The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


How to protect against Orwellian State Authoritarianism

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: How to protect against Orwellian State Authoritarianism

Postby erolz66 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Paphitis wrote:Widespread is it? mmmm

But having said that, seeing your face would make me want to hit you. I just don't know what it is. I just seem to have that urge.

Do you think the British Police might get that urge when they see your ugly mug as well? You just look dodgy if you know what I mean.


less than a month ago you posted this Paphitis

I again repeat. You do yourself no favours. usually, when people don't have an argument (because they are trolls), they then resort to insults.


cyprus47300-230.html#p894664

mmmmm
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: How to protect against Orwellian State Authoritarianism

Postby Paphitis » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:15 pm

erolz66 wrote:
Paphitis wrote:Widespread is it? mmmm

But having said that, seeing your face would make me want to hit you. I just don't know what it is. I just seem to have that urge.

Do you think the British Police might get that urge when they see your ugly mug as well? You just look dodgy if you know what I mean.


less than a month ago you posted this Paphitis

I again repeat. You do yourself no favours. usually, when people don't have an argument (because they are trolls), they then resort to insults.


cyprus47300-230.html#p894664

mmmmm


I can't help the way I feel mate. You just have that look that triggers something. I can't explain it.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 29853
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: How to protect against Orwellian State Authoritarianism

Postby erolz66 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:31 pm

Paphitis wrote:I can't help the way I feel mate. You just have that look that triggers something. I can't explain it.


Doubt 'looks' has much to do with it. People often respond to being challenge over their beliefs with anger.

Some highly edited excerpts from the most excellent book "The Consolations of Philosophy" by Alain de Botton from the section on Socrates (which luckily I already had to hand in electronic format and forum post format)

Every society has notions of what one should believe and how one should behave in order to avoid suspicion and unpopularity. Some of these societal conventions are given explicit formulation in a legal code, others are more intuitively held as a vast body of ethical and practical judgements described as 'common sense', ... To start questioning these conventions would seem bizarre, even aggressive


They [contemporaries of Socrates] would have been confounded and angered to be asked exactly why they sacrificed cocks to Asclepius or why men needed to kill to be virtuous.It would have appeared as obtuse as wondering why spring followed winter or why ice was cold.


But it is not only the hostility of others that may prevent us from questioning the status quo. Our will to doubt can be just as powerfully sapped by an internal sense that societal conventions must have a sound basis, even if we are not sure exactly what this may be, because they have been adhered to by a great many people for a long time. We stifle our doubts and follow the flock because we cannot conceive of ourselves as pioneers of hitherto unknown, difficult truths.


Socrates spent much time out of the house, conversing with friends in the public places of Athens [forums]. But his most curious feature was a habit of approaching Athenians of every class, age and occupation and bluntly asking them, without worrying whether they would think him eccentric or infuriating, to explain with precision why they held certain common-sense beliefs


If we refrain from questioning the status quo, it is primarily because we associate what is popular with what is right. Socrates raised a plethora of questions to determine whether what was popular happened to make any sense. Many found the questions maddening. Some teased him. A few would kill him.


And NO I am not comparing myself with Socrates, in terms of intellect or anything else. Just offering a rational possible explanation for your apparent expressed 'hatred' or 'dislike' of me that to me is more conniving than 'how I look'.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: How to protect against Orwellian State Authoritarianism

Postby repulsewarrior » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:06 pm



...just throwing this in here, as my comment; talking about Orwellian State Authorities.

Relevant in Cyprus's affairs with what it, and its neighbours, have in Turkey, too.

...the only way to defend against "them" is to oppose them, to expose their existence; that by the force of words or acts, to represent a notion opposite at least equal.

...relevant thinking, such as the Principals on which UNCLOS was made, in denying them is simply Ignorant. Plunder is the word that comes to mind; who dares?

...and in such a day and age, who dares to say good government is not needed, as Humans (and one as Humanity)?

...what is good governance? Questioning authority, (and balance,) is needed.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 11040
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: How to protect against Orwellian State Authoritarianism

Postby erolz66 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:30 pm

Action almost always achieves more than just words

There can be next to no progress without effort.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: How to protect against Orwellian State Authoritarianism

Postby erolz66 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:25 am

erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: How to protect against Orwellian State Authoritarianism

Postby Kikapu » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:13 am

Yes, police is just a another criminal gangs with badges and guns supported by taxpayers in what is supposed to be a trusted institute. The fact that many cops will not report another fellow officer committing any wrongdoings to their superiors, just proves that the whole police institution is corrupt to it’s core.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 16808
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: How to protect against Orwellian State Authoritarianism

Postby Paphitis » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:15 pm

Kikapu wrote:Yes, police is just a another criminal gangs with badges and guns supported by taxpayers in what is supposed to be a trusted institute. The fact that many cops will not report another fellow officer committing any wrongdoings to their superiors, just proves that the whole police institution is corrupt to it’s core.


they do report on other cops especially if it has anything to do with matters of integrity.

No one likes an arsehole and cops are no different. So if cop A does something not by the book, Cop B has plenty of opportunity to report the incident and also may well be compelled to do so to keep their job especially with all the cameras they are wearing these days on their glasses and inside their cars. Everything is recorded from every traffic stop.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 29853
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: How to protect against Orwellian State Authoritarianism

Postby Oceanside50 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:20 pm

After this , people will be at least social distancing for a long time.. the trade off will be more technologies being unleashed to us. For instance voice recognition. Think about never having to type againZ. 5G will make all internet connections ten times faster.. precise gps to guide our automated cars with that faster 5G internet. Go back to 9-11 and measure the technology pop afterwards. Who of you hold cash in your pockets and compare that from 9-11 to now society has become practically cash less.. digital currencies are coming into play.. a one world currency.... bill gates and the world bank trying to develop Africa ... ahh you say evil doers.. Illuminati the rothchilds.. evil evil.. how can you say they’re evil when toilets and fresh water in some parts of Africa are non existent .. developing Africa has become a priority .. how can the west and the rest of the world develop to such a high degree and then have parts of Africa with no toilets or fresh water.. no vaccines for their kids when they are born.. imagine an African walking around with a mutated small pox virus, in your town or city in your western country.. another pandemic? But of course we listen to conspiracy theorist and believe them over science and critical thinking... the new world order is here to stay people.. we have no choice..... Πας μην Έλλην βάρβαρος
Last edited by Oceanside50 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oceanside50
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: How to protect against Orwellian State Authoritarianism

Postby erolz66 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:27 pm

Paphitis wrote: Everything is recorded from every traffic stop.


Another common fallacy, in the UK and I would not be at all surprised if that is case in Australia or Australian states as well.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/bluetoot ... ice-530572

As of July 2019, NSW Police has amounted 5217 body-worn video cameras – or approximately one for every three of the 16,000 sworn police officers across the state.

But the existing cameras rely on officers manually beginning recording during interactions with the public, which has raised accountability concerns.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests