The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The Classic Browser... at last!

Anything related to the Internet, computers and technology in general.

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Get Real! » Tue May 19, 2020 6:36 pm

Maximus wrote:It sounds great, an excellent product but how does it make money?

If your users dont care about ads, then are they willing to pay for the browser?

If not, why not and if yes, why arent you charging them for it?

Look, Paphitis is saying he will support you but how exactly?

No, it’s a free product for those who want Internet freedom and control from all the commercial bull out there.

I don’t wanna charge for freedom although you sound like the kind of guy who’d even charge for the oxygen people breathe... if you could! :lol:

As for Paphitis... he tried to use a Man's browser a few times but got his head stuck in the ZIP file, so he reverted back to the gay Garibaldi or something. :?
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 42492
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Maximus » Tue May 19, 2020 7:20 pm

If I am spending time and energy providing value to people,

Solving a problem, filling a need in the market,

then yes, I want some value back.

That sounds right to me.

but if this project is charity, it is ok if that is what you intend for it.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5320
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Get Real! » Tue May 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Maximus wrote:If I am spending time and energy providing value to people,

Solving a problem, filling a need in the market,

then yes, I want some value back.

That sounds right to me.

but if this project is charity, it is ok if that is what you intend for it.

I don’t care about the money... when I get the odd email from some complete stranger in another country, thanking me and/or asking me technical questions... it’s worth more than a small amount I could’ve earned from this person.

When you start charging for software the game changes completely because there are legal issues to deal with including after-market support etc... it'll probably stop being fun and I'll get bored of such responsibility.
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 42492
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Maximus » Tue May 19, 2020 9:19 pm

you can accept donations from people who want to buy you a drink but whatever.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5320
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Get Real! » Tue May 19, 2020 9:37 pm

Maximus wrote:you can accept donations from people who want to buy you a drink but whatever.

It feels good to empower the average Internet user with a browser that eliminates all the problems they were facing like…

* Incessant cookie/privacy banners.
* One-sided obligatory agreements to access the Internet.
* Incessant ads following them around.
* Ridiculous consumption of system resources and subsequent erratic behavior and browser crashes.
* Countless megabytes of junk files written to their hard disk wasting disk space.
* Hidden crucial settings buried deep where nobody can find them.

The list of problems junk-browser users face just goes on and on… I can’t imagine a online life with a junk browser, I think I’d rather not be on the Internet at all!
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 42492
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Paphitis » Wed May 20, 2020 8:10 am

Get Real! wrote:
Maximus wrote:you can accept donations from people who want to buy you a drink but whatever.

It feels good to empower the average Internet user with a browser that eliminates all the problems they were facing like…

* Incessant cookie/privacy banners.
* One-sided obligatory agreements to access the Internet.
* Incessant ads following them around.
* Ridiculous consumption of system resources and subsequent erratic behavior and browser crashes.
* Countless megabytes of junk files written to their hard disk wasting disk space.
* Hidden crucial settings buried deep where nobody can find them.

The list of problems junk-browser users face just goes on and on… I can’t imagine a online life with a junk browser, I think I’d rather not be on the Internet at all!


You are very lucky that I actually installed it onto my computer. I run a very lean and fast daily driver and I don’t install software for the hell of it.

I don’t even run any virus software anymore.

Your software is so @safe” or controlled, it ceases to be functional and it takes away the enjoyment from the internet.

Your software isn’t for Alpha Makes. It’s more suited to pensioners and the elderly who will only check a recipe for muffins, or the weather to see when they got to fertilise their rose patch.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26572
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Get Real! » Wed May 20, 2020 12:37 pm

Paphitis wrote:You are very lucky that I actually installed it onto my computer. I run a very lean and fast daily driver and I don’t install software for the hell of it.

I don’t even run any virus software anymore.

Your software is so @safe” or controlled, it ceases to be functional and it takes away the enjoyment from the internet.

Your software isn’t for Alpha Makes. It’s more suited to pensioners and the elderly who will only check a recipe for muffins, or the weather to see when they got to fertilise their rose patch.

It’s anyone’s guess what your O/S is like Paphitis...

It’s not uncommon for non-technical people to be using a guest account all their lives without even knowing it, and/or be running under the default User Account Control (UAC) settings, and so forth.

The list of hindrances that such people live with, are many but they don’t even notice because they know no better.

It’s like a toddler who grows up never removing the training wheels from his bike because that’s all he knows and is used to them now!

:)
User avatar
Get Real!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 42492
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: Nicosia

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Paphitis » Wed May 20, 2020 12:54 pm

Get Real! wrote:
Paphitis wrote:You are very lucky that I actually installed it onto my computer. I run a very lean and fast daily driver and I don’t install software for the hell of it.

I don’t even run any virus software anymore.

Your software is so @safe” or controlled, it ceases to be functional and it takes away the enjoyment from the internet.

Your software isn’t for Alpha Makes. It’s more suited to pensioners and the elderly who will only check a recipe for muffins, or the weather to see when they got to fertilise their rose patch.

It’s anyone’s guess what your O/S is like Paphitis...

It’s not uncommon for non-technical people to be using a guest account all their lives without even knowing it, and/or be running under the default User Account Control (UAC) settings, and so forth.

The list of hindrances that such people live with, are many but they don’t even notice because they know no better.

It’s like a toddler who grows up never removing the training wheels from his bike because that’s all he knows and is used to them now!

:)


My OS is micky mouse Get Real.

Just like my cars and house. Everything in its place, tidy, and functional.

And I am a lot more technical than you are my friend. Your computers are like a piddle in the park for me. If I have the time, I can dissect everything very precisely.

There is nothing wrong with my computers. I have them running and configured the way I like and they are fast and kind to their available resources.

I don't use any guest accounts, and certainly know when I am logged into Google or anything else and when I don't want to be.

I am so pedantic about everything and my security right down to my emails which are encrypted end to end. I can even lock my sent emails to the recipient where they can only unlock the key by knowing the password.

Don't you worry about me, because my computers are more secure than yours can ever be. I get my functionality from Google and YouTube when I want it and when I don't I am as secure as anything. Blocking Google by default though, is quite lame.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26572
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby erolz66 » Wed May 20, 2020 1:12 pm

Paphitis wrote:And I am a lot more technical than you are my friend. Your computers are like a piddle in the park for me. If I have the time, I can dissect everything very precisely.


Have you started taking Hydroxychloroquine yet ?

Paphitis wrote:I am so pedantic about everything and my security right down to my emails which are encrypted end to end.


No they are not. I would know this is bollocks generically for such could only work if everyone who ever received an email from you was using the same end to end encryption and they are not. But you then go on to prove it is bollocks and you do not understand the very terms you throw around when you say

Paphitis wrote:I can even lock my sent emails to the recipient where they can only unlock the key by knowing the password.


If all you emails were encrypted end to end then by definition the recipient could not read them without having the necessary key at their end. The vast majority of security breaches (physical and virtual) happen because people do silly and stupid things because they are ignorant of risks whilst thinking they know it all. Hubris is not secure. On this score you are a walking security hazard.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: The Classic Browser... at last!

Postby Paphitis » Wed May 20, 2020 1:14 pm

erolz66 wrote:
Paphitis wrote:And I am a lot more technical than you are my friend. Your computers are like a piddle in the park for me. If I have the time, I can dissect everything very precisely.


Have you started taking Hydroxychloroquine yet ?

Paphitis wrote:I am so pedantic about everything and my security right down to my emails which are encrypted end to end.


No they are not. I would know this is bollocks generically for such could only work if everyone who ever received an email from you was using the same end to end encryption and they are not. But you then go on to prove it is bollocks and you do not understand the very terms you throw around when you say

Paphitis wrote:I can even lock my sent emails to the recipient where they can only unlock the key by knowing the password.


If all you emails were encrypted end to end then by definition the recipient could not read them without having the necessary key at their end. The vast majority of security breaches (physical and virtual) happen because people do silly and stupid things because they are ignorant of risks whilst thinking they know it all. Hubris is not secure. On this score you are a walking security hazard.


Wrong!

I can encrypt my email and I can prove it to you by sending you an email that is completely encrypted with its own special key that I have.

In order for you to open that email, I need to text or signal you the key! Normally, when you go to such lengths to secure your data, you got to send the key with end to end encryption as well, which means not SMS.

I have been doing that for years. Especially when getting in touch with family on deployment.
Last edited by Paphitis on Wed May 20, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26572
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Internet, Computers and Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests