The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


time to wake up

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: time to wake up

Postby erolz66 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Sotos wrote:Personally I would like to see our schools become fully secular and to brake away from anything related to religion. That said a girl in a headscarf is the least of our problems. If we were to deal with all other issues and end the influence that our Church has on education, then I would say that yes, there is a specific uniform and everybody has to wear that uniform. Otherwise there is no point in uniform since anybody can make up a religion and say that what he choose to wear is mandated by his religion.


Having a consistent uniform policy that everyone knows about up front is one thing. A headmaster pulling a student out of class for wearing a headscarf that she had worn at that same school for the previous three years without issue seems to me to be something different. Nor can I see any reason why a school uniform policy can not accommodate an appropriate headscarf, in the necessary colours and style that fits with the rest of the uniform, as an option available to those who wish to wear such ? Are orthodox jewish pupils allowed to wear the kippah in RoC state schools ? Are Sikh boys allowed to wear a patka in RoC state schools ? Are there any Sikh children in RoC state schools ?
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: time to wake up

Postby Pyrpolizer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:15 pm

erolz66 wrote:
Sotos wrote:Personally I would like to see our schools become fully secular and to brake away from anything related to religion. That said a girl in a headscarf is the least of our problems. If we were to deal with all other issues and end the influence that our Church has on education, then I would say that yes, there is a specific uniform and everybody has to wear that uniform. Otherwise there is no point in uniform since anybody can make up a religion and say that what he choose to wear is mandated by his religion.


Having a consistent uniform policy that everyone knows about up front is one thing. A headmaster pulling a student out of class for wearing a headscarf that she had worn at that same school for the previous three years without issue seems to me to be something different. Nor can I see any reason why a school uniform policy can not accommodate an appropriate headscarf, in the necessary colours and style that fits with the rest of the uniform, as an option available to those who wish to wear such ? Are orthodox jewish pupils allowed to wear the kippah in RoC state schools ? Are Sikh boys allowed to wear a patka in RoC state schools ? Are there any Sikh children in RoC state schools ?


No there aren't! We apply EU rules, not UK commonwealth rules :wink:
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10942
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: time to wake up

Postby Sotos » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:16 pm

erolz66 wrote:
Sotos wrote:Personally I would like to see our schools become fully secular and to brake away from anything related to religion. That said a girl in a headscarf is the least of our problems. If we were to deal with all other issues and end the influence that our Church has on education, then I would say that yes, there is a specific uniform and everybody has to wear that uniform. Otherwise there is no point in uniform since anybody can make up a religion and say that what he choose to wear is mandated by his religion.


Having a consistent uniform policy that everyone knows about up front is one thing. A headmaster pulling a student out of class for wearing a headscarf that she had worn at that same school for the previous three years without issue seems to me to be something different. Nor can I see any reason why a school uniform policy can not accommodate an appropriate headscarf, in the necessary colours and style that fits with the rest of the uniform, as an option available to those who wish to wear such ? Are orthodox jewish pupils allowed to wear the kippah in RoC state schools ? Are Sikh boys allowed to wear a patka in RoC state schools ? Are there any Sikh children in RoC state schools ?


Clearly the situation as it exists now is not ideal, and as I said a girl in a headscarf is the least of the issues. A much bigger issue is for example that "traditionally" the Church approves the minister of education before he is appointed!

But theoretically speaking in an ideal situation, if there is a uniform, everybody should be in that uniform, otherwise what is the point of the uniform? If we are going to make exceptions to accommodate religions then anybody can wear whatever he/she wants and claim it as something mandated by their religion. Somebody could show up in a Micky Mouse hat and claim that he is a follower of the Micky Mouse religion and that he has to wear it. You can't say that his religion is "made up" and "stupid" because this is the case for all religions, so you can't discriminate against him.
User avatar
Sotos
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11356
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 am

Re: time to wake up

Postby Pyrpolizer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:17 pm

Lordo wrote:secular schools? you is havin a laugh boys. the schools cannot wipe their arses without the permission of the church, it contols every word taught in achool and you have the audacity to claim that in some way the schools are nut fully secular and need to be.

and i mean there is deaf and there is blind and you is both boy.


As if your schools are any better. Show me just one Turkish book at schools which does not start and end with propaganda for Ataturk.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10942
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: time to wake up

Postby Cap » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:18 pm

Pyrpolizer wrote:It's both religious and cultural.
As a cultural thing it even existed in Cyprus, most women in Cyprus would wear a scarf in the past. Don't know why, probably to project less of their beauties, probably because there were no hairdressers...

However not all cultural things are acceptable in Cyprus. A Korean may not come to Cyprus and start eating dogs, an Arab may not live in Cyprus and marry 2 or even 3 wives.

Compare what would happen to a Cypriot living in the Gulf who forgot to take his shoes off when entering an Arabic house.
Compare what would happen to a Cypriot taking his coffee in an Arabic hotel lounge, having his legs crossed...
Both of the these happened to me personally... :shock:

This didn't prevent me from entering a mosque when nobody was there just to see how it was inside. Too much luxury man, just like Kykkos monastery.
Also the first time I saw them at the hospital backyard spreading their rags en mass, bowing their asses up the sky to do their 3rd prayer out of 5 per day, I couldn't help myself from bursting to laughter non stop. Thank God there was no policeman around, My colleagues got terrified saying "what are you doing man are you crazy?"


:lol: :lol:

What our dear foreign bred and brainwashed Lordo is trying to do.
Spread his Anatolian religion.
Never ONCE, did he think about our Northerners having to deal with Anatiolian religious and cultural invasion.
The North, what we refer to as 'TC's' are historically Kemalist and secular.
The women wear short skirts and men drink alcohol like fish.
But he's rather raise questions about head scarfs and 'intolerance' in the south.
User avatar
Cap
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7276
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Cypriot Empire

Re: time to wake up

Postby erolz66 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Sotos wrote:But theoretically speaking in an ideal situation, if there is a uniform, everybody should be in that uniform, otherwise what is the point of the uniform? If we are going to make exceptions to accommodate religions then anybody can wear whatever he/she wants and claim it as something mandated by their religion. Somebody could show up in a Micky Mouse hat and claim that he is a follower of the Micky Mouse religion and that he has to wear it. You can't say that his religion is "made up" and "stupid" because this is the case for all religions, so you can't discriminate against him.


I still do not see why a school uniform policy can not accommodate an appropriate headscarf ? Nor do I think it is beyond the wit of man to be able top say that sikhism is and established recognised religion and mickey mouseism is not ? The school I went to in the UK (private fee paying school - which in some Orwellian way we call a 'public school') had a very strict and strictly enforced uniform policy that was able to accommodate students following religions like sikhism and orthodox judesim without any problem.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: time to wake up

Postby Lordo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:35 pm

Pyrpolizer wrote:
Lordo wrote:secular schools? you is havin a laugh boys. the schools cannot wipe their arses without the permission of the church, it contols every word taught in achool and you have the audacity to claim that in some way the schools are nut fully secular and need to be.

and i mean there is deaf and there is blind and you is both boy.


As if your schools are any better. Show me just one Turkish book at schools which does not start and end with propaganda for Ataturk.

where did i claim that. but at least religion is pretty well kept out of it.

but there is one difference which is not so obvious to those who have not attended a tc school. tc teachers are very progressive where as gc teachers are very right wing. so much so that a tc teacher living in the south and working in the south are not allowed to join the gc teachers union. where on earth is there another teachers union that only allows one race of people as members. i grant you that greek teachers from greece are allowed to join the secondary teachers union but not tc teachers. i wonder why?
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16186
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: time to wake up

Postby erolz66 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:42 pm

Pyrpolizer wrote:
erolz66 wrote: Are there any Sikh children in RoC state schools ?


No there aren't! We apply EU rules, not UK commonwealth rules :wink:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1w-zuq8Pfk
https://www.worldgurudwaras.com/world-g ... hib-cyprus

Not sure what you mean by EU rules and how that applies to if there is or is not a Sikh community in Cyprus ? Anyway it would appear there is such a community in Cyprus. Would be interested to know how they get on in RoC state schools if they attend such. Anyway.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: time to wake up

Postby Pyrpolizer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:25 pm

Lordo wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:
Lordo wrote:secular schools? you is havin a laugh boys. the schools cannot wipe their arses without the permission of the church, it contols every word taught in achool and you have the audacity to claim that in some way the schools are nut fully secular and need to be.

and i mean there is deaf and there is blind and you is both boy.


As if your schools are any better. Show me just one Turkish book at schools which does not start and end with propaganda for Ataturk.

where did i claim that. but at least religion is pretty well kept out of it.

but there is one difference which is not so obvious to those who have not attended a tc school. tc teachers are very progressive where as gc teachers are very right wing. so much so that a tc teacher living in the south and working in the south are not allowed to join the gc teachers union. where on earth is there another teachers union that only allows one race of people as members. i grant you that greek teachers from greece are allowed to join the secondary teachers union but not tc teachers. i wonder why?


I really doubt it. Who is that TC teacher and what does s/he teach?
i think you mentioned someone in the past who was just helping TC children to adapt, something like an external assistant... but that's quite different from been a teacher.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10942
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: time to wake up

Postby Pyrpolizer » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:43 pm

erolz66 wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:
erolz66 wrote: Are there any Sikh children in RoC state schools ?


No there aren't! We apply EU rules, not UK commonwealth rules :wink:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1w-zuq8Pfk
https://www.worldgurudwaras.com/world-g ... hib-cyprus

Not sure what you mean by EU rules and how that applies to if there is or is not a Sikh community in Cyprus ? Anyway it would appear there is such a community in Cyprus. Would be interested to know how they get on in RoC state schools if they attend such. Anyway.


I mean from 3rd countries we can only import temporary workers each one for upto 2 years.
This way they never get any citizenship rights
Temporary workers come as single (can't bring their families with them) hence there are no families and no children to attend school.
The communities you mentioned are just those single workers.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10942
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests