The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The risks to children of British public schools.

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby erolz66 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:14 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 84406.html

Catholic boarding schools 'prioritised monks and their reputations over children's safety', sexual abuse inquiry finds. Inquiry finds children as young as seven were sexually abused at Ampleforth, and 11 at Downside.

Professor Alexis Jay, chair of the inquiry, said: “For decades Ampleforth and Downside tried to avoid giving any information about child sexual abuse to police and social services. “Instead, monks in both institutions were very often secretive, evasive and suspicious of anyone outside the English Benedictine Congregation. “Safeguarding children was less important than the reputation of the church and the wellbeing of the abusive monks. The report found that the true scale of sexual abuse at the fee-paying schools, whose alumni include politicians, aristocrats and celebrities, was likely to be “considerably” more widespread than conviction figures reflect.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Paphitis » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:18 pm

That is completely false. You don't normally see monks at catholic schools or even Nuns like I use to in the old days.

Just very professional and highly qualified teachers. At the very most, the school does have a Parish and Church. Therefore, there is a Priest who is also associated with the school and Catholic students are able to access Pastoral care from this Priest.

But not all students who attend these schools are Catholic.

There is no policy whatsoever from any catholic Schools that prioritize any clergy or monks over children.

And there is no systemic levels of abuse either, but plenty of unfounded accusations from secular sectors who want to bring this system down and will fail.

Yes there has been abuse in the past, but there are 1 million Australian Children attending these schools and everything is so tightly controlled and regulated. There is a lot more security at Private Schools as well with CCTV everywhere. Classrooms and halls are monitored and so on.

These private institutions know exactly what is going on and have all the policies and procedures to protect themselves as well as good lawyers and advisors. Plus they do actually care about the students. The teachers and management are heavily invested in the children. The children are not just a number. They get better care and better tuition because the Private Sector also has the best teachers because they pay higher salaries as well.

I had my children attend a Private Orthodox School briefly before I could get them to the school I wanted, and let me tell you that I was extremely impressed with that school. Not as well established and a lot cheaper but man, that was so cosy and the school was professional and the teachers were awesome. There is a parish Priest there as well, and he was great. We are good mates too. Parents were good and very friendly.

There was a lot of bang for buck in that school as that school had a lot going for it.

These days, a school can get accused of abuse if a priest merely hugs a child. This Orthodox Priest would walk around the yard and high five all the kids. My kids would run up and hug him and he would hug them in return. He was certainly a character but I have no doubt that one day, there is a high probability of chance that he will be accused of something. Something I mentioned to him once.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26183
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby erolz66 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:38 pm

Paphitis wrote:That is completely false.


These are fee paying schools in the UK. The findings are from a public enquiry.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 69776.html

Children abused for decades at ‘sadistic’ Catholic school where paedophile priests ‘acted like mafia’, inquiry finds. Since 2003, four members of staff – an abbot, a monk and two teachers – have been convicted of sexual offences relating to 21 children. The inquiry panel received evidence of at least 18 further allegations against those men and eight other monks and teachers, although it said the true scale of the abuse was likely to be “much higher”.


CONVICTED

“For years, a culture of cover-up and denial meant children at Ealing Abbey and St Benedict’s School suffered appalling sexual and physical abuse,” said professor Alexis Jay, the inquiry’s chair. Paedophiles at the school were “emboldened by this inertia”, the report suggested. “Serial abuser” David Pearce, a monk and headteacher of St Benedict’s junior school, committed sexual assaults “with apparent impunity” over a three-decade period, the inquiry noted.At least 14 boys complained of being sexually abused by Pearce, who would line up naked pupils and openly film them at the school’s swimming pool. Teachers and other monks were aware of his behaviour but “seemingly powerless to do anything about it”, with staff afraid that they would lose their jobs if they spoke up, the report said. The report added Pearce had been protected by Laurence Soper, Ealing’s abbot between 1991 and 2000, who himself abused at least 10 children while in other senior roles at the school and abbey between 1972 and 1983. Many of the assaults, which included multiple rapes, were committed by Soper “during acts of corporal punishment apparently inflicted on the slightest of pretexts”, the inquiry heard.


What do you have Paphitis ? Just claims that 'this is all false' because you say so. The inquiry all too stupid or incompetent to see as clearly as you it would seem. The juries in the 4 separate trials that result in criminal convictions noted above, all to dumb to see your 'reality' that it is false claims. The 4 seperate judges. All to dumb. This is what you have. You can not handle the truth so you just keep

Image

You can not handle the truth.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Paphitis » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:46 pm

Yes I claim it's false because all the accusations of abuse are wild hyperbole and exxagerated by a media that loves this kind of stuff.

I mean imagine a juicy little headline of "Greek Orthodox Priest at Greek Orthodox Private School arrested for child abuse".

Friggin juicy headline right there and there would be a lot of people in public salivating at such a profit, Orthodox too.

And dig deeper and you find that all the poor bugger did was hug a child. This is what is happening here.

No doubt there are some accusations which are serious and these get dealt with by law enforcement in the proper manner.

But for every legit complaint, there are dozens of made up complaints.

As a matter of fact, there was a Greek Orthodox Priest who was accused of abuse at an Orthodox Private School. The parents tried to set the poor bugger up because they didn't like him. The good news is, this Priest is still working as a priest and is still responsible for his school as all the charges were cleared. This stuff actually does occur.

parents can be such arseholes too holding people's lives to ransom like that.

And as soon as such allegations are made, all the media and TV Crews are at the front and it makes headline news. Media love this stuff.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26183
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Paphitis » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:54 pm

case in point: Israel Folau.

The poor bugger got crucified by the media because he tweeted 2 pieces of scripture during the same sex marriage debate.

Sorry, but that was way OTT.

The poor bugger should be on the Rugby Field where he belongs because he is a great player and his religious beliefs are his own personal matters.

Everyone wants to bring down the Christian establishment and Christian Schools.

Well, it won't happen.
Last edited by Paphitis on Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26183
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby erolz66 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:54 pm

Paphitis wrote:Yes I claim it's false because all the accusations of abuse are wild hyperbole and exxagerated by a media that loves this kind of stuff.

I mean imagine a juicy little headline of "Greek Orthodox Priest at Greek Orthodox Private School arrested for child abuse".

Friggin juicy headline right there and there would be a lot of people in public salivating at such a profit, Orthodox too.

And dig deeper and you find that all the poor bugger did was hug a child. This is what is happening here.

No doubt there are some accusations which are serious and these get dealt with by law enforcement in the proper manner.

But for every legit complaint, there are dozens of made up complaints.


Except these are not the exaggerations of the media. These are the findings of a public enquiry. When you dig a bit deeper you find that four members of staff – an abbot, a monk and two teachers – have been convicted of sexual offences relating to 21 children. It was the INQUIRY not the media that stated the true scale of the abuse was likely to be “much higher”

you can not handle the truth. You live in denial. And yet again you sink to disgusting levels when you try and portray CONVICTED child sexual abusers as simple 'good people who simply hugged a child'. Abhorrent behaviour in my book that you just repeat over and over because YOU CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby erolz66 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:58 pm

Paphitis wrote:case in point...


No the specific case in point in this last example was the findings of a public inquiry that followed the CONVICTION in COURTS OF LAW of FOUR serial child sex abusers in one particular school and the systematic attempts to cover such things up by the ABBOT who himself abused at least 10 children while in other senior roles at the school and abbey between 1972 and 1983.

None of this is made 'untrue' because there have also been false and exaggerated claims. YOU CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Paphitis » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:59 pm

erolz66 wrote:
Paphitis wrote:Yes I claim it's false because all the accusations of abuse are wild hyperbole and exxagerated by a media that loves this kind of stuff.

I mean imagine a juicy little headline of "Greek Orthodox Priest at Greek Orthodox Private School arrested for child abuse".

Friggin juicy headline right there and there would be a lot of people in public salivating at such a profit, Orthodox too.

And dig deeper and you find that all the poor bugger did was hug a child. This is what is happening here.

No doubt there are some accusations which are serious and these get dealt with by law enforcement in the proper manner.

But for every legit complaint, there are dozens of made up complaints.


Except these are not the exaggerations of the media. These are the findings of a public enquiry. When you dig a bit deeper you find that four members of staff – an abbot, a monk and two teachers – have been convicted of sexual offences relating to 21 children. It was the INQUIRY not the media that stated the true scale of the abuse was likely to be “much higher”

you can not handle the truth. You live in denial. And yet again you sink to disgusting levels when you try and portray CONVICTED child sexual abusers as simple 'good people who simply hugged a child'. Abhorrent behaviour in my book that you just repeat over and over because YOU CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH.


The findings of an inquiry in this case but how many accusations have been dropped?

Cardinal Pell looks like he is about to successfully appeal his convictions because 1 out of 3 Federal Judges said that it was actually impossible that Cardinal Pell could have done what he was accused of doing after Mass. There is going to be an inquiry that the other 2 judges fixated on the testimonies of the alleged victims when in actual fact this is not enough for a conviction and it is also said that a lot of evidence that would have got cardinal Pell off was ignored completely.

I was talking about generally saying there is no systemic abuse in the Private Sector and the Private Sector has never been stronger. In fact it's getting bigger and stronger because parents like me rely on this system for the safe education of our children.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26183
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Paphitis » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:01 am

erolz66 wrote:
Paphitis wrote:case in point...


No the specific case in point in this last example was the findings of a public inquiry that followed the CONVICTION in COURTS OF LAW of FOUR serial child sex abusers in one particular school and the systematic attempts to cover such things up by the ABBOT who himself abused at least 10 children while in other senior roles at the school and abbey between 1972 and 1983.

None of this is made 'untrue' because there have also been false and exaggerated claims. YOU CAN NOT HANDLE THE TRUTH.


No it isn't!

That is just one specific case of 4 abusers.

never mind the millions of teachers and staff that have taught and worked in private schools and the millions of kids that went through this system that have never seen or experienced any abuse whatsoever.

All you are doing is scouring the net looking for accusations of abuse.

Well sorry, but the private sector has survived and the industry is alive and well and I love seeing these kids go to these schools in their beautiful uniforms. For me, these kids are disciplined and are going to be future leaders.

these schools do raise the educational bar quite substantially, and they teach our kids proper respect. The kids learn to respect the Nations institutions, and culture, they learn about Christmas and Easter, Australia Day and they also learn about About Australian History, and to respect all the service people that have served and those who have fallen. And in that sense, they learn the value of serving the community and helping people out too.

This is our last line of Defence against commies like Corbynated Chicken.

I for one am so grateful to the Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Orthodox and Presbetarian Schools teaching 1 million fine Australian kiddies every year. Nothing wrong with these kids having a solid foundation in life and knowing the net worth of the great Australian Family, and other Australian Institutions as well like the Australian Armed Forces.
Last edited by Paphitis on Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26183
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby erolz66 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:12 am

Paphitis wrote:I was talking about generally saying there is no systemic abuse in the Private Sector and the Private Sector has never been stronger. In fact it's getting bigger and stronger because parents like me rely on this system for the safe education of our children.


No you were NOT talking generally. In response to the article I posted about a public enquiry that itself followed the conviction - CONVICTION - of four former members of staff at a specific school you said 'This is completely false'. You said it was false. You said it in reference to this specific incident.

When it comes to 'systematic abuse' in such schools I think the findings of a public enquiry in the UK and the findings of the royal commission in Australia have vastly, immeasurably, more credibility than you do. Funny that no ?

You live in denial. You can not handle the truth. So you just claim it is not true. SO why do you not just fuck off out of my thread. I will take it as read that you will simply claim any and all evidence of sexual abuse in your precious schools , including convictions in courts of law, are all false because that is all you have. So please just fuck off now from this thread.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest