The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Is there poverty in the UK ?


Note: Your vote in this poll is NOT confidential. Your username will be displayed under the option(s) you select

Yes there is poverty in the UK. Poverty defined not just as relative to others but defined as someone having to struggle to provide basic necessities like food, shelter and warmth.
7
78%
 
erolz66, Kikapu, Lordo, miltiades, MR-from-NG, Pyrpolizer, Robin Hood
There is only relative poverty in the UK. No one in the UK has to struggle to provide basic necessities like food, shelter and warmth.
2
22%
 
cyprusgrump, Paphitis
There is no poverty in the UK of any kind
0
No votes
 
 
Total votes : 9

Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby erolz66 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:16 am

erolz66
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby cyprusgrump » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:31 am

Excellent! :D

Another subject that you can waste your life posting page after page that nobody reads about... :lol:
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7552
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby Londonrake » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:47 am

What does "relative to others" mean? Having spent time in the likes of India, Papau New Guinea, Belize the term's a bit nebulous. :?
Londonrake
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1811
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby erolz66 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:01 pm

cyprusgrump wrote:Excellent! :D

Another subject that you can waste your life posting page after page that nobody reads about... :lol:


Yeah how much better it would be if only I were to spend my life in the relentless pursuit of accumulating ever more things far beyond any actual need. A life well spent indeed.

As for nobody reading my posts, Londonrake the foremost 'TLDR'er still managed to notice my use of the term FFS and apparently without reading my posts ;)

I am curious CG, what number marriage are you on ?
erolz66
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby erolz66 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:03 pm

Londonrake wrote:What does "relative to others" mean? Having spent time in the likes of India, Papau New Guinea, Belize the term's a bit nebulous. :?


The term relative poverty is a term that applies within a given country and is most commonly defined as someone who's income is below 50% of the national average income.
erolz66
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby Paphitis » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:33 pm

Londonrake wrote:What does "relative to others" mean? Having spent time in the likes of India, Papau New Guinea, Belize the term's a bit nebulous. :?


Why not throw in the illegal "turkish republic of tnucland" for good measure?

you are damned if you do and damned if you don't and they want open borders.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25385
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby RichardB » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:40 pm

If you define poverty as person(s) struggling for food warmth and shelter then of course the answer would be yes. However this could be said of any country in the world.
I don't know where this thread is going or the relevance of it being posted on a Cyprus forum
Regards Richard (married once coming up to 42 years)
User avatar
RichardB
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3526
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: Blackpool/Lefkosia

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby cyprusgrump » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Londonrake wrote:What does "relative to others" mean? Having spent time in the likes of India, Papau New Guinea, Belize the term's a bit nebulous. :?



It is the term they use to make the number look bigger... :wink:

Households in relative poverty earn 60 per cent of the median earnings at the time, though the figures are adjusted according to how many people are in a household since their income needs will differ.


Clicky...

You don't need to think about it too much to realise that as society gets richer more people end up in 'poverty'... :roll:
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7552
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby cyprusgrump » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:45 pm

erolz66 wrote:
cyprusgrump wrote:Excellent! :D

Another subject that you can waste your life posting page after page that nobody reads about... :lol:


Yeah how much better it would be if only I were to spend my life in the relentless pursuit of accumulating ever more things far beyond any actual need. A life well spent indeed.

As for nobody reading my posts, Londonrake the foremost 'TLDR'er still managed to notice my use of the term FFS and apparently without reading my posts ;)

I am curious CG, what number marriage are you on ?



I always tell Mrs. CyprusGrump that she is my first wife to keep her on her toes! :lol:

As for spending my life 'in the relentless pursuit of accumulating ever more things far beyond any actual need.' you prove once again that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about... :roll:
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7552
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby erolz66 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:01 pm

RichardB wrote:If you define poverty as person(s) struggling for food warmth and shelter then of course the answer would be yes. However this could be said of any country in the world.
I don't know where this thread is going or the relevance of it being posted on a Cyprus forum
Regards Richard (married once coming up to 42 years)


The relevance of this poll is in the link in the OP where CG claimed "there is no 'poverty' [in UK] save for the ridiculous measure of 'Relative Poverty'..." As you have pointed out a ridiculous notion. My interest was in seeing how many other people here shared that ridiculous notion with CG. I will be putting you down as someone who does not.
erolz66
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Next

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests