The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The war against Syria

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: The war against Syria

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:31 pm

yialousa1971 wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
yialousa1971 wrote:Syrian air defenses respond to missiles over Homs province – state media
Published time: 16 Apr, 2018 22:17


The Syrian air defense system repels a missile attack in the province of Homs
Posted: Apr 16 2018 22:25 GMT | Last update: 16 Apr 2018 22:33 GMT
407
The Syrian anti-aircraft defense has responded to a missile attack against the Shayrat air base, according to the SANA news agency.

The Syrian air defense system repels a missile attack in the province of Homs
Follow us on Facebook

Syria's air defense systems have been activated in response to a missile attack, apparently aimed at the Shayrat air base in Homs province, reports SANA.

At approximately 1:10 (Damascus time), the Syrian Army announced that the Israeli Air Force fired several missiles at the air base and its surrounding area, reports Al-Masdar News.


IMO: That is why they never shoot down F-15 or F-18 .... because the platform stays well away from Syrian air space as they know what will happen. They would be taken out just like their missiles. :wink:


S300 for Lebanon would soon stop them. :twisted:


They should have done that years ago. They had an agreement with their 'Western Partners' not to, so that it did not upset Israel. :roll: All change maybe?

I also read that shortly after the raid started two of the US Missile Destroyers were 'switched off' like the one in the Black Sea some time ago. No idea if it is true or where the story came from as it was in the 'Comments' after the article. :?: :)
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: The war against Syria

Postby Paphitis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:47 pm

You think it would stop them?

I think the Israelis know otherwise from their learnings in Greece.

The below missile was made for the S400.

Image

I hope you guys are enjoying Israel's company. methinks you will all get to know each other real well over the next few years as the Syria War enters a new phase!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 23651
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The war against Syria

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Paphitis:
The real questions are, how will it operate in a 45 degrees C+ environment when it was designed to operate in Russia? How will it operate against a Mach 7 ballistic missile when they always tested it against a Mach 9 ballistic missile? How will it work in combat when your launchers crap out after Private Snuffy Smithinski had a vodka cruiser hangover and didn’t clean the intake filters of the generator after the last sandstorm? How will it operate after the radar tech only pounded the grounding rod in 30 cm instead of the 1.5 meters that is called for in the manual? How will it operate when its finely tuned computers are capable of countering all of the latest generation jamming systems and then someone flips on the switch of a 1950s era jammer? How well will it operate when Ahmed Greenstein forgot to shift the cables from the missile test simulator over to the real missiles and the four green missile lights in the launch control station turn out to only be only simulators?


You see .... you can think ‘outside the box’ just like the Russians do. :roll:

Have you not heard that all the new Type 45(?) destroyers the UK has can’t even operate in the Med because the engines were designed for Atlantic and Arctic waters. So these things are sometimes overlooked by the greatest of military powers but so far even the old USSR stuff is taking its toll on your Tomahawks! :lol:

Actually I don’t have any reason to question what you say, but I would suggest that it applies to any military system. Even stealth bombers got bought down in the Balkans war and the Iranians have hijacked at least one US super hi-tec drone. I just give the Russians more credibility than you do!

BTW: As far as I know the S-400’s are there to protect the two Russian assets and have not been used yet.
here is the thing. The claim is that 71 out of 103 (cough cough) were shot (cough) down (cough). Well then, let's see just one piece of evidence. Why are there not showing us even 1 Cruise missile on RT or Syria TV?


If I find any I will let you know. However I do understand that a couple did hit an airfield but it was not being used. I think it was 3 that got through? And another one hit another active airfield but the damage was minor. :wink:
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: The war against Syria

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Paphitis wrote:You think it would stop them?

I think the Israelis know otherwise from their learnings in Greece.

The below missile was made for the S400.

Image

I hope you guys are enjoying Israel's company. methinks you will all get to know each other real well over the next few years as the Syria War enters a new phase!


The S-400 can attack 80 (Previously 36) targets simultaneously ..... so not only could it take down the F-16 it could take out the missile as well. You may think the Russians are just drunken idiots totally incapable of anything ......... but they have managed to design this, so maybe not so daft after all? :roll:

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/s-400-triumph-air-defence-missile-system/

The S-400 seems to have quite an impressive capability ..... of course it could all be bullshit .... but there again, it might not be ..... the big question is, are you feeling lucky? :D

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/s-400-triumph-air-defence-missile-system/
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: The war against Syria

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:18 pm

A BBC 'HardTalk' interview with Sergey Lavrov. I am surprised he kept his cool the interviewer was rude, unprofessional and insulting .... and Lavrof told him so.

https://thesaker.is/interview-of-the-fo ... -with-bbc/
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: The war against Syria

Postby Paphitis » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 am

Yes the Coalition and Israel are feeling comfortable with the S400. I was going to say they are feeling lucky, but Coalition Forces will do everything to remove the notion of luck or reduce their risks just like any other employer would. they want all their planes to arrive back nice and safe, and over the last few years every single aircraft that has entered Syria has arrived back at its base safely, minus a Jordanian F-16 that came to grief over ISIL held territory and an Israeli F-16 which crashed in Israel after returning from Syria.

The Coalition's record is actually extremely impressive. In fact, if they were an Airline they could be considered a very safe operation.

that's because there is absolutely no history whatsoever of the S400 being able to circumvent all our countermeasures and actually shoot down a Coalition or Israeli aircraft or a Cruise Missile. There is no evidence whatsoever, so far, that the S400 is even effective against Coalition Cruise Missiles or aircraft. Until they have a proven track record, all we have is a bunch of Russian cheerleaders with many delusions and dreams.

It might happen one day of course, and they can also get lucky, but it still will not stop Coalition or Israeli operations against Syria. The strike rate is at this point quite pitiful to non existent.

You all keep talking about the S400 is if it is the show stopper, but that is not the case. Coalition countries have so many ways of dealing with S400 if they need to. The S400 can be prosecuted from over 100 nms away with an AGM-88 HARM for starters.

You actually think that the S400 can be just deployed and that's it. That isn't the case. The S400 isn't infallible. In fact, it has a lot of infallibilities and they are a lot more vulnerable than any of our aircraft.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 23651
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The war against Syria

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:45 pm

Paphitis wrote:Yes the Coalition and Israel are feeling comfortable with the S400. I was going to say they are feeling lucky, but Coalition Forces will do everything to remove the notion of luck or reduce their risks just like any other employer would. they want all their planes to arrive back nice and safe, and over the last few years every single aircraft that has entered Syria has arrived back at its base safely, minus a Jordanian F-16 that came to grief over ISIL held territory and an Israeli F-16 which crashed in Israel after returning from Syria.

The Coalition's record is actually extremely impressive. In fact, if they were an Airline they could be considered a very safe operation.

that's because there is absolutely no history whatsoever of the S400 being able to circumvent all our countermeasures and actually shoot down a Coalition or Israeli aircraft or a Cruise Missile. There is no evidence whatsoever, so far, that the S400 is even effective against Coalition Cruise Missiles or aircraft. Until they have a proven track record, all we have is a bunch of Russian cheerleaders with many delusions and dreams.

It might happen one day of course, and they can also get lucky, but it still will not stop Coalition or Israeli operations against Syria. The strike rate is at this point quite pitiful to non existent.

You all keep talking about the S400 is if it is the show stopper, but that is not the case. Coalition countries have so many ways of dealing with S400 if they need to. The S400 can be prosecuted from over 100 nms away with an AGM-88 HARM for starters.

You actually think that the S400 can be just deployed and that's it. That isn't the case. The S400 isn't infallible. In fact, it has a lot of infallibilities and they are a lot more vulnerable than any of our aircraft.


I don't think your coalition is quite as comfortable with the S-400 as you are? :roll: That is why Israel is so upset and making threats as the prospect of the S-400 in Syrias arsenal scares the hell out of them .... and for good reason.
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: The war against Syria

Postby Pyrpolizer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:01 pm

Robin Hood wrote:A BBC 'HardTalk' interview with Sergey Lavrov. I am surprised he kept his cool the interviewer was rude, unprofessional and insulting .... and Lavrof told him so.

https://thesaker.is/interview-of-the-fo ... -with-bbc/


Who was that journalist?
Paphitis? :idea:
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9991
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: The war against Syria

Postby Paphitis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:13 am

Israel is launching Airstrikes against Syria on a regular basis now.

So they don't particularly appear to fussed about any S400 as is the case with the Coalition as well.

Just one missile fired would be enough reason to launch an AGM-88 response, and there will be no more S400 to worry about either.

That's presuming they are even able to launch because there isn't even ANY evidence that the S400 can launch a missile against any of our aircraft due to jamming.

Once you post some evidence, then let me know. The Coalition has never reported even a launch against their aircraft or missiles, and the coalition has never lost an aircraft or missile to S400 ever. The F-16 lost over ISIL territory wasn't an S400. It may have been an Engine failure. And the F-16 that crashed in Israeli Airspace wasn't a S400 either.

Israel isn't really worried about the S400. they know the Russians have them.

What Israeli is worried about is having Hezbollah and Iranian Troops on its borders, drone aircraft, Missiles that can be used to attack Israel's Sovereignty, and Chemical Weapons. These are the reasons why Israel is at war now with Syria and Iran.

S400 is nothing as it is defensive.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 23651
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The war against Syria

Postby Paphitis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:27 am

The Tomahawk is pretty much incorruptible. It can't be jammed. It will find its target 99.5% of the time.

So out of 103 missiles, only 1 may have not found the target, statistically speaking.

It also only uses GPS for guidance to a target in cases where there is no ECM environment (such as terrorists). The missile actually has to visually acquire the target before it hits it with photos. Monkey see, monkey do. That is pretty amazing actually. :shock:

Pretty good explanations here.

https://www.scribd.com/presentation/14253521/Tomahawk-1
Last edited by Paphitis on Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 23651
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests