The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


Land of the free

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Land of the free

Postby Londonrake » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Londonrake
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5803
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Land of the free

Postby Maximus » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:44 pm

The article says that Putin’s approval rating is still over 60%.

These activists represent someone who has support only in the single digits.

Which makes these ‘activists’ trouble makers because they are demanding that the government resign, and challenging the authorities on the streets.

Look what happened in Syria and Ukraine, because of some rebels and trouble makers that also garnered foreign support.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7535
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Land of the free

Postby Londonrake » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:11 pm

Maximus wrote:The article says that Putin’s approval rating is still over 60%.

These activists represent someone who has support only in the single digits.

Which makes these ‘activists’ trouble makers because they are demanding that the government resign, and challenging the authorities on the streets.

Look what happened in Syria and Ukraine, because of some rebels and trouble makers that also garnered foreign support.


Try reading it again.

No opposition is allowed in the (rubber stamp) Duma - ie, against Putin. A would be opposition politician with a degree of popularity has been imprisoned, purely for that reason. The protest was banned on trumped (sorry) up bureaucratic nonsense. Clearly, violence has been committed against some. Hundreds have been jailed. That, merely for attending a peaceful protest against their complete political disenfranchisement.

WTF does how many popularity digits a person has have to do with it? :?

The inference that this is in some way motivated by foreigners is risible.

These are the actions of a fascist state.
Wait a minute, what's that? Can you hear? ......................................................pitter patter pitter patterpitter patter pitter patter pitter patter! Gooood morning St Petersburg! :lol:
Londonrake
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5803
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Land of the free

Postby Robin Hood » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:30 pm

Awe LR you disappoint me .... you surely can do better than that? :roll:

Those upsetting pictures of vicious police personally directed by Putin, with riot shields, firing tear gas and beating all those poor protesters, with many seriously injured, wounds pouring with blood and dozens carried off in a stream of ambulances all needing hospital treatment due to police brutality and excessive force!

Oh ..... hang on a minute, I’ve got that all wrong, I do apologise ..... I am mixing them up with the Paris protesters. :oops:

If you want to protest against The State, obviously go to Moscow not Paris ...... the girl in the picture in the Reuters article looked like she was texting and the police officer ‘arresting’ her looked more like he was asking her to “Move along please miss, nothing to see here!” :D

No riots, no smashed windows, no ransacked shops/offices, no burning buildings, no injuries, no mounted police, no pictures of hordes of police blocking off side streets or blazing vehicles ....... and not a single puff of tear gas. The protestor’s were mostly young people and all of them, even those being arrested, were smiling broadly for the camera and looked as if they were thoroughly enjoying themselves.

I tried to find other sources but they were virtually all identical REUTERS reprints, except for RTE ...... that has a few more pictures that showed that, if you were suggesting Moscow police were just like the French police ........ you got it wrong! :wink:

That's Putin's problem ........... he's too soft! :lol: :lol:
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4342
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Re: Land of the free

Postby Paphitis » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:49 pm

Maximus wrote:The article says that Putin’s approval rating is still over 60%.

These activists represent someone who has support only in the single digits.

Which makes these ‘activists’ trouble makers because they are demanding that the government resign, and challenging the authorities on the streets.

Look what happened in Syria and Ukraine, because of some rebels and trouble makers that also garnered foreign support.


Mate,

people don't have a choice.

If you say anything against Pootin you are the least blacklisted whereby you can't even get a job to support your family, and at worst you are physically threatened where your safety is compromised and in some extreme cases (journalists) you are murdered and go missing forever. Yes journalists and other politicians are murdered or go missing. The country is notorious for such activity.

It's not a free country like we are use to in the West.

Pootin does rule with an iron fist and in a very totalitarian way

It would be a very brave individual who nominated to run against him and serious contenders that have a profile and following are threatened into submission and don't end up running or just don't run at all because of the very high cost to themselves and their families.

there are many Russians in Cyprus and you should ask them what it is like. Most of them are very honest and will tell you straight.

I still have a great friend here in in Australia who is a qualified Engineer and a former officer of the Russian Air Force. A very sophisticated and an educated man. A married man with a family too. He hasn't got anything good to say.

Democracy in Russia isn't even window dressing.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 32303
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Land of the free

Postby Paphitis » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:58 pm

Londonrake wrote:
Maximus wrote:The article says that Putin’s approval rating is still over 60%.

These activists represent someone who has support only in the single digits.

Which makes these ‘activists’ trouble makers because they are demanding that the government resign, and challenging the authorities on the streets.

Look what happened in Syria and Ukraine, because of some rebels and trouble makers that also garnered foreign support.


Try reading it again.

No opposition is allowed in the (rubber stamp) Duma - ie, against Putin. A would be opposition politician with a degree of popularity has been imprisoned, purely for that reason. The protest was banned on trumped (sorry) up bureaucratic nonsense. Clearly, violence has been committed against some. Hundreds have been jailed. That, merely for attending a peaceful protest against their complete political disenfranchisement.

WTF does how many popularity digits a person has have to do with it? :?

The inference that this is in some way motivated by foreigners is risible.

These are the actions of a fascist state.
Wait a minute, what's that? Can you hear? ......................................................pitter patter pitter patterpitter patter pitter patter pitter patter! Gooood morning St Petersburg! :lol:


Oh I see, you are calling St Petersburgh! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bravo for thinking outside the box. 10 out of 10 :lol:
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 32303
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: Land of the free

Postby Maximus » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:07 am

Londonrake wrote:
Maximus wrote:The article says that Putin’s approval rating is still over 60%.

These activists represent someone who has support only in the single digits.

Which makes these ‘activists’ trouble makers because they are demanding that the government resign, and challenging the authorities on the streets.

Look what happened in Syria and Ukraine, because of some rebels and trouble makers that also garnered foreign support.


Try reading it again.

No opposition is allowed in the (rubber stamp) Duma - ie, against Putin. A would be opposition politician with a degree of popularity has been imprisoned, purely for that reason. The protest was banned on trumped (sorry) up bureaucratic nonsense. Clearly, violence has been committed against some. Hundreds have been jailed. That, merely for attending a peaceful protest against their complete political disenfranchisement.

WTF does how many popularity digits a person has have to do with it? :?

The inference that this is in some way motivated by foreigners is risible.

These are the actions of a fascist state.
Wait a minute, what's that? Can you hear? ......................................................pitter patter pitter patterpitter patter pitter patter pitter patter! Gooood morning St Petersburg! :lol:


:o

So what should we do? Arm the opposition to over throw the government?

Or invade and bring democracy to Russia?

The CM.... don’t believe everything you read in there. :lol: :lol:

Having said that, the opposition did run for local duma elections in the past, so what you are saying in your first paragraph can’t be entirely correct. He didn’t garner enough signatures to qualify, and he is supported by too few people. That’s democracy, if you don’t get a popular vote or support, you do one or reform and try to boost your popularity. Not protest, demand the government resign and make trouble in the streets.
Last edited by Maximus on Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7535
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Land of the free

Postby Maximus » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:10 am

Paphitis wrote:
It's not a free country like we are use to in the West.

Pootin does rule with an iron fist and in a very totalitarian way



:lol:

I know what you mean,

He rules Like the EUSSR that you are so eager for the uk to leave.....
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7535
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Land of the free

Postby Londonrake » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:56 am

Russia protests: Thousand arrests at Moscow rally https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49125045
Londonrake
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5803
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: Land of the free

Postby Robin Hood » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:30 am

Londonrake wrote:Russia protests: Thousand arrests at Moscow rally https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49125045


You’re still flogging a dead horse .............. this is also referenced from the same BBC link! :roll:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49141237

Knowing the dubious neutrality of the BBC I am sure if there had been any heavy handedness by the police they would have posted those pictures not these.

So, yes you are correct .... it is Russiaphobia from the BBC, promulgated by a Russiaphobic. :lol: :lol:

I think the BBC should be heavily fined (say 200k) for biased reporting! :wink:

One comment I would make is that Putin has obviously found a way to prevent unwarranted violence by the police and destruction by protestors who were holding a rally for which they did not have permission. Try having an illegal rally in the UK/US or even Cyprus ..... would the response be any different? :?:
Robin Hood
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 4342
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Limassol

Next

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest