The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


POLITICAL EQUALITY IS CRUCIAL FOR TURKISH CYPRIOTS

How can we solve it? (keep it civilized)

Postby Kifeas » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:43 pm

umit07 wrote:Over here there has been NO formal anouncement about who are on the commitees, all we know is that they are all from CTP ranks.


CTP ranks??? Nearly half of them are from Turkey!
User avatar
Kifeas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 am
Location: Lapithos, Kyrenia, now Pafos; Cyprus.

Postby umit07 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:46 pm

Kifeas on the presidential thing , I would say they are wrong if what you say is correct. But I would need more info on it, they might of rejected some otther term to do with it. How are things on the committees on a general note then is it as bad as Mr X is saying? We don't get any ınfo on what is going on behind closed doors.
User avatar
umit07
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2075
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Postby umit07 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:51 pm

Kifeas wrote:
umit07 wrote:Over here there has been NO formal anouncement about who are on the commitees, all we know is that they are all from CTP ranks.


CTP ranks??? Nearly half of them are from Turkey!


If that was true Kıfeas and word got out on the list , Talat would be f***ed ! Why don't GC's accidently leak out the list then, it would bring quite a bit of caos to the north.
User avatar
umit07
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2075
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Postby Kifeas » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:58 pm

umit07 wrote:Kifeas on the presidential thing , I would say they are wrong if what you say is correct. But I would need more info on it, they might of rejected some otther term to do with it. How are things on the committees on a general note then is it as bad as Mr X is saying? We don't get any ınfo on what is going on behind closed doors.


They seem to agree on all the easy and obvious issues, but there is a chaos on all the difficult issues! The TC side is demanding illogical and illegitimate things! On the property issue for example, the TC side's demands -should they become accepted, will renter the TC community as the owners of 24% of all private land of Cyprus, area-wise, and 35% of it value-wise!
User avatar
Kifeas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 am
Location: Lapithos, Kyrenia, now Pafos; Cyprus.

Postby Kifeas » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:02 pm

umit07 wrote:
Kifeas wrote:
umit07 wrote:Over here there has been NO formal anouncement about who are on the commitees, all we know is that they are all from CTP ranks.


CTP ranks??? Nearly half of them are from Turkey!


If that was true Kıfeas and word got out on the list , Talat would be f***ed ! Why don't GC's accidently leak out the list then, it would bring quite a bit of caos to the north.


Umit, the list of the TC side's committee members was on the GC press, since last March! It is not a secret who they are! They even appeared on TV several times!
User avatar
Kifeas
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4927
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:19 am
Location: Lapithos, Kyrenia, now Pafos; Cyprus.

Postby umit07 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:07 pm

Over here Kifeas they never gave out a full list only a few names were pronounced. Can you give us a full list with details about who they are ?
User avatar
umit07
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 2075
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Postby Magnus » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:19 pm

roseandchan wrote:bill what i was getting at was that both sides are such an ethnic mix now that i don't rearly see where the problem is. whats done is done. i hear what your saying but being thrown out of your home is not good for anyone, all cypriots should know better than anyone. the turkish people on this side get a hard time from the cypriots all of the time. most of my friends in the village want them to go back to turkey. where are they supposed to go back to? many have lived here for many years, and generation of turkish families are here. most work very hard. sending them back would be like ethnic cleansing, how can anyone think thats ok?


Perhaps the reason you don't see the problem is because it's not your problem. You would soon think differently if you and all your friends, family and neighbours suddenly had to go running for your life and leave everything you own behind. Not to mention all those that might be killed, raped, tortured or just disappear. No matter how much time passed, you wouldn't just forget about it, especially if you lost people you loved. Ask anyone in the world who has ever been through something like that and they'll tell you the same thing.

As far as you're concerned, you've got a nice home in a lovely part of the world with good neighbours. You don't even think of the 'TRNC' as illegal. When you left the UK you might have sold your home and moved out in your own time to build your new life. The people who lost their homes (and lives) in 1974 didn't get that luxury.

Similarly, you might have left the UK because you were unhappy about the increasing number of immigrants coming to live here, most of whom are legally entitled to do so. Now imagine they arrived, kicked you out and set up home at your expense. See the difference?

Even if you take the emotion out of it, the simple fact is that the people you call 'settlers' are living in an illegal regime on land and property that was taken through invasion. No matter how long they live there it makes no difference, it doesn't become any less stolen.

Asking them to leave is nothing like ethnic cleansing. They won't be running for their lives and may even get a payout to go away. As for where they might go then perhaps they might try going back to Turkey or one of the many other countries that the GCs who fled in 1974 went to. England might be a good choice.

I don't blame you for supporting the people you know and i'm not trying to criticise you. I'm just trying to get you to imagine what people went through and the feelings they have so you can understand what the problem is. It's not because those people are Turks. It wouldn't matter if they were Martians. It's because they're invaders and they're living in homes that aren't theirs.
User avatar
Magnus
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Me tous paranomous kai tous adikimenous

Postby Oracle » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:21 pm

umit07 wrote:Over here Kifeas they never gave out a full list only a few names were pronounced. Can you give us a full list with details about who they are ?


Experiencing restrictions in access to information little prisoner? :lol:
User avatar
Oracle
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 23507
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:13 am
Location: Anywhere but...

Postby RichardB » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:23 pm

Magnus wrote:
roseandchan wrote:bill what i was getting at was that both sides are such an ethnic mix now that i don't rearly see where the problem is. whats done is done. i hear what your saying but being thrown out of your home is not good for anyone, all cypriots should know better than anyone. the turkish people on this side get a hard time from the cypriots all of the time. most of my friends in the village want them to go back to turkey. where are they supposed to go back to? many have lived here for many years, and generation of turkish families are here. most work very hard. sending them back would be like ethnic cleansing, how can anyone think thats ok?


Perhaps the reason you don't see the problem is because it's not your problem. You would soon think differently if you and all your friends, family and neighbours suddenly had to go running for your life and leave everything you own behind. Not to mention all those that might be killed, raped, tortured or just disappear. No matter how much time passed, you wouldn't just forget about it, especially if you lost people you loved. Ask anyone in the world who has ever been through something like that and they'll tell you the same thing.

As far as you're concerned, you've got a nice home in a lovely part of the world with good neighbours. You don't even think of the 'TRNC' as illegal. When you left the UK you might have sold your home and moved out in your own time to build your new life. The people who lost their homes (and lives) in 1974 didn't get that luxury.

Similarly, you might have left the UK because you were unhappy about the increasing number of immigrants coming to live here, most of whom are legally entitled to do so. Now imagine they arrived, kicked you out and set up home at your expense. See the difference?

Even if you take the emotion out of it, the simple fact is that the people you call 'settlers' are living in an illegal regime on land and property that was taken through invasion. No matter how long they live there it makes no difference, it doesn't become any less stolen.

Asking them to leave is nothing like ethnic cleansing. They won't be running for their lives and may even get a payout to go away. As for where they might go then perhaps they might try going back to Turkey or one of the many other countries that the GCs who fled in 1974 went to. England might be a good choice.

I don't blame you for supporting the people you know and i'm not trying to criticise you. I'm just trying to get you to imagine what people went through and the feelings they have so you can understand what the problem is. It's not because those people are Turks. It wouldn't matter if they were Martians. It's because they're invaders and they're living in homes that aren't theirs.


Magnus

one of the best postings I've ever seen on the forum in the last couple of years

Thankyou
User avatar
RichardB
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3628
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: Blackpool/Lefkosia

Postby humanist » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:23 pm

Hey Kifeas, am warming up to your signature. I agree partition 82:18 clear split is better that Turkish re-unification under a BBF. Here here to freedom of our land ;)
User avatar
humanist
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6585
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:46 am

PreviousNext

Return to Cyprus Problem

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests