The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Is there poverty in the UK ?


Note: Your vote in this poll is NOT confidential. Your username will be displayed under the option(s) you select

Yes there is poverty in the UK. Poverty defined not just as relative to others but defined as someone having to struggle to provide basic necessities like food, shelter and warmth.
7
78%
 
erolz66, Kikapu, Lordo, miltiades, MR-from-NG, Pyrpolizer, Robin Hood
There is only relative poverty in the UK. No one in the UK has to struggle to provide basic necessities like food, shelter and warmth.
2
22%
 
cyprusgrump, Paphitis
There is no poverty in the UK of any kind
0
No votes
 
 
Total votes : 9

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby Kikapu » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:00 am

I don’t think China wants to use hard power to get what they want, because their soft power is working very well.

Anyway, back to the topic on this thread.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 14289
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby Paphitis » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:40 am

Kikapu wrote:I don’t think China wants to use hard power to get what they want, because their soft power is working very well.

Anyway, back to the topic on this thread.


They are already using hard power ion the South China Sea.

It's like Turkey coming along and claiming the entire Aegean or Southern portion of the Cyprus EEZ with its military might. there is nothing soft about that.

Secondly, the hard power as in military engagements will eventually come. The only thing holding them back is the US and perhaps a few others like Japan, Australia (economic leverage) and so on. the main deterrent being the USA by a mile. But they are definitely closing in.

And the last thing this planet needs is an imperial China.

If for argument sake there was no US, then you can absolutely watch out.

I can't not imagine you Kikapu, supporting the reduction of US power and spending in light of what is going on. Who is going to stand in China's way if not the USA? The EU???
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25385
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby Kikapu » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:16 pm

Paphitis wrote:
Kikapu wrote:I don’t think China wants to use hard power to get what they want, because their soft power is working very well.

Anyway, back to the topic on this thread.




I can't not imagine you Kikapu, supporting the reduction of US power and spending in light of what is going on. Who is going to stand in China's way if not the USA? The EU???

The US does not need to reduce the power that we already have, just not keep increasing it. If couple of thousand nuclear weapons are not enough, than what is? Wasted money just sitting in silos when thousands are sleeping on the streets of San Francisco and all over the country. Many are ex military who are damaged from wars that their country forgot them. No, we need to take care of these homeless instead of adding more nuclear weapons to our arsenals, weapons that will never be used......again.

Last time I was in London few months ago, the homelessness is also getting bad there, people sleeping in underpasses for pedestrians. So yes, there is poverty in the UK also, but who cares, right? After all, the majority of people in all these developed nations are doing alright for themselves so why help the needy. The country does not need the needy as they are just sponging of the rest of us, right...fuckers!
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 14289
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby repulsewarrior » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:41 pm

...indeed, it is not the weapons in your possession that is the measure of strength per se, it is the capacity to build them quickly, and in quantity; so said George Bush when director of the CIA, and he is in my opinion quite correct.

...Iraq, Baghdad, the world, would have been a different place if, with the ''shock and awe'', Americans had been prepared to save the Museum in Baghdad. History will judge them badly, what with what Humanity lost.

...indeed, there will always be the poor among us, so says the Bible in the words of Jesus Christ. In everything there is balance. If there are poor who suffer, in such a society, there must be those with what is too much, such is the inescapable logic of the binomial curve.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 8734
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby Lordo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:10 pm

repulsewarrior wrote:...indeed, it is not the weapons in your possession that is the measure of strength per se, it is the capacity to build them quickly, and in quantity; so said George Bush when director of the CIA, and he is in my opinion quite correct.

...Iraq, Baghdad, the world, would have been a different place if, with the ''shock and awe'', Americans had been prepared to save the Museum in Baghdad. History will judge them badly, what with what Humanity lost.

...indeed, there will always be the poor among us, so says the Bible in the words of Jesus Christ. In everything there is balance. If there are poor who suffer, in such a society, there must be those with what is too much, such is the inescapable logic of the binomial curve.


that was applicable in 100s when they moved from manually loading muskets to autimatically loading rifles. once you have built them there is no need to rebuild anymore. if anything it is blooming difficult to bloomin get rid of the buggers once built.

the americans were too busy taking the petroleum industry building to find out where all the petrol was stored to worry about museums or life or anything else. they did not even care what happened to the arms dumps which ended up in the now freee iraqi army soldiers without any control.

when it comes to jesus, if he dared come back now, he would be declared a terrorist and shot.
User avatar
Lordo
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 14137
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: softalar, banana republic

Re: Poll - is there poverty in the UK

Postby Paphitis » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:43 am

Kikapu wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Kikapu wrote:I don’t think China wants to use hard power to get what they want, because their soft power is working very well.

Anyway, back to the topic on this thread.




I can't not imagine you Kikapu, supporting the reduction of US power and spending in light of what is going on. Who is going to stand in China's way if not the USA? The EU???

The US does not need to reduce the power that we already have, just not keep increasing it. If couple of thousand nuclear weapons are not enough, than what is? Wasted money just sitting in silos when thousands are sleeping on the streets of San Francisco and all over the country. Many are ex military who are damaged from wars that their country forgot them. No, we need to take care of these homeless instead of adding more nuclear weapons to our arsenals, weapons that will never be used......again.

Last time I was in London few months ago, the homelessness is also getting bad there, people sleeping in underpasses for pedestrians. So yes, there is poverty in the UK also, but who cares, right? After all, the majority of people in all these developed nations are doing alright for themselves so why help the needy. The country does not need the needy as they are just sponging of the rest of us, right...fuckers!


They need to ensure they have 10 Battle Groups Kikapu.

That's 10 Aircraft Carriers and all the escorting Cruiser, Destroyers, Corvettes, and Supply and replenishment Ships.

Aside from that, they need to maintain the 10 Wasp Class (also Aircraft carriers but also double as Heavy Transport and Troop Ships).

Their Aircraft carriers (10 of them) plus Wasps and the Battle Groups are what project a tremendous amount of power. China for now, is scared of this power and it keeps them kind of in check for the time being.

As for increasing, they are upgrading their Nuclear Submarine Fleet, with very quiet and stealthy vessels which are able to release more than 384 Nuclear warheads each and stay under the waves for up to 6 months. The only reason they need to surface is because they run out of food and fatigue issues with the crew.

They need to ensure they stay ahead of the game and we all rely on that whether we like to admit it or not. The EU relies on it. NATO relies on it. The Asia Pacific and Asia also rely on it.

The Americans have a lot of friends and allies and we have been taking the piss out of them for a long time. All America expects is everyone maintain their 2% and it is a fair ask.

When you say increase spending, America hasn't really increased spending in real terms. Over the decades its actually reduced. The lowest it got was under Obama. Trump increased it but it is still not anywhere near what it was in the 80s and 90s. They are hovering around the 4% mark.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25385
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Previous

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests