The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Boeing 737 MAX+

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Boeing 737 MAX+

Postby Paphitis » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:51 am

Kikapu wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Kikapu wrote:
Paphitis wrote:One thing I’m looking forward to is America. They are 20 years ahead of the game and leading the world in terms of the way they organize their airspace. Such a very well structured Air Traffic Control machine or system second to none. With the traffic in their airspace, everything is black or white, totally systematic and down the line.

No confusion, or opportunity for misunderstanding as they dumbed it down so much you know exactly what happens next. Professional.

Line up, take off, fly from ILS to ILS, land. Maybe a couple of holding patterns in between which are preprogrammed into the Flight plan anyway so all you do is press the hold button and the aircraft turns on to its outbound leg after its entry segment to join the pattern, automatically and you set you speed and altitude as directed.

Children of the magenta line. :lol:


Still, commercial pilots have landed at wrong airports/runways/lined up to taxiways on approach or have overflown destination airports without realizing it. :wink:


Maybe pilots with a Commercial License flying a bug smasher in the outback or non controlled airports have.

With some anecdotal tales of the occasional airliner lining up on a major highway initially.

But the way the tech is these days, I just find it inconceivable. I have however lined up on finals (15 miles on an RNAV) and heard of planes taxiing to the reciprocal runway. We get on the blower and they hold short for us.


No, I meant commercial pilots with major airlines.


I’ve never met anyone do such a thing. If they fly to an Initial Approach Fix and shoot an approach, it’s impossible.

Only in a Visual approach but airlines wouldn’t be allowed to do these unless they had to.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 29629
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Boeing 737 MAX+

Postby Paphitis » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:54 am

Kikapu wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Kikapu wrote:
Paphitis wrote:One thing I’m looking forward to is America. They are 20 years ahead of the game and leading the world in terms of the way they organize their airspace. Such a very well structured Air Traffic Control machine or system second to none. With the traffic in their airspace, everything is black or white, totally systematic and down the line.

No confusion, or opportunity for misunderstanding as they dumbed it down so much you know exactly what happens next. Professional.

Line up, take off, fly from ILS to ILS, land. Maybe a couple of holding patterns in between which are preprogrammed into the Flight plan anyway so all you do is press the hold button and the aircraft turns on to its outbound leg after its entry segment to join the pattern, automatically and you set you speed and altitude as directed.

Children of the magenta line. :lol:


Still, commercial pilots have landed at wrong airports/runways/lined up to taxiways on approach or have overflown destination airports without realizing it. :wink:


Maybe pilots with a Commercial License flying a bug smasher in the outback or non controlled airports have.

With some anecdotal tales of the occasional airliner lining up on a major highway initially.

But the way the tech is these days, I just find it inconceivable. I have however lined up on finals (15 miles on an RNAV) and heard of planes taxiing to the reciprocal runway. We get on the blower and they hold short for us.


No, I meant commercial pilots with major airlines.


Instruments never lie Kikapu. But your eyes and bodily senses can lie and trick your brain.

That’s why there is a strong focus on non visual flight rules or Instrument Flight Rules. We only fly IFR
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 29629
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Boeing 737 MAX+

Postby Kikapu » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:57 am

Paphitis wrote:
Kikapu wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Kikapu wrote:
Paphitis wrote:One thing I’m looking forward to is America. They are 20 years ahead of the game and leading the world in terms of the way they organize their airspace. Such a very well structured Air Traffic Control machine or system second to none. With the traffic in their airspace, everything is black or white, totally systematic and down the line.

No confusion, or opportunity for misunderstanding as they dumbed it down so much you know exactly what happens next. Professional.

Line up, take off, fly from ILS to ILS, land. Maybe a couple of holding patterns in between which are preprogrammed into the Flight plan anyway so all you do is press the hold button and the aircraft turns on to its outbound leg after its entry segment to join the pattern, automatically and you set you speed and altitude as directed.

Children of the magenta line. :lol:


Still, commercial pilots have landed at wrong airports/runways/lined up to taxiways on approach or have overflown destination airports without realizing it. :wink:


Maybe pilots with a Commercial License flying a bug smasher in the outback or non controlled airports have.

With some anecdotal tales of the occasional airliner lining up on a major highway initially.

But the way the tech is these days, I just find it inconceivable. I have however lined up on finals (15 miles on an RNAV) and heard of planes taxiing to the reciprocal runway. We get on the blower and they hold short for us.


No, I meant commercial pilots with major airlines.


Instruments never lie Kikapu. But your eyes and bodily senses can lie and trick your brain.


I agree. Those pilots who do not follow procedures or punch in wrong numbers into the system end up at the wrong airport.

They might not have a job either anymore. :wink:
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16670
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Boeing 737 MAX+

Postby Kikapu » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:08 am

This one was more extreme since the plane landed in the wrong country. :D


BA flight lands in Edinburgh instead of Düsseldorf by mistake

By Katie Hope
Business reporter, BBC News
Published25 March 2019

A British Airways flight destined for Düsseldorf in Germany has landed in Edinburgh by mistake, after the flight paperwork was submitted incorrectly.

The passengers only realised the error when the plane landed and the "welcome to Edinburgh" announcement was made.
The plane, which started at London's City Airport, was then redirected and landed in Düsseldorf. WDL Aviation ran the BA flight through a leasing deal.

BA said it was working with WDL to find out why it filed the wrong flight plan.
"We have apologised to customers for this interruption to their journey and will be contacting them all individually," BA said in a statement. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

892EAEBF-7E67-4F43-ACC4-BE48D55981D8.png


https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47691478
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16670
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Boeing 737 MAX+

Postby Paphitis » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:24 pm

Kikapu wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Kikapu wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Kikapu wrote:
Paphitis wrote:One thing I’m looking forward to is America. They are 20 years ahead of the game and leading the world in terms of the way they organize their airspace. Such a very well structured Air Traffic Control machine or system second to none. With the traffic in their airspace, everything is black or white, totally systematic and down the line.

No confusion, or opportunity for misunderstanding as they dumbed it down so much you know exactly what happens next. Professional.

Line up, take off, fly from ILS to ILS, land. Maybe a couple of holding patterns in between which are preprogrammed into the Flight plan anyway so all you do is press the hold button and the aircraft turns on to its outbound leg after its entry segment to join the pattern, automatically and you set you speed and altitude as directed.

Children of the magenta line. :lol:


Still, commercial pilots have landed at wrong airports/runways/lined up to taxiways on approach or have overflown destination airports without realizing it. :wink:


Maybe pilots with a Commercial License flying a bug smasher in the outback or non controlled airports have.

With some anecdotal tales of the occasional airliner lining up on a major highway initially.

But the way the tech is these days, I just find it inconceivable. I have however lined up on finals (15 miles on an RNAV) and heard of planes taxiing to the reciprocal runway. We get on the blower and they hold short for us.


No, I meant commercial pilots with major airlines.


Instruments never lie Kikapu. But your eyes and bodily senses can lie and trick your brain.


I agree. Those pilots who do not follow procedures or punch in wrong numbers into the system end up at the wrong airport.

They might not have a job either anymore. :wink:


We don’t punch in numbers anymore unless you punch in a preloaded flight plan. But when that gets loaded, you got to read each waypoint out load as part of the checks and then complete a departure and emergency brief.

If someone preloads the wrong Flight plan, they haven’t followed procedure.

However, I’ve also taken off without properly preloading a Flight plan. Like depart Brisbane for Melbourne. You just dial up the first waypoint and load up on climb. To save time but even that isn’t by the book really.

Incorrect waypoints get entered sometimes. I’ve even done that. Doesn’t get picked up in a busy cockpit. But it gets picked up no problem at all when you notice the plane turning in the wrong direction or turning on a wrong heading. Or we complete the checklist by completing our briefs which are mandatory.

These are just human factors and not dangerous. You mentioned landing on the wrong runway, lining up on highways and flying to a wrong airport.

The only time we put numbers in is when we make up our own waypoints - extremely rare. But you do things like that in certain contexts. Hardly ever in civil aviation though.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 29629
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Boeing 737 MAX+

Postby Paphitis » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:34 pm

Kikapu wrote:This one was more extreme since the plane landed in the wrong country. :D


BA flight lands in Edinburgh instead of Düsseldorf by mistake

By Katie Hope
Business reporter, BBC News
Published25 March 2019

A British Airways flight destined for Düsseldorf in Germany has landed in Edinburgh by mistake, after the flight paperwork was submitted incorrectly.

The passengers only realised the error when the plane landed and the "welcome to Edinburgh" announcement was made.
The plane, which started at London's City Airport, was then redirected and landed in Düsseldorf. WDL Aviation ran the BA flight through a leasing deal.

BA said it was working with WDL to find out why it filed the wrong flight plan.
"We have apologised to customers for this interruption to their journey and will be contacting them all individually," BA said in a statement. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

892EAEBF-7E67-4F43-ACC4-BE48D55981D8.png


https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47691478


You mean they landed at Edinburgh deluberately.

I hate media articles like this.

First, do you think the Air Traffickers wouldn’t have noticed when they aircraft was after Düsseldorf Approach? Seriously? :lol:

Or they didn’t notice the aircraft heading in the wrong direction. As soon as you go off course by 2 nms, they start getting nervous. There is only a 2 mile tracking tolerance.

And how the he’ll did they shoot the approach with the wrong frequency? Mmm

Or not be on the correct comms frequency?

Why wasn’t the BA Flight contacted on 121.500?

What was air traffic control doing? :?

Sounds like horse shit to me? Very creative reporting from the bbc there.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 29629
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Boeing 737 MAX+

Postby Paphitis » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:48 pm

Kikapu wrote:This one was more extreme since the plane landed in the wrong country. :D


BA flight lands in Edinburgh instead of Düsseldorf by mistake

By Katie Hope
Business reporter, BBC News
Published25 March 2019

A British Airways flight destined for Düsseldorf in Germany has landed in Edinburgh by mistake, after the flight paperwork was submitted incorrectly.

The passengers only realised the error when the plane landed and the "welcome to Edinburgh" announcement was made.
The plane, which started at London's City Airport, was then redirected and landed in Düsseldorf. WDL Aviation ran the BA flight through a leasing deal.

BA said it was working with WDL to find out why it filed the wrong flight plan.
"We have apologised to customers for this interruption to their journey and will be contacting them all individually," BA said in a statement. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

892EAEBF-7E67-4F43-ACC4-BE48D55981D8.png


https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47691478


Here is what I think is much closer to the truth,

They entered the wrong flight plan or waypoint. Started flying in the wrong direction. Not possible if procedure was followed.

Pilots and Air Traffic picked it up. Decision was made to continue to Edinburgh because they would have cut into their fuel reserves if they went to Düsseldorf.

But that would sell less papers. :wink:

No way in high hell it would have slipped through to the keeper and Air Traffic Control or Pilots wouldn’t have picked it up in a dense radar environment.!
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 29629
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Boeing 737 MAX+

Postby repulsewarrior » Fri May 07, 2021 3:44 pm



...just an amazing flight.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10785
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Boeing 737 MAX+

Postby repulsewarrior » Sun May 30, 2021 5:32 pm

...thinking of 9-11, and how a whole airplane disappears while crashing into the Pentagon's walls,

User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10785
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Boeing 737 MAX+

Postby Londonrake » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:39 am

Paphitis:

"We are hiring". Proof of the puddin' and all that.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/07/13/ryan ... f-boeings/

.
Londonrake
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest