The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Looks like 2018 could start with a bang!

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Looks like 2018 could start with a bang!

Postby Paphitis » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Schnauzer wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:Militarily and politically the British have always been hostile (to the Greek Cypriots) that’s a fact. It’s hard to throw such accusation on the face of any British person (including you of course) who in general are very nice and polite people who mean no harm. But unfortunately it’s true.


I need to take issue with the above Pyro because it is VERY dangerous thinking.

Firstly, I am going to say that the British do not hate us at all, either militarily or politically. If that were the case, there would be not as many Cypriots in the UK or Australia even.

There is no reason for them to hate us. They can hold a grudge for a little while, unlike us who have long memories and can hold a grudge for a longer while than them. But overall, they just take it as it comes with most people.

On the contrary, Cypriots are probably a very well liked people to them. Much better liked than many others.

Cyprus and Britain had some conflict but that was a long time ago. And by no means was the Cyprus conflict to be compared to other conflicts they have had around the world such as ww2 with Germany, or Argentina over Falklands and so on. They are friends with both Germany and Argentina. As far as barbarism is concerned, the Japanese were especially cruel to their military during WW2. Japan is now one of their best friends. Australia had a brutal war against Vietnam and the VC. Australia and USA are now good friends with the Communist Regime in Vietnam, militarily and politically.

If for some reason The UK hate us or do not like us, even just slightly, then that is our fault. To me that say's we are not as forthcoming to all their approaches for good relations, or they do not trust us for some reason. That is not good at all. The Cyprus Government will need to work very hard to destroy these perceptions as soon as possible.

Basically what I am saying to you is that they couldn't care about what happened 3 generations ago. That to them is history like everything else.

In addition, in 1974, the UK and USA were at odds with each other. The UK new that Cyprus was about to be invaded and its then Foreign Affairs Minister protested to Kissinger all the way through, and even at one point threatened Kissinger with upholding its Treaty Obligation to protect the territorial integrity of the Republic. It didn't do so, but a lot of these things are on the public record now.

The Brits were so unsure of the situation, and not a co-conspirator of the USA and Turkey, that they deployed troops to shore up SBA defences as there was in their mind at-least no guarantee that the Turkish Military will stop at the SBAs. They even deployed Nepalese Gurkha and Australian Troops (SAS) to Dhekelia. All this on the public record. Troops which would have opened fire on the Turks if they did not stop at Pyla.

Basically, I think you are wrong to say they are working against us. I don't believe they hate us at all. Not even politically. It's not something I have witnessed in a systematic way. They have had their flaws and made their stupid mistakes but I can't imagine them to hold grudges from 1955. It just isn't really them. They are always forward thinking not backward thinking. Always looking to befriend you not hate you.

I mean Cyprus is pretty insignificant as well. You would think that if they hate us, they would surely still hate the Germans, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Argentinians and perhaps so many others like the Russians as well. But that isn't the case. They don't hate any of those so why would they hate Cyprus? Doesn't make sense to me sorry.



Nice sentiments Paphitis BUT, how does one explain the scenario which found a British Officer actively conducting a demographic and ethnic survey of Cyprus (PRIOR to the Turkish invasion) later explained as a holiday jaunt by the said officer who was merely engaged on a trip to enhance his artistic abilities ?.

How convenient that the lines of division were clearly defined and the 'Green Line' so vividly obvious AFTER the said invasion.

Make no mistake mate, the machinations of the 'Brits' are both legion and legendary, the pages of history are littered with examples of how lovingly and thoughtfully they have infiltrated and occupied (one way or another) the populace of many nations across the entire world, perhaps the geopolitical position of Cyprus might be a clue as to why the 'Brits', 'Yanks', 'Turks', and innocent 'Israeli's' ( :lol: ) suddenly became so interested in it's unfortunate location...., after all, many nations in the vicinity of Israel have recently learned to their cost (destruction and dismay) the misfortune of being in such close proximity to such a relatively newly formed yet probably well planned 'Nuclear Power' smack in the middle of the most sensitive area on the face of the earth thanks to it's existence.

Happy new year folks, lets ALL hope that the 'BANG' might end up in the right place........almost on the doorstep of Cyprus. :wink:


I am not sure what you are talking about. I don't know of any officer conducting a census. Was this prior to 1960 or after 1960? It seems quite legitimate that prior to 1960, they would want to conduct a census. It doesn't sound that outrageous to me.

I agree that prior to 1960, Cyprus and Britain were practically at war. I am sure they didn't like the fact that their military were being targeted and killed. Yes they would have hated us for it and they would have done everything they could to defeat us naturally.

But I don't think there is any hatred there. this was really a huge war for them but a mere uprising. It wasn't like all the other wars they had to endure and to suggest they hate us for it today and yet are friends with so many they had fought real wars with which had resulted in the deaths of many tens of thousands of their soldiers is absolutely ludicrous when in Cyprus they only lost what some 50 or so.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 22130
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Looks like 2018 could start with a bang!

Postby Robin Hood » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Schnauzer:
Nice sentiments Paphitis BUT, how does one explain the scenario which found a British Officer actively conducting a demographic and ethnic survey of Cyprus (PRIOR to the Turkish invasion) later explained as a holiday jaunt by the said officer who was merely engaged on a trip to enhance his artistic abilities ?.

How convenient that the lines of division were clearly defined and the 'Green Line' so vividly obvious AFTER the said invasion.

Make no mistake mate, the machinations of the 'Brits' are both legion and legendary, the pages of history are littered with examples of how lovingly and thoughtfully they have infiltrated and occupied (one way or another) the populace of many nations across the entire world, perhaps the geopolitical position of Cyprus might be a clue as to why the 'Brits', 'Yanks', 'Turks', and innocent 'Israeli's' ( ) suddenly became so interested in it's unfortunate location...., after all, many nations in the vicinity of Israel have recently learned to their cost (destruction and dismay) the misfortune of being in such close proximity to such a relatively newly formed yet probably well planned 'Nuclear Power' smack in the middle of the most sensitive area on the face of the earth thanks to it's existence.

Happy new year folks, lets ALL hope that the 'BANG' might end up in the right place........almost on the doorstep of Cyprus.


On this rare occasion I am inclined to agree with Paphits in principal, although I have to admit I have never heard the story you refer to.

I think it true to say that as Brit I recognise my birth countries failings and its criminality. I am not proud of my countries actions over the last few centuries, although they have made some contribution to history that they can be proud of. But when talking at ‘Governmental/Official’ levels you are not really relating to the British per se, but to their ruling class and I would not trust them as far as I could throw them.

But they treat the British people in the same way, so it’s not a personal thing. :roll: :wink:
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3213
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Looks like 2018 could start with a bang!

Postby Paphitis » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:05 pm

Schnauzer wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:Militarily and politically the British have always been hostile (to the Greek Cypriots) that’s a fact. It’s hard to throw such accusation on the face of any British person (including you of course) who in general are very nice and polite people who mean no harm. But unfortunately it’s true.


I need to take issue with the above Pyro because it is VERY dangerous thinking.

Firstly, I am going to say that the British do not hate us at all, either militarily or politically. If that were the case, there would be not as many Cypriots in the UK or Australia even.

There is no reason for them to hate us. They can hold a grudge for a little while, unlike us who have long memories and can hold a grudge for a longer while than them. But overall, they just take it as it comes with most people.

On the contrary, Cypriots are probably a very well liked people to them. Much better liked than many others.

Cyprus and Britain had some conflict but that was a long time ago. And by no means was the Cyprus conflict to be compared to other conflicts they have had around the world such as ww2 with Germany, or Argentina over Falklands and so on. They are friends with both Germany and Argentina. As far as barbarism is concerned, the Japanese were especially cruel to their military during WW2. Japan is now one of their best friends. Australia had a brutal war against Vietnam and the VC. Australia and USA are now good friends with the Communist Regime in Vietnam, militarily and politically.

If for some reason The UK hate us or do not like us, even just slightly, then that is our fault. To me that say's we are not as forthcoming to all their approaches for good relations, or they do not trust us for some reason. That is not good at all. The Cyprus Government will need to work very hard to destroy these perceptions as soon as possible.

Basically what I am saying to you is that they couldn't care about what happened 3 generations ago. That to them is history like everything else.

In addition, in 1974, the UK and USA were at odds with each other. The UK new that Cyprus was about to be invaded and its then Foreign Affairs Minister protested to Kissinger all the way through, and even at one point threatened Kissinger with upholding its Treaty Obligation to protect the territorial integrity of the Republic. It didn't do so, but a lot of these things are on the public record now.

The Brits were so unsure of the situation, and not a co-conspirator of the USA and Turkey, that they deployed troops to shore up SBA defences as there was in their mind at-least no guarantee that the Turkish Military will stop at the SBAs. They even deployed Nepalese Gurkha and Australian Troops (SAS) to Dhekelia. All this on the public record. Troops which would have opened fire on the Turks if they did not stop at Pyla.

Basically, I think you are wrong to say they are working against us. I don't believe they hate us at all. Not even politically. It's not something I have witnessed in a systematic way. They have had their flaws and made their stupid mistakes but I can't imagine them to hold grudges from 1955. It just isn't really them. They are always forward thinking not backward thinking. Always looking to befriend you not hate you.

I mean Cyprus is pretty insignificant as well. You would think that if they hate us, they would surely still hate the Germans, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Argentinians and perhaps so many others like the Russians as well. But that isn't the case. They don't hate any of those so why would they hate Cyprus? Doesn't make sense to me sorry.



Nice sentiments Paphitis BUT, how does one explain the scenario which found a British Officer actively conducting a demographic and ethnic survey of Cyprus (PRIOR to the Turkish invasion) later explained as a holiday jaunt by the said officer who was merely engaged on a trip to enhance his artistic abilities ?.

How convenient that the lines of division were clearly defined and the 'Green Line' so vividly obvious AFTER the said invasion.

Make no mistake mate, the machinations of the 'Brits' are both legion and legendary, the pages of history are littered with examples of how lovingly and thoughtfully they have infiltrated and occupied (one way or another) the populace of many nations across the entire world, perhaps the geopolitical position of Cyprus might be a clue as to why the 'Brits', 'Yanks', 'Turks', and innocent 'Israeli's' ( :lol: ) suddenly became so interested in it's unfortunate location...., after all, many nations in the vicinity of Israel have recently learned to their cost (destruction and dismay) the misfortune of being in such close proximity to such a relatively newly formed yet probably well planned 'Nuclear Power' smack in the middle of the most sensitive area on the face of the earth thanks to it's existence.

Happy new year folks, lets ALL hope that the 'BANG' might end up in the right place........almost on the doorstep of Cyprus. :wink:


I know another British Bureaucrat who set up the Cyprus Lands Titles Office and digitized it. So he had spent a lot of time in Cyprus.

If it wasn't set up by the Brits, then our Titles Office would be like Greece's where anything goes and is kind of still based on the old Ottoman System.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 22130
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Looks like 2018 could start with a bang!

Postby Robin Hood » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:52 pm

The Imperialist's among us may not agree but I could agree with much of what this guy says. :) :wink:


Moscow: Agony of a Rotting Empire - By Andre Vltchek

It has been all very ugly, aggressive and often distinctly vulgar: the way the British Foreign Secretary has behaved before and during his official visit to Moscow.

Mr. Johnson described Russia as “closed, nasty, militaristic and anti-democratic” concluding that it could not be “business as usual”.

He did not define what the UK has become, and the Russian hosts were too polite to explain.

The “business as usual” it was not.

During the last few weeks, the behaviour patterns of both the UK and US have began increasingly to resemble those of the badly brought up leadership of the provincial Italian mafia: “You do as we tell you, or we’ll poke out your eyes… or break your leg… or perhaps we’ll kidnap your daughter”.

It appears that there is absolutely no shame left in Washington, in London, and in several other ‘provincial capitals’ of the Empire. Insults are piling on insults and then shot to all corners of the globe. Lies are being spread barefacedly, and bizarre deceptions and fabrications have been manufactured with impressive speed.

The full article .......... IMO: a good read .........

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/48506.htm
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3213
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Looks like 2018 could start with a bang!

Postby Pyrpolizer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Paphitis wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:Militarily and politically the British have always been hostile (to the Greek Cypriots) that’s a fact. It’s hard to throw such accusation on the face of any British person (including you of course) who in general are very nice and polite people who mean no harm. But unfortunately it’s true.


I need to take issue with the above Pyro because it is VERY dangerous thinking.

Firstly, I am going to say that the British do not hate us at all, either militarily or politically. If that were the case, there would be not as many Cypriots in the UK or Australia even.

There is no reason for them to hate us. They can hold a grudge for a little while, unlike us who have long memories and can hold a grudge for a longer while than them. But overall, they just take it as it comes with most people.

On the contrary, Cypriots are probably a very well liked people to them. Much better liked than many others.

Cyprus and Britain had some conflict but that was a long time ago. And by no means was the Cyprus conflict to be compared to other conflicts they have had around the world such as ww2 with Germany, or Argentina over Falklands and so on. They are friends with both Germany and Argentina. As far as barbarism is concerned, the Japanese were especially cruel to their military during WW2. Japan is now one of their best friends. Australia had a brutal war against Vietnam and the VC. Australia and USA are now good friends with the Communist Regime in Vietnam, militarily and politically.

If for some reason The UK hate us or do not like us, even just slightly, then that is our fault. To me that say's we are not as forthcoming to all their approaches for good relations, or they do not trust us for some reason. That is not good at all. The Cyprus Government will need to work very hard to destroy these perceptions as soon as possible.

Basically what I am saying to you is that they couldn't care about what happened 3 generations ago. That to them is history like everything else.

In addition, in 1974, the UK and USA were at odds with each other. The UK new that Cyprus was about to be invaded and its then Foreign Affairs Minister protested to Kissinger all the way through, and even at one point threatened Kissinger with upholding its Treaty Obligation to protect the territorial integrity of the Republic. It didn't do so, but a lot of these things are on the public record now.

The Brits were so unsure of the situation, and not a co-conspirator of the USA and Turkey, that they deployed troops to shore up SBA defences as there was in their mind at-least no guarantee that the Turkish Military will stop at the SBAs. They even deployed Nepalese Gurkha and Australian Troops (SAS) to Dhekelia. All this on the public record. Troops which would have opened fire on the Turks if they did not stop at Pyla.

Basically, I think you are wrong to say they are working against us. I don't believe they hate us at all. Not even politically. It's not something I have witnessed in a systematic way. They have had their flaws and made their stupid mistakes but I can't imagine them to hold grudges from 1955. It just isn't really them. They are always forward thinking not backward thinking. Always looking to befriend you not hate you.

I mean Cyprus is pretty insignificant as well. You would think that if they hate us, they would surely still hate the Germans, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Argentinians and perhaps so many others like the Russians as well. But that isn't the case. They don't hate any of those so why would they hate Cyprus? Doesn't make sense to me sorry.


I didn't say the British hate us. I said militarily and politically are hostile to us so this concerns the political and military establishment of the UK.
However in most cases this hostility is indirect, usually by working to support Turkey and her interests against us.
I can list tens of examples even including EU matters like their machinations regarding the Green line regulations for exports from the occupied.
I thought there's a widespread consent among GCs about this issue you are actually the first one I heard of disagreeing.
(GIG where are you, Paphitis might need more info, do you have some spare time?)

Like I said most British people are actually very friendly and polite. There's a small fraction of British nationalists though- and I met some of those freaks- who do really hate us and their memories go back to the ee-oka times as they like to spell it. One of those I met came directly to Cyprus with a military plane from the British bases. We were supposed to be their agents in Cyprus and I had to take him out for lunch. He refused to go to any restaurant outside the bases and kept knocking his finger on the table shouting at me "This soil here is British-British you hear?!" The idiot caught me by surprise...
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9521
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: Looks like 2018 could start with a bang!

Postby Paphitis » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Pyrpolizer wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:Militarily and politically the British have always been hostile (to the Greek Cypriots) that’s a fact. It’s hard to throw such accusation on the face of any British person (including you of course) who in general are very nice and polite people who mean no harm. But unfortunately it’s true.


I need to take issue with the above Pyro because it is VERY dangerous thinking.

Firstly, I am going to say that the British do not hate us at all, either militarily or politically. If that were the case, there would be not as many Cypriots in the UK or Australia even.

There is no reason for them to hate us. They can hold a grudge for a little while, unlike us who have long memories and can hold a grudge for a longer while than them. But overall, they just take it as it comes with most people.

On the contrary, Cypriots are probably a very well liked people to them. Much better liked than many others.

Cyprus and Britain had some conflict but that was a long time ago. And by no means was the Cyprus conflict to be compared to other conflicts they have had around the world such as ww2 with Germany, or Argentina over Falklands and so on. They are friends with both Germany and Argentina. As far as barbarism is concerned, the Japanese were especially cruel to their military during WW2. Japan is now one of their best friends. Australia had a brutal war against Vietnam and the VC. Australia and USA are now good friends with the Communist Regime in Vietnam, militarily and politically.

If for some reason The UK hate us or do not like us, even just slightly, then that is our fault. To me that say's we are not as forthcoming to all their approaches for good relations, or they do not trust us for some reason. That is not good at all. The Cyprus Government will need to work very hard to destroy these perceptions as soon as possible.

Basically what I am saying to you is that they couldn't care about what happened 3 generations ago. That to them is history like everything else.

In addition, in 1974, the UK and USA were at odds with each other. The UK new that Cyprus was about to be invaded and its then Foreign Affairs Minister protested to Kissinger all the way through, and even at one point threatened Kissinger with upholding its Treaty Obligation to protect the territorial integrity of the Republic. It didn't do so, but a lot of these things are on the public record now.

The Brits were so unsure of the situation, and not a co-conspirator of the USA and Turkey, that they deployed troops to shore up SBA defences as there was in their mind at-least no guarantee that the Turkish Military will stop at the SBAs. They even deployed Nepalese Gurkha and Australian Troops (SAS) to Dhekelia. All this on the public record. Troops which would have opened fire on the Turks if they did not stop at Pyla.

Basically, I think you are wrong to say they are working against us. I don't believe they hate us at all. Not even politically. It's not something I have witnessed in a systematic way. They have had their flaws and made their stupid mistakes but I can't imagine them to hold grudges from 1955. It just isn't really them. They are always forward thinking not backward thinking. Always looking to befriend you not hate you.

I mean Cyprus is pretty insignificant as well. You would think that if they hate us, they would surely still hate the Germans, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Argentinians and perhaps so many others like the Russians as well. But that isn't the case. They don't hate any of those so why would they hate Cyprus? Doesn't make sense to me sorry.


I didn't say the British hate us. I said militarily and politically are hostile to us so this concerns the political and military establishment of the UK.
However in most cases this hostility is indirect, usually by working to support Turkey and her interests against us.
I can list tens of examples even including EU matters like their machinations regarding the Green line regulations for exports from the occupied.
I thought there's a widespread consent among GCs about this issue you are actually the first one I heard of disagreeing.
(GIG where are you, Paphitis might need more info, do you have some spare time?)

Like I said most British people are actually very friendly and polite. There's a small fraction of British nationalists though- and I met some of those freaks- who do really hate us and their memories go back to the ee-oka times as they like to spell it. One of those I met came directly to Cyprus with a military plane from the British bases. We were supposed to be their agents in Cyprus and I had to take him out for lunch. He refused to go to any restaurant outside the bases and kept knocking his finger on the table shouting at me "This soil here is British-British you hear?!" The idiot caught me by surprise...


Pyro, I think you need to settle down a bit. There is no reason for their military establishment or political elites to hate us. If their military were that fickle and hate little Cyprus, then they would hate the entire world. Cyprus doesn't even rate as a conversation point let alone be hated.

In Sydney I had a lovely little lunch with The Cyprus Ambassador through some mutual acquaintance. You can say that the Australian Government can work in support of Turkish Interests over Cyprus but that isn't accurate at all. The Australians work in favour of their interest. Australian and Turkish trade exceeds 20 billion. Australian and Cyprus Trade is only 20 million. The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs is combined with Trade. So at a diplomatic level, Turkey always trumps Cyprus politically. It always will. This is what the Cyprus Ambassador faces in Canberra. They will always be second fiddle and in Australian terms are considered to be insignificant and unimportant compared to Turkey.

But there is no hatred for Cyprus politically. None at all. There is no hatred of Cyprus militarily either.

Despite the trade imbalance and the power of commercial and political interests, Australia and the UK will never recognize the "trnc" or support Turkey and its occupation either politically or militarily. It will NEVER happen.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 22130
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Looks like 2018 could start with a bang!

Postby Pyrpolizer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Robin Hood wrote:The Imperialist's among us may not agree but I could agree with much of what this guy says. :) :wink:


Moscow: Agony of a Rotting Empire - By Andre Vltchek

It has been all very ugly, aggressive and often distinctly vulgar: the way the British Foreign Secretary has behaved before and during his official visit to Moscow.

Mr. Johnson described Russia as “closed, nasty, militaristic and anti-democratic” concluding that it could not be “business as usual”.

He did not define what the UK has become, and the Russian hosts were too polite to explain.

The “business as usual” it was not.

During the last few weeks, the behaviour patterns of both the UK and US have began increasingly to resemble those of the badly brought up leadership of the provincial Italian mafia: “You do as we tell you, or we’ll poke out your eyes… or break your leg… or perhaps we’ll kidnap your daughter”.

It appears that there is absolutely no shame left in Washington, in London, and in several other ‘provincial capitals’ of the Empire. Insults are piling on insults and then shot to all corners of the globe. Lies are being spread barefacedly, and bizarre deceptions and fabrications have been manufactured with impressive speed.

The full article .......... IMO: a good read .........

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/48506.htm


The articles is an eye opener for those who think the western world is close to ideal.
it's just a rotten and sick world. However don't let yourselves get fooled. The non western world is definitely equally rotten.
What I liked most was this part:

Peace is dangerous. If the world is at peace, it is indisputable that the Western Empire would lose, in no time. It would be defeated on social, moral, creative and even economic fronts.

That is why the Empire is spreading chaos, fear, war, perpetual conflicts and antagonism everywhere, all over the world: in Syria and Afghanistan, Libya, in all corners of Africa and parts of Southeast Asia, in Iran, Central and South America, even in the tiniest countries of Oceania.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9521
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: Looks like 2018 could start with a bang!

Postby Pyrpolizer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Paphitis wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:Militarily and politically the British have always been hostile (to the Greek Cypriots) that’s a fact. It’s hard to throw such accusation on the face of any British person (including you of course) who in general are very nice and polite people who mean no harm. But unfortunately it’s true.


I need to take issue with the above Pyro because it is VERY dangerous thinking.

Firstly, I am going to say that the British do not hate us at all, either militarily or politically. If that were the case, there would be not as many Cypriots in the UK or Australia even.

There is no reason for them to hate us. They can hold a grudge for a little while, unlike us who have long memories and can hold a grudge for a longer while than them. But overall, they just take it as it comes with most people.

On the contrary, Cypriots are probably a very well liked people to them. Much better liked than many others.

Cyprus and Britain had some conflict but that was a long time ago. And by no means was the Cyprus conflict to be compared to other conflicts they have had around the world such as ww2 with Germany, or Argentina over Falklands and so on. They are friends with both Germany and Argentina. As far as barbarism is concerned, the Japanese were especially cruel to their military during WW2. Japan is now one of their best friends. Australia had a brutal war against Vietnam and the VC. Australia and USA are now good friends with the Communist Regime in Vietnam, militarily and politically.

If for some reason The UK hate us or do not like us, even just slightly, then that is our fault. To me that say's we are not as forthcoming to all their approaches for good relations, or they do not trust us for some reason. That is not good at all. The Cyprus Government will need to work very hard to destroy these perceptions as soon as possible.

Basically what I am saying to you is that they couldn't care about what happened 3 generations ago. That to them is history like everything else.

In addition, in 1974, the UK and USA were at odds with each other. The UK new that Cyprus was about to be invaded and its then Foreign Affairs Minister protested to Kissinger all the way through, and even at one point threatened Kissinger with upholding its Treaty Obligation to protect the territorial integrity of the Republic. It didn't do so, but a lot of these things are on the public record now.

The Brits were so unsure of the situation, and not a co-conspirator of the USA and Turkey, that they deployed troops to shore up SBA defences as there was in their mind at-least no guarantee that the Turkish Military will stop at the SBAs. They even deployed Nepalese Gurkha and Australian Troops (SAS) to Dhekelia. All this on the public record. Troops which would have opened fire on the Turks if they did not stop at Pyla.

Basically, I think you are wrong to say they are working against us. I don't believe they hate us at all. Not even politically. It's not something I have witnessed in a systematic way. They have had their flaws and made their stupid mistakes but I can't imagine them to hold grudges from 1955. It just isn't really them. They are always forward thinking not backward thinking. Always looking to befriend you not hate you.

I mean Cyprus is pretty insignificant as well. You would think that if they hate us, they would surely still hate the Germans, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Argentinians and perhaps so many others like the Russians as well. But that isn't the case. They don't hate any of those so why would they hate Cyprus? Doesn't make sense to me sorry.


I didn't say the British hate us. I said militarily and politically are hostile to us so this concerns the political and military establishment of the UK.
However in most cases this hostility is indirect, usually by working to support Turkey and her interests against us.
I can list tens of examples even including EU matters like their machinations regarding the Green line regulations for exports from the occupied.
I thought there's a widespread consent among GCs about this issue you are actually the first one I heard of disagreeing.
(GIG where are you, Paphitis might need more info, do you have some spare time?)

Like I said most British people are actually very friendly and polite. There's a small fraction of British nationalists though- and I met some of those freaks- who do really hate us and their memories go back to the ee-oka times as they like to spell it. One of those I met came directly to Cyprus with a military plane from the British bases. We were supposed to be their agents in Cyprus and I had to take him out for lunch. He refused to go to any restaurant outside the bases and kept knocking his finger on the table shouting at me "This soil here is British-British you hear?!" The idiot caught me by surprise...


Pyro, I think you need to settle down a bit. There is no reason for their military establishment or political elites to hate us. If their military were that fickle and hate little Cyprus, then they would hate the entire world. Cyprus doesn't even rate as a conversation point let alone be hated.

In Sydney I had a lovely little lunch with The Cyprus Ambassador through some mutual acquaintance. You can say that the Australian Government can work in support of Turkish Interests over Cyprus but that isn't accurate at all. The Australians work in favour of their interest. Australian and Turkish trade exceeds 20 billion. Australian and Cyprus Trade is only 20 million. The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs is combined with Trade. So at a diplomatic level, Turkey always trumps Cyprus politically. It always will. This is what the Cyprus Ambassador faces in Canberra. They will always be second fiddle and in Australian terms are considered to be insignificant and unimportant compared to Turkey.

But there is no hatred for Cyprus politically. None at all. There is no hatred of Cyprus militarily either.

Despite the trade imbalance and the power of commercial and political interests, Australia and the UK will never recognize the "trnc" or support Turkey and its occupation either politically or militarily. It will NEVER happen.


You trade. Do you HAVE TO support their interests Vs 3rd parties just because you trade? Are you really obliged to do that? Why don't the Germans do it? Why don't the French? Why only the British?
Don't you see the difference?
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9521
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: Looks like 2018 could start with a bang!

Postby Paphitis » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:44 am

Pyrpolizer wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:Militarily and politically the British have always been hostile (to the Greek Cypriots) that’s a fact. It’s hard to throw such accusation on the face of any British person (including you of course) who in general are very nice and polite people who mean no harm. But unfortunately it’s true.


I need to take issue with the above Pyro because it is VERY dangerous thinking.

Firstly, I am going to say that the British do not hate us at all, either militarily or politically. If that were the case, there would be not as many Cypriots in the UK or Australia even.

There is no reason for them to hate us. They can hold a grudge for a little while, unlike us who have long memories and can hold a grudge for a longer while than them. But overall, they just take it as it comes with most people.

On the contrary, Cypriots are probably a very well liked people to them. Much better liked than many others.

Cyprus and Britain had some conflict but that was a long time ago. And by no means was the Cyprus conflict to be compared to other conflicts they have had around the world such as ww2 with Germany, or Argentina over Falklands and so on. They are friends with both Germany and Argentina. As far as barbarism is concerned, the Japanese were especially cruel to their military during WW2. Japan is now one of their best friends. Australia had a brutal war against Vietnam and the VC. Australia and USA are now good friends with the Communist Regime in Vietnam, militarily and politically.

If for some reason The UK hate us or do not like us, even just slightly, then that is our fault. To me that say's we are not as forthcoming to all their approaches for good relations, or they do not trust us for some reason. That is not good at all. The Cyprus Government will need to work very hard to destroy these perceptions as soon as possible.

Basically what I am saying to you is that they couldn't care about what happened 3 generations ago. That to them is history like everything else.

In addition, in 1974, the UK and USA were at odds with each other. The UK new that Cyprus was about to be invaded and its then Foreign Affairs Minister protested to Kissinger all the way through, and even at one point threatened Kissinger with upholding its Treaty Obligation to protect the territorial integrity of the Republic. It didn't do so, but a lot of these things are on the public record now.

The Brits were so unsure of the situation, and not a co-conspirator of the USA and Turkey, that they deployed troops to shore up SBA defences as there was in their mind at-least no guarantee that the Turkish Military will stop at the SBAs. They even deployed Nepalese Gurkha and Australian Troops (SAS) to Dhekelia. All this on the public record. Troops which would have opened fire on the Turks if they did not stop at Pyla.

Basically, I think you are wrong to say they are working against us. I don't believe they hate us at all. Not even politically. It's not something I have witnessed in a systematic way. They have had their flaws and made their stupid mistakes but I can't imagine them to hold grudges from 1955. It just isn't really them. They are always forward thinking not backward thinking. Always looking to befriend you not hate you.

I mean Cyprus is pretty insignificant as well. You would think that if they hate us, they would surely still hate the Germans, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Argentinians and perhaps so many others like the Russians as well. But that isn't the case. They don't hate any of those so why would they hate Cyprus? Doesn't make sense to me sorry.


I didn't say the British hate us. I said militarily and politically are hostile to us so this concerns the political and military establishment of the UK.
However in most cases this hostility is indirect, usually by working to support Turkey and her interests against us.
I can list tens of examples even including EU matters like their machinations regarding the Green line regulations for exports from the occupied.
I thought there's a widespread consent among GCs about this issue you are actually the first one I heard of disagreeing.
(GIG where are you, Paphitis might need more info, do you have some spare time?)

Like I said most British people are actually very friendly and polite. There's a small fraction of British nationalists though- and I met some of those freaks- who do really hate us and their memories go back to the ee-oka times as they like to spell it. One of those I met came directly to Cyprus with a military plane from the British bases. We were supposed to be their agents in Cyprus and I had to take him out for lunch. He refused to go to any restaurant outside the bases and kept knocking his finger on the table shouting at me "This soil here is British-British you hear?!" The idiot caught me by surprise...


Pyro, I think you need to settle down a bit. There is no reason for their military establishment or political elites to hate us. If their military were that fickle and hate little Cyprus, then they would hate the entire world. Cyprus doesn't even rate as a conversation point let alone be hated.

In Sydney I had a lovely little lunch with The Cyprus Ambassador through some mutual acquaintance. You can say that the Australian Government can work in support of Turkish Interests over Cyprus but that isn't accurate at all. The Australians work in favour of their interest. Australian and Turkish trade exceeds 20 billion. Australian and Cyprus Trade is only 20 million. The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs is combined with Trade. So at a diplomatic level, Turkey always trumps Cyprus politically. It always will. This is what the Cyprus Ambassador faces in Canberra. They will always be second fiddle and in Australian terms are considered to be insignificant and unimportant compared to Turkey.

But there is no hatred for Cyprus politically. None at all. There is no hatred of Cyprus militarily either.

Despite the trade imbalance and the power of commercial and political interests, Australia and the UK will never recognize the "trnc" or support Turkey and its occupation either politically or militarily. It will NEVER happen.


You trade. Do you HAVE TO support their interests Vs 3rd parties just because you trade? Are you really obliged to do that? Why don't the Germans do it? Why don't the French? Why only the British?
Don't you see the difference?


I'm not sure what the international norms are with respect to trade but I believe trade is a big part of it. Another big part is Arms Deals like the British Aerospace Contract to build the next Turkish Trainers.

Then, in Australia's case it is all the intelligence and security sharing with the Turkish Authorities about Australian fighters who have gone to Syria and for security purposes for all the Australians that visit Gallipoli at each ANZAC Day. Australia fears a terrorist attack here one day and is trying to work with Turkish Authorities to prevent it. In fact, it warns its citizens about going to Gallipoli because it deems Turkey to be unsafe but people ignore the warnings and continue to go.

You can say that relations between Australia and Turkey have a far greater width and breadth than they do with Cyprus. The relationship is far more developed. The Turkish Embassy in Canberra is massive and the Australian Embassy in Ankara also massive whereas the Australian Embassy in Nicosia is a small building. The Cyprus Embassy in Canberra is actually an impressive building but quite small in comparison.

So yes I believe there is considerable pressure to support their interests but they do not support their interests with respect to the Cyprus EEZ, or the Cyprus Problem and they are also at odds in other areas such as in Syria where they support the YPG which is an anathema to Turkey and has got Turkey very hot under the collar and pushed them closer to Russia which is another thing they do not like.

In addition, just because there is little interest in Cyprus because it is a small country doesn't translate to any hatred to Cyprus or an unwillingness to support Cypriot Interests. UK and Australia will always support the Cyprus EEZ as per its rights under UNCLOS and they will both support the territorial integrity of the Republic of Cyprus and recognize the dejure authority on the island against Turkish Interests and that won't change.

There is no longstanding animosity as far as I can tell at all. On the contrary, I believe relations with Cyprus are very warm.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 22130
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Looks like 2018 could start with a bang!

Postby Pyrpolizer » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:36 pm

Paphitis wrote:There is no longstanding animosity as far as I can tell at all. On the contrary, I believe relations with Cyprus are very warm.


The British are not only actively hostile against Cyprus they are actually pro-active taking the initiative on behalf of Turkey, or even instructing them against us when they are too dumb to think for themselves. We witnessed that hundreds of times from the 50s to date.
Where should we start counting from? Damn not even the British justice is impartial for anything against us as long as it serves Turkey. Re: Cherries Blair's case the wife of the British PM paid directly from Turkey and WINNING lol. Just to lose later at the EU Court...
You seem to got stuck on the "Excellent, brilliant, benevolent and omniscient Anglo-Saxon planet where everything works fine" Paphitis. Sorry.

NB. Try convincing me that the recent visit of Teressa's at the British bases to "congratulate" the British soldiers-for what only God knows-, did not carry a hidden threat.
Last edited by Pyrpolizer on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9521
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests