The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The impending war against Iran thread

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: The impending war against Iran thread

Postby Paphitis » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Kikapu wrote:Surely the pilot in command, the captain has more than 1500 hours and is well certified to fly the equipment he/she is assigned to do so. The lack of first officers flight time and experience not being adequate but still allowed to occupy the right seat adds credibility that we have already unofficially moved to one pilot flights. The inexperienced second pilot is just a “window dressing” for the flying public.

On another related story that was in the news very recently where an Airbus 350 had a successful fully automated take off, however, there were still two pilots in the cockpit but were completely hands off once they had taxied the aircraft and aligned it to the center line on the runway. From then on, the aircraft did what it needed to do to airborne by automation only.

Single piloting will become official sooner rather than later, because of pilot shortages, as well as being cheaper for the airlines. This will become the precursor to the eventual of no pilot, but a very skilled technical person on board just to monitor the flight’s computers in about 20-30 years.


Yes the PIC should have way more than 1500 hours. 1500 hours not enough to become Captain but some airlines are upgrading pilots to the left seat with such low time.

Most reputable companies that employ low time pilots (nearly all airlines employ low time pilots these days) have what is called a NO GREEN ON GREEN pilot rostering procedure meaning that low time pilots are to only be rostered on with supervisory captains.

But in the case of Ethiopian and Lion Air, both pilots were inexperienced and poorly trained. From memory, the Captain of Ethiopian wasn't what I would call experienced.

In the old days, it would take 10 to 15 years and some 7000 to 15000 hours of flying to get upgraded. Still is the case at Emirates, QANTAS and Cathay.

Now, I am sorry but I would feel very uncomfortable with an automated take off. Many companies will forbid that. Pilots must have hands on the controls and throttles at all times.

Our company even forbids automated instrument approaches. To rely on all the technology is just unprofessional, lazy and asking for trouble. I would caution against such complacency. One failure, and everyone onboard can kiss their lives good bye. You only have a split second to respond. that is how finite the window of opportunity is. Hence why we do a dozen V1 cuts in the sim.

Single pilot will never be allowed in our lifetimes. Not for Regular Public Transport anyway. It is already forbidden under the regulations in all countries and signatories of ICAO and there is buckley's chance that law will be withdrawn anytime soon. It won't happen.

Regulators and Governments around the world are against it.

It might be allowed in the Airwork Freight category but not for passenger services. Boeing know this as well with their impending B797.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25684
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The impending war against Iran thread

Postby Kikapu » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:46 pm

I should add that the Airbus 350 automated take off was an experiment without passengers.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 14442
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: The impending war against Iran thread

Postby Paphitis » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Kikapu wrote:I should add that the Airbus 350 automated take off was an experiment without passengers.


I'm glad to hear it. I would be disgusted if that wasn't the case.

Also, the pilots should be test pilots with approvals from the regulator. there are too many tings that can go pear shaped.

Also just to be clear, all low time pilots need to get their ATPL before getting a command upgrade. So if they don't pass their ATPL, there is no command for them ever. Don't need an ATPL to be an FO in most companies, although most require passes in all ATPL subjects prior to employment.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25684
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The impending war against Iran thread

Postby Kikapu » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:10 pm

User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 14442
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: The impending war against Iran thread

Postby Paphitis » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:26 pm

Londonrake wrote:
Kikapu wrote:Hi LR,

Are you there yet? :wink: :D :lol:


Yes, we made it! My first look at Aus Perth. I have to say at first impressions it seems a fantastic place.

I don’t know what their normal Heathrow to Singapore flight path is but our SIng Airlines A380 didn’t go anywhere near Iran. :shock:

I got fed up with the WiFi and watched all 5 episodes of “Chernobyl”. A very good mini-series depicting the actual events. Amazing contrast, between many, who knowingly went to a terrible death in order to save thousands of their people and country, with those who only looked to apportion blame and basically cover their arses. I can highly recommend it.

Paphitis. Would you believe it, I left my phone on one of the SA flights. A Samsung Galaxy. It’s out there somewhere, wandering the skies. A bit like you.


Have you tried contacting the airline?

Usually it would be one of the Flight Attendants or cleaners who would have found your phone, and they would usually leave it with Ground Operations who wold have tagged it with the flight number and even seat. They might have it in lost property.

It's worth a try. they may post it to Cyprus for you or wherever you like.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25684
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The impending war against Iran thread

Postby Robin Hood » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:03 pm

Cyprusgrump:
Lets face it Robin, you can't prove jack shit... You can just post links to fellow conspiracy twonks...

But I CAN prove my claim ........ and still comply with the evidence and all of Newton’s Three Laws of Motion which the official conspiracy theory cannot!

In my case those ‘twonks’ are literally thousands of professionals! Architects, civil/structural engineers, demolition experts, pilots, ATC, fire fighters etc. and even relatives of the 3000 that died. They all want the same thing ...... an independent and open public enquiry! Do you not think that if the ‘official conspiracy theory’ was the truth those that promote it, people like you, would WANT an enquiry to prove it and show that dumb asses like me are wrong? Instead, those that have the power to set up such an enquiry have done everything to avoid it for eighteen years!

BTW: If you apply Occams razor to 9/11: When shown the collapse of any of the WTC buildings ...... what do most people see when asked? A controlled demolition, just like they see on TV! Because that is by far the simplest explanation looking at the video evidence. So a conspiracy theory was created to change people’s minds........ but as your final sentence says ........ “That is all the proof I need mate” ........ that’s it in a nutshell .... you don’t need proof! In other words you put absolute faith in what you are told by those you believe only tell the truth, no matter how impossible their claims? Some of us are less gullible than that.
If you could the world would be beating a path to your door, but they aren't. Your posting your ridiculous loony conspiracy shite on an obscure Cyprus forum that only half a dozen people read...

But why would I bother to discuss it on here? No one is interested, there are other forums and I have been on a couple dedicated to just 9/11 for over 15 years! I believe it was YOU that brought the subject of 9/11 up ...... being a smart arse again? (Jan 15th , Page 40, 11:31 am.)
That is all the proof I need mate...

The problem you will have with me is that I do not suffer fools gladly, especially fools who think they are smart asses with all the answers but prove clearly they are not smart at all as the only response they ever present is one-line put-downs. If I am asked a serious question I will answer it ..... with an proper explanation, not just a one-liner! But on a forum like this, discussion of events surrounding 9/11 is like trying to discuss quantum physics with a five year old!
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: The impending war against Iran thread

Postby cyprusgrump » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:00 pm

Robin Hood wrote:Cyprusgrump:
Lets face it Robin, you can't prove jack shit... You can just post links to fellow conspiracy twonks...

But I CAN prove my claim ........ and still comply with the evidence and all of Newton’s Three Laws of Motion which the official conspiracy theory cannot!

In my case those ‘twonks’ are literally thousands of professionals! Architects, civil/structural engineers, demolition experts, pilots, ATC, fire fighters etc. and even relatives of the 3000 that died. They all want the same thing ...... an independent and open public enquiry! Do you not think that if the ‘official conspiracy theory’ was the truth those that promote it, people like you, would WANT an enquiry to prove it and show that dumb asses like me are wrong? Instead, those that have the power to set up such an enquiry have done everything to avoid it for eighteen years!

BTW: If you apply Occams razor to 9/11: When shown the collapse of any of the WTC buildings ...... what do most people see when asked? A controlled demolition, just like they see on TV! Because that is by far the simplest explanation looking at the video evidence. So a conspiracy theory was created to change people’s minds........ but as your final sentence says ........ “That is all the proof I need mate” ........ that’s it in a nutshell .... you don’t need proof! In other words you put absolute faith in what you are told by those you believe only tell the truth, no matter how impossible their claims? Some of us are less gullible than that.
If you could the world would be beating a path to your door, but they aren't. Your posting your ridiculous loony conspiracy shite on an obscure Cyprus forum that only half a dozen people read...

But why would I bother to discuss it on here? No one is interested, there are other forums and I have been on a couple dedicated to just 9/11 for over 15 years! I believe it was YOU that brought the subject of 9/11 up ...... being a smart arse again? (Jan 15th , Page 40, 11:31 am.)
That is all the proof I need mate...

The problem you will have with me is that I do not suffer fools gladly, especially fools who think they are smart asses with all the answers but prove clearly they are not smart at all as the only response they ever present is one-line put-downs. If I am asked a serious question I will answer it ..... with an proper explanation, not just a one-liner! But on a forum like this, discussion of events surrounding 9/11 is like trying to discuss quantum physics with a five year old!



Your lack of self-awareness is virtually pathological. :lol:

You claim to be the fount of all knowledge, and anybody that disagrees with you is stupid.

Of course you have been on a 9/11 forum for 15 years, I can imagine what a conspiracy theorist echo chamber it is! Along with the other web sites that you use as ‘evidence’ obviously... :roll:

Of course you know stuff we don’t know, can’t know or can’t understand. You are obviously of a far superior intellect than we mere mortals!

But where is your platform? Where is your website? Where are people queuing up to get ‘the truth’ from the messiah…?

They don’t exist do they…? :wink:

You are reduced to posting on an obscure Cyprus forum with half a dozen active members – most of who don’t agree with a word you post. :lol:

Your unearned sense of moral superiority just does not cut it with the posters any more, if it ever did…

Embarrassing…
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7725
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Re: The impending war against Iran thread

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:54 am

You are welcome to your opinion as that is all it is! I asked you to look at two videos and give an opinion but clearly that was beyond your capabilities ..... presumably you couldn’t work it out! :roll:

Cyprus grump:
Your lack of self-awareness is virtually pathological.

There is absolutely nothing mentally lacking about me and I am well aware of why I get up your nose!
You claim to be the fount of all knowledge, and anybody that disagrees with you is stupid.

No ..... I limit myself to things I understand and/or have knowledge of! Unlike some people.
Of course you have been on a 9/11 forum for 15 years, I can imagine what a conspiracy theorist echo chamber it is! Along with the other web sites that you use as ‘evidence’ obviously...

As you have said, you don't need evidence! But, what you are saying is that you believe that YOU are far more knowledgeable than people, the majority of them professionals, who are qualified in their subjects? Is that not rather conceited of you considering you regard anything, no matter what the evidence says, as a ‘conspiracy theory’ even though you have never bothered to follow any of the contrary explanations to form your opinion?

This is a forum dedicated to just 9/11 with comments from those that explain and those that just ridicule. Quite extensive and interesting to read various comments.

http://www.politicalforum.com/index.php?forums/9-11.64/

..... or one of the more popular ‘Truth’ sites;

https://www.ae911truth.org/

https://www.ae911truth.org/evidence/near-free-fall-acceleration ...... even NIST knows what free-fall acceleration is but just ignore the implications of their own public statements.
Of course you know stuff we don’t know, can’t know or can’t understand. You are obviously of a far superior intellect than we mere mortals!

No .... you are just being theatrically stupid! Of course I know things you don’t know! If you never read the other side of a story that is presented to you without any supporting evidence and accept what you have been told without ever questioning it, but I do, then I will have more knowledge on that subject than you. That is why I never comment on The Cyprus Problem or football ..... because I know next to nothing about either.
But where is your platform? Where is your website? Where are people queuing up to get ‘the truth’ from the messiah…?

I don’t need a platform as there are plenty of them out there already.
They don’t exist do they…?

Of course they do! Just because you have never had enough interest in the subject to look for them .......... does not mean they do not exist.
You are reduced to posting on an obscure Cyprus forum with half a dozen active members – most of who don’t agree with a word you post.

I don’t expect people, especially on a Cyprus forum, to necessarily agree with me but on the other hand, I find it strange that people like you, are so willing to spout your opinion and disagreement with me on a subject you know virtually nothing about, because my more informed views conflict with your own rather ill-informed self opinion, when the subject is brought up!
Your unearned sense of moral superiority just does not cut it with the posters any more, if it ever did…

I don’t see where ‘morals’ comes into the argument? I am certainly not ‘superior’ just better informed than you and others, on certain subjects. Keep in mind the saying; “In the land of the blind ..... the one eyed man is King!” I have two good eyes on chosen subjects, otherwise I would be just as ill-informed as you are!
Embarrassing.

For you I agree ...... because, as I said, I can prove what I say! Can you? So far no sign of any support from you for your hypothesis, which you just repeat without questioning its credibility, from the official conspiracy theory. :roll:
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: The impending war against Iran thread

Postby cyprusgrump » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:34 am

Robin Hood wrote:You are welcome to your opinion as that is all it is! I asked you to look at two videos and give an opinion but clearly that was beyond your capabilities ..... presumably you couldn’t work it out! :roll:

Cyprus grump:
Your lack of self-awareness is virtually pathological.

There is absolutely nothing mentally lacking about me and I am well aware of why I get up your nose!
You claim to be the fount of all knowledge, and anybody that disagrees with you is stupid.

No ..... I limit myself to things I understand and/or have knowledge of! Unlike some people.
Of course you have been on a 9/11 forum for 15 years, I can imagine what a conspiracy theorist echo chamber it is! Along with the other web sites that you use as ‘evidence’ obviously...

As you have said, you don't need evidence! But, what you are saying is that you believe that YOU are far more knowledgeable than people, the majority of them professionals, who are qualified in their subjects? Is that not rather conceited of you considering you regard anything, no matter what the evidence says, as a ‘conspiracy theory’ even though you have never bothered to follow any of the contrary explanations to form your opinion?

This is a forum dedicated to just 9/11 with comments from those that explain and those that just ridicule. Quite extensive and interesting to read various comments.

http://www.politicalforum.com/index.php?forums/9-11.64/

..... or one of the more popular ‘Truth’ sites;

https://www.ae911truth.org/

https://www.ae911truth.org/evidence/near-free-fall-acceleration ...... even NIST knows what free-fall acceleration is but just ignore the implications of their own public statements.
Of course you know stuff we don’t know, can’t know or can’t understand. You are obviously of a far superior intellect than we mere mortals!

No .... you are just being theatrically stupid! Of course I know things you don’t know! If you never read the other side of a story that is presented to you without any supporting evidence and accept what you have been told without ever questioning it, but I do, then I will have more knowledge on that subject than you. That is why I never comment on The Cyprus Problem or football ..... because I know next to nothing about either.
But where is your platform? Where is your website? Where are people queuing up to get ‘the truth’ from the messiah…?

I don’t need a platform as there are plenty of them out there already.
They don’t exist do they…?

Of course they do! Just because you have never had enough interest in the subject to look for them .......... does not mean they do not exist.
You are reduced to posting on an obscure Cyprus forum with half a dozen active members – most of who don’t agree with a word you post.

I don’t expect people, especially on a Cyprus forum, to necessarily agree with me but on the other hand, I find it strange that people like you, are so willing to spout your opinion and disagreement with me on a subject you know virtually nothing about, because my more informed views conflict with your own rather ill-informed self opinion, when the subject is brought up!
Your unearned sense of moral superiority just does not cut it with the posters any more, if it ever did…

I don’t see where ‘morals’ comes into the argument? I am certainly not ‘superior’ just better informed than you and others, on certain subjects. Keep in mind the saying; “In the land of the blind ..... the one eyed man is King!” I have two good eyes on chosen subjects, otherwise I would be just as ill-informed as you are!
Embarrassing.

For you I agree ...... because, as I said, I can prove what I say! Can you? So far no sign of any support from you for your hypothesis, which you just repeat without questioning its credibility, from the official conspiracy theory. :roll:


My case rests... :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7725
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Re: The impending war against Iran thread

Postby Londonrake » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:43 am

From 37C downtown Sydney 8) (having survived crossing 2000 miles of Outback. :D ). Evidence of the recent cataclysm coming into this city was quite sobering. Literally Mile upon mile of blackened landscape. :(

Mr Hood well fits the definition of Troll. He’s always sown discord and in fact delights in it. Loves a good row, in order to “prove his superiority”. It’s a consuming hobby and principle priority of his. In that endeavour he’s fallen out with more people than anybody else I know. A pariah. None of which has affected his obnoxiousness in the slightest.

If he were to decide the world was flat tomorrow he’d produce well researched and irrefutable “proof” on the matter and his view would be unshakeable. You would be yet another inferior idiot for not acknowledging the “well informed” obvious. Furthermore, he would have absolutely no interest at all in anything anybody else had to say to the contrary, other than to use it as springboard for yet more his own endless output. Bludgeon, bludgeon, bludgeon, until you gave up, in exasperation. There to be one of the “shot down”. Adding to his countless victories.

Which is why I reiterate. It’s a total waste of time engaging with him on any issue of substance.

Ohh, he’s also prone to the occasional outburst of idiocy. That and intelligence not of course being mutually exclusive.
Londonrake
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1909
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest