The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Beirut explosion .......

Feel free to talk about anything that you want.

Re: Beirut explosion .......

Postby erolz66 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:33 pm

Paphitis wrote:I’m amazed you all heard it from over 200 kms away.

When you guys heard it, they explosion would have already happened 9 minutes prior.

Wasn’t it already in the news before you heard it?


The assumption that the shock wave from an explosive blast travels at the speed of sound is incorrect. They can and do travel super sonic speeds. Start with an incorrect premise and you will end up with an incorrect conclusion.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Beirut explosion .......

Postby Get Real! » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:00 pm

erolz66 wrote:
Paphitis wrote:I’m amazed you all heard it from over 200 kms away.

When you guys heard it, they explosion would have already happened 9 minutes prior.

Wasn’t it already in the news before you heard it?

The assumption that the shock wave from an explosive blast travels at the speed of sound is incorrect. They can and do travel super sonic speeds. Start with an incorrect premise and you will end up with an incorrect conclusion.

More like hypersonic for detonation waves… probably Mach 10+
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 42682
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: Beirut explosion .......

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:18 pm

Get Real :
How long after you heard the bang did you post this thread?

Maybe 15 minutes, as we went outside first to look for evidence like smoke, which of course we didn't see as the origin was 200km away although we didn't know that at the time. The PC was on at the time and I went back sat down and carried on with what ever it was I was doing at the time.

So when the explanations started coming through on the TV News, which is also on most of the time, as breaking news it explained what we had experienced and I thought it something worth posting ........ to see if anyone else heard/felt it! And I was not alone! :wink:
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Beirut explosion .......

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:35 pm

Paphitis:
I’m amazed you all heard it from over 200 kms away.

When you guys heard it, they explosion would have already happened 9 minutes prior.

Wasn’t it already in the news before you heard it?

Erolz66:
The assumption that the shock wave from an explosive blast travels at the speed of sound is incorrect. They can and do travel super sonic speeds. Start with an incorrect premise and you will end up with an incorrect conclusion.


You can't argue with Paphitis because he never uses MSM only reliable sources like TWEETS from TWATS on TWITTER ..... but only TWEETS from reliable TWIT's. :lol:

He got this TWEET from a TWAT called TWUMP who posted on TWITTER an opinion that it was an ATTACK ........ and he got that straight from the best Generals in the World! The Generals instantly TWEETED on TWITTER that the the TWAT called TWUMP had got it all TWISTED and the story was a load of TWIPE!

Knowing what high regard Paphitis holds POOTIN in ..... I am surprised he has not accused the Russians of being behind it! :wink: :lol: :lol:
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Beirut explosion .......

Postby Londonrake » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:24 pm

Self explanatory.

61352F4F-0701-485C-987E-95D477187B84.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Londonrake
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2443
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Beirut explosion .......

Postby Kikapu » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:34 pm

I wonder how many thousands of people who had survived the blast but ended with permanent hearing damage?
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 15215
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: Beirut explosion .......

Postby Cap » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:46 pm

Cyprus sends in rescue team
Choppers and dogs.


https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/08/05/repa ... 4uKzqUA8RY


Image

Image
User avatar
Cap
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7205
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Cypriot Empire

Re: Beirut explosion .......

Postby Londonrake » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:13 pm

Robin Hood wrote:Knowing what high regard Paphitis holds POOTIN in ..... I am surprised he has not accused the Russians of being behind it! :wink: :lol: :lol:


Whilst blame for yesterday's catastrophe isn't a related issue, oddly enough there is a Russian connection.

A ship called Rhosus, owned by a Russian, Mr Igor Grechushkinof, became stranded in Beirut during October 2013 when he declared bankruptcy. The ship's cargo was the ammonium nitrate, bound for Mozambique, which was the cause of the explosion. Mr Grechushkinof it seems washed his hands of the vessel and walked. Ironically, he now lives here in Cyprus, where he's the manager of a shipping company.

What seems to have happened is that a welder, working to improve the security of the adjacent building, started a fire in an area where fireworks were stored. Ammonium nitrate degrades over time and in heat and becomes very volatile, especially in it's pure form (nowadays another chemical has by international law to be added to improve safety). So, the exploding fireworks ignited what amounted to a giant bomb. The fire crew which turned up to the initial incident were vaporised in the explosion.

It all sounds remarkably similar to the Mari incident (with echoes perhaps of Chernobyl) and in the same vein blame must surely rest with those who not only decided to store the dangerous chemicals there but then simply to forget about them.
Last edited by Londonrake on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Londonrake
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2443
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Beirut explosion .......

Postby Londonrake » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Kikapu wrote:I wonder how many thousands of people who had survived the blast but ended with permanent hearing damage?


Current reports are saying that 300,000 have been made homeless.
Londonrake
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2443
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Beirut explosion .......

Postby Robin Hood » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:51 pm

Londonrake wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:Knowing what high regard Paphitis holds POOTIN in ..... I am surprised he has not accused the Russians of being behind it! :wink: :lol: :lol:


Whilst blame for yesterday's catastrophe isn't a related issue, oddly enough there is a Russian connection.

A ship called Rhosus, owned by a Russian, Mr Igor Grechushkinof, became stranded in Beirut during October 2013 when he declared bankruptcy. The ship's cargo was the ammonium nitrate, bound for Mozambique, which was the cause of the explosion. Mr Grechushkinof it seems washed his hands of the vessel and walked. Ironically, he now lives here in Cyprus, where he's the manager of a shipping company.

What seems to have happened is that a welder, working to improve the security of the adjacent building, started a fire in an area where fireworks were stored. Ammonium nitrate degrades over time and in heat and becomes very volatile, especially in it's pure form (nowadays another chemical has by international law to be added to improve safety). So, the exploding fireworks ignited what amounted to a giant bomb. The fire crew which turned up to the initial incident were vaporised in the explosion.

It all sounds remarkably similar to the Mari incident (with echoes perhaps of Chernobyl) and in the same vein blame must surely rest with those who not only decided to store the dangerous chemicals there but then simply to forget about them.


I didn't know that! Was he related to Putin? But you are right about the blame game. The Lebanese President says he is going to punish those responsible ........... well at least some poor bastard at the bottom end of the chain of command. Just like the Christophias investigation on the Mari incident was used to get him off the hook and blame others. The Presidents party has been in power for years, it was bought up many times about the dangers and his government did nothing about it. As you say 'MARI' all over again! :x
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests