The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The risks to children of British public schools.

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby erolz66 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:08 pm

Londonrake wrote:
erolz66 wrote:
Londonrake wrote:It's been mentioned quite a few times before,


Mentioned quite a few times before by yourself saying the same thing over and over ? Or do you mean by multiple different posters ? If you mean the latter care to show say 2 actual examples of these 'quite a few times' ?


I know you like trawling through lots of posts (counting smileys :D ) but I'm not going to. If you think I'm wrong, well, it wouldn't be the first time, would it?


I do think you are wrong. I do not 'like' trawling though lots of posts. I do like being as factual and accurate as I can, especially and more so when I am 'accusing' someone and am willing to put effort in to that end.
erolz66
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Londonrake » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:11 pm

erolz66 wrote:
Londonrake wrote:Because, after some time "debating" an issue (I can't even remember what it was) everybody that had a contra opinion to your own just stopped posting. Personally, I was tired of trying to work out what you were exactly trying to say. Good enough?

You do seem to have a lot of red flags.


So it is beyond the realms of possibility then that some who 'stop posting' did so because they just had no more to say ? No more counter argument. Or some because they went away for a period of time. Why does the phenomenon of them not posting have be the result of the same singular cause that matches the reason why you as an individual stop posting ? Is that not a somewhat 'ego centric' view of the world ? You stop posting because you could not work out what I was saying. Other people stopped posting. Therefore the reason why they stopped posting must be, can only be, the same as your reason. That seems to be your 'logic'. If you can not see the frailty of such logic then I can not help you.


Because - as I recall - you were really (really) going on at the time. Then you usually come back with something along the lines of X missing your point.

All this is fogging up my original view. You do seem to have a very archaic and verbose way of making what are often quite simple points. It can be grinding.

Enough? It's gettin' late.
Londonrake
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby erolz66 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:16 pm

Londonrake wrote:
erolz66 wrote:
Londonrake wrote:Because, after some time "debating" an issue (I can't even remember what it was) everybody that had a contra opinion to your own just stopped posting. Personally, I was tired of trying to work out what you were exactly trying to say. Good enough?

You do seem to have a lot of red flags.


So it is beyond the realms of possibility then that some who 'stop posting' did so because they just had no more to say ? No more counter argument. Or some because they went away for a period of time. Why does the phenomenon of them not posting have be the result of the same singular cause that matches the reason why you as an individual stop posting ? Is that not a somewhat 'ego centric' view of the world ? You stop posting because you could not work out what I was saying. Other people stopped posting. Therefore the reason why they stopped posting must be, can only be, the same as your reason. That seems to be your 'logic'. If you can not see the frailty of such logic then I can not help you.


Because - as I recall - you were really (really) going on at the time. Then you usually come back with something along the lines of X missing your point.


How could I come back with 'you are missing my point' when everyone stopped posting ?
erolz66
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Londonrake » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:23 pm

erolz66 wrote:
Londonrake wrote:Because, after some time "debating" an issue (I can't even remember what it was) everybody that had a contra opinion to your own just stopped posting. Personally, I was tired of trying to work out what you were exactly trying to say. Good enough?

You do seem to have a lot of red flags.


So it is beyond the realms of possibility then that some who 'stop posting' did so because they just had no more to say ? No more counter argument. Or some because they went away for a period of time. Why does the phenomenon of them not posting have be the result of the same singular cause that matches the reason why you as an individual stop posting ? Is that not a somewhat 'ego centric' view of the world ? You stop posting because you could not work out what I was saying. Other people stopped posting. Therefore the reason why they stopped posting must be, can only be, the same as your reason. That seems to be your 'logic'. If you can not see the frailty of such logic then I can not help you.

I do indeed have a range of red flags but to date and from memory and certainly recently I have mentioned only ONE. People talking about what 'everyone' else thinks or believes (which is pretty much always what the person doing this thinks)


Sigh. You sound like some prosecuting beak E but - sorry - I am certainly not playing the role of a defendant. Your posts can sometimes be verbose and obtuse to match. It can be wearing. Take it or leave it.

No need to get personal. :wink:
Londonrake
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby erolz66 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:48 pm

Is anyone forcing you to participate here ? Seems you chose to participate more to talk about my failings as you see them than anything else ?
erolz66
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Pyrpolizer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:49 pm

Erolz for a start I got confused of your terms public school Vs state school. Just curious, is this the terminology used in the UK?
In any case I will use the terms private Vs public (meaning state) schools in my post.

I finally understood your point as to why there is more risk in the private schools of UK for children getting abused.
Looking at the evidence you provided, you are probably right.

The question is do such things still happen and go unpunished in the UK?
I mean even in Cyprus such things can almost never be hidden these days, and there are severe punishments ranging from getting fired to ending up in jail.

Things changed a lot from the times I was a student when everybody including our parents could beat us.
Teachers were beating us, and at the age of 10 I had the first sadist spinster hitting us in the palm with a beech wood ruler until we 'd lose our breath. Verbally abusive and violent teachers were common back then. Sexual harassment, erm not so much, I was at a high school for boys, where at the age of 13 a young beauty in her early 20s, wearing super mini skirt liked to bend showing us her ass on purpose. I actually enjoyed that anyway. Then at 17 there was another flirting very openly with everyone, and a few in my class fell in love with her.
I never heard of pedophilia, but one of my class was raped by a group of bullies after school hours while waiting for the bus to take him to his village. He complained to both the teachers and the headmaster but nothing happened as far as I know.

When I sent my kids to school I just told them that if any teacher would dare touch them, come and tell me and I would go and turn him/her to ashes. So much was my anger about the "system". But like I said things changed. The biggest risk in schools today is drugs.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10468
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Londonrake » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:02 pm

erolz66 wrote:Is anyone forcing you to participate here ? Seems you chose to participate more to talk about my failings as you see them than anything else ?



No, of course not. Few seem to offer a counter though. Other than the odd riposte. I suppose it depends upon what you're seeking here. This forum - and others to be honest - don't in any way "sustain" me. I can take it or leave it. But - we all have failings - no?
Londonrake
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Paphitis » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:04 am

Child abuse can occur anywhere and also in Government Schools.

Private schools, which are run by Religious Organisations and their arms, like the Catholic Church and others however are sometimes targeted for slander and abuse by secularist and usually left wing political movements.

I can only speak from my experiences in Australia and as a student who attended catholic Private Schools. The catholic Schools I attended were pretty strict. My primary school was run by nuns. Nearly all our teachers were Nuns, They were very nice as you can imagine. Ladies married to the Church and God.

I do remember one Sister who had a particular dislike to me though. I was always running the gauntlet and perhaps I was a bit of a handful for these Nuns, but Sister Francis thought I was possessed by the Devil himself.

I use to get belted with the cane so many times. My Father, sent us to this school deliberately, because it was well heeled, strict and he always was a proponent of harsh discipline.

My other experience with private Schools are now with the Anglican System. My children attend an Anglican run school. That's the Church of England. This school is certainly top tier. It's expensive and it is a tie school which leads the children on to the High School equivalent.

Why do I send them here?

Because the standards are not just high, but most of the kids come from well heeled families plus I want to give my kids the best chance in life. The Alumni of this school is very sophisticated and it reaches the Medical Boards of Australia, the Halls of Power and politics, and the Legal Fraternities and jobs are allocated just by attended these Primary and Secondary schools even more so than university.

So this is the reason why I invest in it.

A lot of the families invest in this for the same reasons and many do struggle with the fees. Migrant families are usually the most aspirational in my view. Purely working class people, struggling to buy a house even but who value education so much for their children. It really is amazing the types of people that attend these schools. Great people, great ethos, and very well grounded families. The kind of people you want your children to be involved with.

In addition, you do know what you get with these schools and these schools do shield the children from a lot of nonsense out there in the public sector - revolving around genders, sexuality and other stupid things.

I feel privileged to be able to send my kids to this school.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25462
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Paphitis » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:14 am

Pyrpolizer wrote:Erolz for a start I got confused of your terms public school Vs state school. Just curious, is this the terminology used in the UK?
In any case I will use the terms private Vs public (meaning state) schools in my post.

I finally understood your point as to why there is more risk in the private schools of UK for children getting abused.
Looking at the evidence you provided, you are probably right.

The question is do such things still happen and go unpunished in the UK?
I mean even in Cyprus such things can almost never be hidden these days, and there are severe punishments ranging from getting fired to ending up in jail.

Things changed a lot from the times I was a student when everybody including our parents could beat us.
Teachers were beating us, and at the age of 10 I had the first sadist spinster hitting us in the palm with a beech wood ruler until we 'd lose our breath. Verbally abusive and violent teachers were common back then. Sexual harassment, erm not so much, I was at a high school for boys, where at the age of 13 a young beauty in her early 20s, wearing super mini skirt liked to bend showing us her ass on purpose. I actually enjoyed that anyway. Then at 17 there was another flirting very openly with everyone, and a few in my class fell in love with her.
I never heard of pedophilia, but one of my class was raped by a group of bullies after school hours while waiting for the bus to take him to his village. He complained to both the teachers and the headmaster but nothing happened as far as I know.

When I sent my kids to school I just told them that if any teacher would dare touch them, come and tell me and I would go and turn him/her to ashes. So much was my anger about the "system". But like I said things changed. The biggest risk in schools today is drugs.


That assumption is incorrect.

The private sector is a very well run system.

The Catholic System in Australia teaches about 20% of all Australian children and academically they are superior. In fact, private schools as a whole, whether Catholic, Anglican (my children attend Anglican Schools), Lutheran and Orthodox are superior to the Public system. The standards are far greater, the facilities are better, classroom sizes are smaller, and they have the best teachers too because they pay 6 figure salaries.

The sports facilities and extra curricula activities are better organized, and best of all is the post graduation after care through the relevant post grad networks is well established and very closely knit. People win jobs just based on the Primary or Secondary School they attended.

For example, just like in the UK, if you attend such and such a school, you could be going places - just like Boris Johnson, or David Cameron.

This happens in Australia too. News Limited (Murdoch) for instance is full of Journos from a few certain schools and so on. The same can be said for the Medical and Legal fraternities and also politics.

I am a product of the Catholic System. And apart from getting called Satan before I got walloped, I can't say I really got abused or that the Sisters were bad. They were friends with my Mum and had coffee with her many times. I remember so many nice moments with them as well and that generally they were very protective of me or cared for all the children under their care. Ladies of God so what else can be said?

My children are attending Anglican Schools and the professionalism and standards here are extremely top shelf. It's faultless. But expensive. :shock:

They have to justify the fees they charge somehow, and there is no question in my mind that the children become very well grounded because of these schools.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25462
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Pyrpolizer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:41 am

Paphitis wrote:That assumption is incorrect.

The private sector is a very well run system.

The Catholic System in Australia teaches about 20% of all Australian children and academically they are superior. In fact, private schools as a whole, whether Catholic, Anglican (my children attend Anglican Schools), Lutheran and Orthodox are superior to the Public system. The standards are far greater, the facilities are better, classroom sizes are smaller, and they have the best teachers too because they pay 6 figure salaries.

The sports facilities and extra curricula activities are better organized, and best of all is the post graduation after care through the relevant post grad networks is well established and very closely knit. People win jobs just based on the Primary or Secondary School they attended.

For example, just like in the UK, if you attend such and such a school, you could be going places - just like Boris Johnson, or David Cameron.

This happens in Australia too. News Limited (Murdoch) for instance is full of Journos from a few certain schools and so on. The same can be said for the Medical and Legal fraternities and also politics.

I am a product of the Catholic System. And apart from getting called Satan before I got walloped, I can't say I really got abused or that the Sisters were bad. They were friends with my Mum and had coffee with her many times. I remember so many nice moments with them as well and that generally they were very protective of me or cared for all the children under their care. Ladies of God so what else can be said?

My children are attending Anglican Schools and the professionalism and standards here are extremely top shelf. It's faultless. But expensive. :shock:

They have to justify the fees they charge somehow, and there is no question in my mind that the children become very well grounded because of these schools.


Which assumption is wrong??
Erolz talked about the higher risk in private schools and provided a method to get it statistically.
He also talked that the system is such that tends to hide mistreatment of children in private schools.
I don't see anything wrong in those statements unless you want to believe they are wrong. Which by itself is another issue.

As for the ladies of God, give me a break. Religion is against nature, "getting married to God" and staying pure with no sex is perversion.
All sorts of sexual crimes derive from that, look at the church all around the world, all perverts who can't face reality end up in there.
Have you heard of the 2 nuns from Italy who went to Africa for preaching? Both returned pregnant! It was on the news just yesterday.

Even in my high school (kykkos Gymnasium for boys*) young female teachers who were in urgent need of a husband, were making clear passes on us... that's nature.

* NB. Thank God they abolished the system of separating the boys from girls in high schools. It was an anachronism even back then, but I was unlucky enough to be in one of the very few "separated" that existed.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10468
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests