The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


the war against Libya

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: the war against Libya

Postby repulsewarrior » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:46 am

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article ... r-hometown

Libya's rebel general gives militias three days to leave capital – or see their hometown destroyed
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9369
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: the war against Libya

Postby Maximus » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:40 pm

Turkish officials are making no effort to hide their intentions. They are taking every opportunity, including at international forums, to employ defiant and often threatening rhetoric.

When looking at Turkey’s place in the world, it is important to recall that both world wars were caused in part by “ostrich mentality” — the refusal to deal with problems at hand. If we presume this to be the case, it is clear appeasement is no way to move forward when facing a dire threat.

I was struck by a simple fact when listening to two senior international analysts react to Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Çavuşoğlu’s rowdy defence of Ankara’s positions on Syria, hydrocarbon drilling off Cyprus and the Libyan conflict at the Rome MED conference.

One gentleman I spoke with after the event exclaimed that “we are fooling ourselves regarding Turkey.”

When asked how, he replied: “Look at Syria, and look now what’s happening with Libya…Here we are, pretending as if the entire picture has all the options to turn rosy and we have just heard a foreign minister, whose government doesn’t recognise Cyprus, whose embassy in Damascus shut down, whose diplomatic relations with Israel and Egypt are nearly non-existent.

“Whichever major issue we choose, we see Ankara as the one with a problem and solution-oriented…”

Another attendee chimed in: “We have a rogue state at hand, nobody wants to openly admit that and that’s the point.

https://ahvalnews.com/recep-tayyip-erdo ... ogue-state

Turkey will probably be recognized as a terror state in the not too distant future. Turkey is a problem that the EU and the other countries in the region are going to have to deal with to ensure peace, stability and progress.

In my opinion, it will be carved up, restructured and discarded to some insignificant existence as to be out of every ones way.
Maximus
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 5453
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: the war against Libya

Postby Kikapu » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:03 am

Maximus wrote:Turkish officials are making no effort to hide their intentions. They are taking every opportunity, including at international forums, to employ defiant and often threatening rhetoric.

When looking at Turkey’s place in the world, it is important to recall that both world wars were caused in part by “ostrich mentality” — the refusal to deal with problems at hand. If we presume this to be the case, it is clear appeasement is no way to move forward when facing a dire threat.

I was struck by a simple fact when listening to two senior international analysts react to Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Çavuşoğlu’s rowdy defence of Ankara’s positions on Syria, hydrocarbon drilling off Cyprus and the Libyan conflict at the Rome MED conference.

One gentleman I spoke with after the event exclaimed that “we are fooling ourselves regarding Turkey.”

When asked how, he replied: “Look at Syria, and look now what’s happening with Libya…Here we are, pretending as if the entire picture has all the options to turn rosy and we have just heard a foreign minister, whose government doesn’t recognise Cyprus, whose embassy in Damascus shut down, whose diplomatic relations with Israel and Egypt are nearly non-existent.

“Whichever major issue we choose, we see Ankara as the one with a problem and solution-oriented…”

Another attendee chimed in: “We have a rogue state at hand, nobody wants to openly admit that and that’s the point.

https://ahvalnews.com/recep-tayyip-erdo ... ogue-state

Turkey will probably be recognized as a terror state in the not too distant future. Turkey is a problem that the EU and the other countries in the region are going to have to deal with to ensure peace, stability and progress.

In my opinion, it will be carved up, restructured and discarded to some insignificant existence as to be out of every ones way.


I think the west slowly but surely allowing Turkey enough rope to hang herself. Turkey is taking the bait in Syria to invade some portions to stretch herself thin and now soon the same in Libya. NATO did not give Turkey what it wanted, which was to recognize every group Turkey does not like as a terrorist group so that NATO can support her illegal moves. Turkey is on her own, and Trump told Turkey that they were on their own once the Americans pulled back. Turkey is crying that no one is helping her and the refugees which she has created from the beginning of Syrian war. As for the EastMed pipeline, it will be built and there is nothing Turkey can do about it no matter what claims she makes in the Med with the illegal agreement she may have with Libya, especially now that American sanctions are also effecting Russian gas pipelines to Europe, one through Turkey. This could all flare up into a war, but NATO will NOT back up Turkey if she starts the fighting.
User avatar
Kikapu
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 14997
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Re: the war against Libya

Postby repulsewarrior » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:48 am

...news; much confusion from Libyans themselves,

https://in-cyprus.com/libyan-house-spea ... to-the-eu/

...January will be as busy month for diplomats.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9369
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: the war against Libya

Postby Paphitis » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:54 pm

repulsewarrior wrote:...news; much confusion from Libyans themselves,

https://in-cyprus.com/libyan-house-spea ... to-the-eu/

...January will be as busy month for diplomats.


That's from the CNA or the shadow government which oppose Turkey and the MOU between Turkey and the GNA which control 20% of Libya. The CNA control 80% of all Libya and seem to be on top of this conflict but Turkey has just sent troops to help the GNA so no one knows what affect this is going to have.

The military arm of the CNA is the Libyan National Army under General Khalifa Haftar. The CNA and LNA seem to be the logical party in Libya.

The CNA and the LNA under Haftar are supported by Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Greece, France, Italy, Spain, Saudi Arabia, UAE, USA, and Russia. Yeh it just so happens that USA and Russia have chosen the same guys to support in this one, mainly because of their support for Egypt who seem to be the main player here.

The GNA are more Islamist and are supported by QATAR, and Turkey and that's it. They are also supported by the Muslim Brotherhood.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26759
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: the war against Libya

Postby repulsewarrior » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:21 pm

..an interesting article which attempts to define all the different factions,

https://www.ecfr.eu/mena/mapping_libya_conflict

...there are many.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9369
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: the war against Libya

Postby repulsewarrior » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:13 am

Italy and Turkey, off the coast of Algeria, together as representatives of NATO.

The Göksü and Gökova frigates have set out for the Port of Algiers for a ceremony commemorating Turkish seaman and governor Oruç Reis and will remain in the waters of the country between January 7-10, Sözcü newspaper reported.

The Turkish fleet will also support NATO’s Operation Sea Guardian in the Mediterranean Sea, it said.

https://ahvalnews.com/turkey-algeria/tu ... n-tensions



...what with Erdogan's visit to Tunisia this week, it is hardly coincidence.
User avatar
repulsewarrior
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 9369
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:13 am
Location: homeless in Canada

Re: the war against Libya

Postby Paphitis » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:31 am

repulsewarrior wrote:Italy and Turkey, off the coast of Algeria, together as representatives of NATO.

The Göksü and Gökova frigates have set out for the Port of Algiers for a ceremony commemorating Turkish seaman and governor Oruç Reis and will remain in the waters of the country between January 7-10, Sözcü newspaper reported.

The Turkish fleet will also support NATO’s Operation Sea Guardian in the Mediterranean Sea, it said.

https://ahvalnews.com/turkey-algeria/tu ... n-tensions



...what with Erdogan's visit to Tunisia this week, it is hardly coincidence.


I predicted Erdogan was going to visit Tunisia a few weeks ago. remember when I stated that Greece should beat them to it?

Anyway, the alliances are now well and truly formed.

Qatar and Turkey supporting one side, the rest of the world virtually in support of Haftar!

Greece needs to pay attention. As far as I am concerned, Greece and Turkey are now at war through Libyan proxies.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26759
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: the war against Libya

Postby B25 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:36 am

Mate, don't expect anything from Greece, it is well and truly fucked up. It is not the Greece everyone knew and loved, now they are the trash pile of Europe with corrupt Gov officials on the take from the EU and others and the country is wasted. Yeah, it has some nice beaches, just make sure you wife carries a spare burka when you next visit. :) :)
User avatar
B25
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 6543
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm
Location: ** Classified **

Re: the war against Libya

Postby Paphitis » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:59 am

B25 wrote:Mate, don't expect anything from Greece, it is well and truly fucked up. It is not the Greece everyone knew and loved, now they are the trash pile of Europe with corrupt Gov officials on the take from the EU and others and the country is wasted. Yeah, it has some nice beaches, just make sure you wife carries a spare burka when you next visit. :) :)


I hear you mate but Greek politicians and their objectives don't seem to be that bad.

I saw an interview with the US Ambassador to Greece, and he said that there is no country in the world that is more supportive of trying to keep Turkey anchored in western institutions, because the Americans said this is the easiest way to control Turkey. it's when Turkey leaves this block, when it is more difficult to keep them in check.

So for now, it's like waking on egg shells.

However, the straw that breaks the camel's back could be very near. Greece can't afford to let Turkey drill in its EEZ, because if they do, they have lost the game.

The rhetoric coming out of the Greek Government seems to be the toughest I have seen in a long time.

User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 26759
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests