The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Land of the free

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: Land of the free

Postby Paphitis » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:36 am

Maximus wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
It's not a free country like we are use to in the West.

Pootin does rule with an iron fist and in a very totalitarian way



:lol:

I know what you mean,

He rules Like the EUSSR that you are so eager for the uk to leave.....


C’mon I don’t like the EU and am eager for the UK to leave.

But comparing Russia to the EU is like comparing China to Australia. :lol:

It’s probably not a valid comparison as the EU isn’t really a country either.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 32303
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Land of the free

Postby Robin Hood » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:32 am

Paphitis wrote:
Maximus wrote:The article says that Putin’s approval rating is still over 60%.

These activists represent someone who has support only in the single digits.

Which makes these ‘activists’ trouble makers because they are demanding that the government resign, and challenging the authorities on the streets.

Look what happened in Syria and Ukraine, because of some rebels and trouble makers that also garnered foreign support.


Mate,

people don't have a choice.

If you say anything against Pootin you are the least blacklisted whereby you can't even get a job to support your family, and at worst you are physically threatened where your safety is compromised and in some extreme cases (journalists) you are murdered and go missing forever. Yes journalists and other politicians are murdered or go missing. The country is notorious for such activity.

It's not a free country like we are use to in the West.

Pootin does rule with an iron fist and in a very totalitarian way

It would be a very brave individual who nominated to run against him and serious contenders that have a profile and following are threatened into submission and don't end up running or just don't run at all because of the very high cost to themselves and their families.

there are many Russians in Cyprus and you should ask them what it is like. Most of them are very honest and will tell you straight.

I still have a great friend here in in Australia who is a qualified Engineer and a former officer of the Russian Air Force. A very sophisticated and an educated man. A married man with a family too. He hasn't got anything good to say.

Democracy in Russia isn't even window dressing.


At least LR posts links ..... all you do is post your own ill-informed opinion and spout propaganda!

We know several Russians in Cyprus, all with family still living in Russia and all of them admit that life under Putin and the Russian State that replaced the USSR is a vast improvement. In Poland where they got the so-called freedoms you think the Russian people lack ...... many refer to the time before they got all this freedom, as ..... 'the good old days.' They were fooled by the western TV programs and media that what they were seeing was the paradise they would all benefit from if they got rid of the socialists ........ it never occurred to them that there was a price to pay and all the benefits of a socialist state disappeared. Admittedly some got very rich (Usually the ex-rulers they just got rid of just like they did in Russia under Yeltzin ..... a lot of which Putin overturned)) but the majority of Poles saw a general fall in the quality of life.

So if you want to comment from a point of fact rather than your rather distorted and very biased viewpoint ...... try posting a few credible links to back your claims? :roll:
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4342
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Land of the free

Postby Maximus » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Paphitis wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
It's not a free country like we are use to in the West.

Pootin does rule with an iron fist and in a very totalitarian way



:lol:

I know what you mean,

He rules Like the EUSSR that you are so eager for the uk to leave.....


C’mon I don’t like the EU and am eager for the UK to leave.

But comparing Russia to the EU is like comparing China to Australia. :lol:

It’s probably not a valid comparison as the EU isn’t really a country either.


That might make it worse because the eu rules over countries.

The questions we should be answering is if Russians prefer what they have or to be ruled by the eu or the West.

In other words, does your opinion of what Russia should be governed like supersede theirs.

I think the answer is obvious. They would reject the way of western societies and our brand of democracy imposed on them.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7535
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Land of the free

Postby Paphitis » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:10 am

Maximus wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Paphitis wrote:
It's not a free country like we are use to in the West.

Pootin does rule with an iron fist and in a very totalitarian way



:lol:

I know what you mean,

He rules Like the EUSSR that you are so eager for the uk to leave.....


C’mon I don’t like the EU and am eager for the UK to leave.

But comparing Russia to the EU is like comparing China to Australia. :lol:

It’s probably not a valid comparison as the EU isn’t really a country either.


That might make it worse because the eu rules over countries.

The questions we should be answering is if Russians prefer what they have or to be ruled by the eu or the West.

In other words, does your opinion of what Russia should be governed like supersede theirs.

I think the answer is obvious. They would reject the way of western societies and our brand of democracy imposed on them.


Hey,

even though I support BREXIT I do not for a second believe the EU is any where near as bad as Russia is which is definitely a totalitarian state.

I would compare Russia with China, Turkey and Iran but certainly not with the EU, or Britain for that matter or any other member State of the EU. Chalk and cheese.

And I do not hate any countries inside the EU. I like most of them as a matter of fact, if not all of them very much.

I am suspicious of the EU yes. I am also against this super state because I know what it will eventually do to some of you. I see Britain as being a member that wants to escape and I am watching this a a pre-cursor to a possible exit of other members and even CyEXIT and GREXIT.

The day will come when all your affairs will be centrally managed and you will want to get out.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 32303
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Land of the free

Postby Maximus » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:29 am

Unfortunately, there is no perfect system,

But what the Greeks invented many moons ago is probably the best system there is.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7535
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Land of the free

Postby Paphitis » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:52 am

Maximus wrote:Unfortunately, there is no perfect system,

But what the Greeks invented many moons ago is probably the best system there is.


Actually no. Democracy isn't perfect and it is extremely fragile too.

The most workable system is Dictatorship.

But Democracy is clearly better for the people. And some countries like Britain are very good at it. Russia, not so good at all.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 32303
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Land of the free

Postby erolz66 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:19 am

Paphitis wrote:I would compare Russia with China, Turkey and Iran but certainly not with the EU, or Britain for that matter or any other member State of the EU. Chalk and cheese.


But according to the extreme leavers you so admire Turkey IS in the EU in all but name ;)

Paphitis wrote:But Democracy is clearly better for the people. And some countries like Britain are very good at it.


Yeah the UK is so good at democracy that it has a minority Government looking to shut down Parliament entirely in order to get a form of Brexit that does not have majority support amongst MP's or the country.

Paphitis wrote:I am also against this super state because I know what it will eventually do to some of you.


Let's make New South Wales great again. Throw off the shackles of the corrupt and criminal Federal rulers. All you need is to believe in the greatness of New South Wales and courage.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4368
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Land of the free

Postby Paphitis » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:13 pm

erolz66 wrote:
Paphitis wrote:I would compare Russia with China, Turkey and Iran but certainly not with the EU, or Britain for that matter or any other member State of the EU. Chalk and cheese.


But according to the extreme leavers you so admire Turkey IS in the EU in all but name ;)

Paphitis wrote:But Democracy is clearly better for the people. And some countries like Britain are very good at it.


Yeah the UK is so good at democracy that it has a minority Government looking to shut down Parliament entirely in order to get a form of Brexit that does not have majority support amongst MP's or the country.

Paphitis wrote:I am also against this super state because I know what it will eventually do to some of you.


Let's make New South Wales great again. Throw off the shackles of the corrupt and criminal Federal rulers. All you need is to believe in the greatness of New South Wales and courage.


They may be right. Depends on how you look at it doesn't it.

Now imagine, Turkey in the EU. Why would Britain or anyone else want to stay in the EU and get flooded?

And what would happen to Cyprus?

MPs had their vote like everyone else and could have voted to remain as is their right to do so. But their vote counts the same as anyone else. Just because they are MPs does not mean they have extra power over the man on the street. It's 1 man and its 1 equally weighted vote. MPs are employed by the man on the street to represent them in Parliament.

In fact, all MPs have a moral duty to execute the will and the mandate of the people as they voted in the referendum. You can't just change the goal posts now because you don't like the result. that is Peshenvengi style BAZAAR democracy like what you find in places like Turkey.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 32303
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Land of the free

Postby B25 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:20 pm

.... and in Cyprus, in case you haven't been here for a while.
User avatar
B25
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6543
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm
Location: ** Classified **

Re: Land of the free

Postby erolz66 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:43 pm

Paphitis wrote:Now imagine, Turkey in the EU. Why would Britain or anyone else want to stay in the EU and get flooded?


Why do you say imagine Turkey is in the EU ? According to those Brexit extremists you so admire Turkey is already in the EU in all but name.

Paphitis wrote:And what would happen to Cyprus?


According to those Brexit extremists you so admire Turkey is already in the EU in all but name. They do not claim Turkey is in the EU in all but name as an opinion, they claim it as an indisputable fact.

Paphitis wrote:MPs had their vote like everyone else and could have voted to remain as is their right to do so. But their vote counts the same as anyone else. Just because they are MPs does not mean they have extra power over the man on the street. It's 1 man and its 1 equally weighted vote. MPs are employed by the man on the street to represent them in Parliament.

In fact, all MPs have a moral duty to execute the will and the mandate of the people as they voted in the referendum. You can't just change the goal posts now because you don't like the result. that is Peshenvengi style BAZAAR democracy like what you find in places like Turkey.


When there are multiple ways for the UK to not be in the EU, to claim that the one way YOU do not want the UK to be in the EU is democratic will of the people is a gross abuse of word democracy.

There are two ways a decision can be said to have democratic legitimacy in the UK. Either the people vote directly on a given issue or their elected representatives do. To claim that because people voted to leave but not how we should leave, your personal preference of how you want to leave is the democratic will of all those who voted to leave is a gross abuse of the word democracy.

There is a mandate to leave. There is NOT a mandate to leave in a singular specific way. To take the first mandate and claim it is a mandate for the second thing is an abuse of democracy.
erolz66
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4368
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest