it. Was this old cove also not part of the negotiating team?
He will turn out to be as corrupt and as cowardly as the rest of the previous leaders. Lets face it no decent leader can possibly come to power in the South.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 21582
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free. Walk on Swine walk on

Re: The RoC's election for President begins

Postby Pyrpolizer » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:38 pm

Describe us your view of a decent RoC leader.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 12892
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: The RoC's election for President begins

Postby Lordo » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:03 am

Ozgur, Talat, Akinci and Erhurman. All very decent leaders. If only we had just one like them when they were in power or may be in power in the future.

One person who can say openly it is worth giving up the power we have now and share it for the future of all Cypriots.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 21582
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free. Walk on Swine walk on

Re: The RoC's election for President begins

Postby Lordo » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:26 pm

This does not bode well for our new president. Somebody tell me there was corruption during this fiasco.

(Nikos Christodoulides elected Cyprus’s president with 52% of vote, 12 February) says “the island’s banking crisis a decade ago … has been widely blamed on the disastrous handling of the economy by the leftwing then president, Demetris Christofias”


This is clearly not true.
So if he is totally wrong there, what the hell is he going to get right in the future. Just another stooge for the establishment is what he is going to be.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/15/central-bank-of-cyprus-was-to-blame-for-banking-crisis-not-demetris-christofias?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR28gIJm4SkUZWUb9KsIgzw0RFqDNXOWUqYQQyIUsUxUIsSiuV3yTnbcM-I
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 21582
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free. Walk on Swine walk on

Re: The RoC's election for President begins

Postby Pyrpolizer » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:00 pm

Lordo wrote:This does not bode well for our new president. Somebody tell me there was corruption during this fiasco.

(Nikos Christodoulides elected Cyprus’s president with 52% of vote, 12 February) says “the island’s banking crisis a decade ago … has been widely blamed on the disastrous handling of the economy by the leftwing then president, Demetris Christofias”


This is clearly not true.
So if he is totally wrong there, what the hell is he going to get right in the future. Just another stooge for the establishment is what he is going to be.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/15/central-bank-of-cyprus-was-to-blame-for-banking-crisis-not-demetris-christofias?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR28gIJm4SkUZWUb9KsIgzw0RFqDNXOWUqYQQyIUsUxUIsSiuV3yTnbcM-I


Of course it's not true!! In fact I was the one who pointed that out both to STUD and Paphitako General in this very topic...
However please read your linked article carefully. It's not Christodoulides who said what you quoted!! It is some unknown so called "Political Analyst".
The new President looks honest, promising a fresh air in Cyprus's politics. We will see how good or bad he is.

However while the TCs keep the likes of Tatar in power the chance of anything positive regarding the CP is < 0 , regardless of who is the President of RoC. The Tartara man (meaning hell in Greek) is a partitionist, and he repeats it every day.

https://el-m-wikipedia-org.translate.go ... r_pto=wapp
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 12892
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: The RoC's election for President begins

Postby Lordo » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:39 pm

Pyrpolizer wrote:
Lordo wrote:This does not bode well for our new president. Somebody tell me there was corruption during this fiasco.

(Nikos Christodoulides elected Cyprus’s president with 52% of vote, 12 February) says “the island’s banking crisis a decade ago … has been widely blamed on the disastrous handling of the economy by the leftwing then president, Demetris Christofias”


This is clearly not true.
So if he is totally wrong there, what the hell is he going to get right in the future. Just another stooge for the establishment is what he is going to be.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/15/central-bank-of-cyprus-was-to-blame-for-banking-crisis-not-demetris-christofias?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR28gIJm4SkUZWUb9KsIgzw0RFqDNXOWUqYQQyIUsUxUIsSiuV3yTnbcM-I


Of course it's not true!! In fact I was the one who pointed that out both to STUD and Paphitako General in this very topic...
However please read your linked article carefully. It's not Christodoulides who said what you quoted!! It is some unknown so called "Political Analyst".
The new President looks honest, promising a fresh air in Cyprus's politics. We will see how good or bad he is.

However while the TCs keep the likes of Tatar in power the chance of anything positive regarding the CP is < 0 , regardless of who is the President of RoC. The Tartara man (meaning hell in Greek) is a partitionist, and he repeats it every day.

https://el-m-wikipedia-org.translate.go ... r_pto=wapp

This unknown political analyst would not say he had said it unless he heard him say it.

Anyway, yes while stinker Tatar is in power nothing will change unless Erhurman becomes PM and UN decides to push Tatar to the side like they did during Talat's time with Dengtash back in 2002. Especially now that Erdogan is on the defensive anything is possible.

Also TCs are no different than other people in many ways. They were given hope that Akinci would solve it and when he did not, idiots blamed him and were conned into voting for Tatar. We have our own Sheepriots too

Such is life.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 21582
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free. Walk on Swine walk on

Re: The RoC's election for President begins

Postby Pyrpolizer » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:36 pm

Lordo wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:
Lordo wrote:This does not bode well for our new president. Somebody tell me there was corruption during this fiasco.

(Nikos Christodoulides elected Cyprus’s president with 52% of vote, 12 February) says “the island’s banking crisis a decade ago … has been widely blamed on the disastrous handling of the economy by the leftwing then president, Demetris Christofias”


This is clearly not true.
So if he is totally wrong there, what the hell is he going to get right in the future. Just another stooge for the establishment is what he is going to be.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/15/central-bank-of-cyprus-was-to-blame-for-banking-crisis-not-demetris-christofias?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR28gIJm4SkUZWUb9KsIgzw0RFqDNXOWUqYQQyIUsUxUIsSiuV3yTnbcM-I


Of course it's not true!! In fact I was the one who pointed that out both to STUD and Paphitako General in this very topic...
However please read your linked article carefully. It's not Christodoulides who said what you quoted!! It is some unknown so called "Political Analyst".
The new President looks honest, promising a fresh air in Cyprus's politics. We will see how good or bad he is.

However while the TCs keep the likes of Tatar in power the chance of anything positive regarding the CP is < 0 , regardless of who is the President of RoC. The Tartara man (meaning hell in Greek) is a partitionist, and he repeats it every day.

https://el-m-wikipedia-org.translate.go ... r_pto=wapp

This unknown political analyst would not say he had said it unless he heard him say it.

Anyway, yes while stinker Tatar is in power nothing will change unless Erhurman becomes PM and UN decides to push Tatar to the side like they did during Talat's time with Dengtash back in 2002. Especially now that Erdogan is on the defensive anything is possible.

Also TCs are no different than other people in many ways. They were given hope that Akinci would solve it and when he did not, idiots blamed him and were conned into voting for Tatar. We have our own Sheepriots too

Such is life.


The article you posted is setting the record straight, regarding this article written by some "Elena Smith" reporting from Nicosia
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... 52-of-vote
In her article she quotes the opinion regarding the electoral outcome of someone named "Christoforos Christoforou" who she says is " a leading analyst specialised in electoral behaviour."
In other words someone who does polls.... :lol:

In any case the LIE that the economic crisis of 2013, was the fault of Christofias' Govnt, and not the fault of the Banks that were FULLY regulated and controlled by the European Central Bank, is widely spread in Cyprus, so General Paphitako is not alone.

Like I said many times we live in a wold where insanity reigns and illogic dominates :( :(
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 12892
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests