The Best Cyprus Community

Skip to content


The risks to children of British public schools.

Everything related to politics in Cyprus and the rest of the world.

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby cyprusgrump » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:20 pm

erolz66 wrote:
cyprusgrump wrote:Children in care given boarding school places are three times as likely to go to university

Children in care who are given boarding school places are three times more likely to go to university, the first major study has shown.

Sending vulnerable youngsters to boarding schools also makes them six times more likely to achieve at least two A-levels, according to a new report by the Royal National Children’s SpringBoard Foundation.

The charity works with local authorities to place disadvantaged children in some of the country's most prestigious institutions including Eton College, Harrow School, Radley College and Wellington College.


How many children in public school boarding are from care homes ? This is about unnecessary risk. If the background you are coming from is already high risk, higher risk than boarding then the necessity in such rare cases is entirely different. I am talking about the 99.99% of children in boarding schools today who do not come from such extreme backgrounds. This point is made at the end of the 30 year old documentary on boarding I linked to before by the way, though you probably did not watch it.


If I posted a link to a 30 year old documentary about computing would you expect it to be relevant to the state of computing today...?
User avatar
cyprusgrump
Main Contributor
Main Contributor
 
Posts: 7612
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: Pissouri, Cyprus

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Pyrpolizer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:43 pm

cyprusgrump wrote:
erolz66 wrote:
cyprusgrump wrote:Children in care given boarding school places are three times as likely to go to university

Children in care who are given boarding school places are three times more likely to go to university, the first major study has shown.

Sending vulnerable youngsters to boarding schools also makes them six times more likely to achieve at least two A-levels, according to a new report by the Royal National Children’s SpringBoard Foundation.

The charity works with local authorities to place disadvantaged children in some of the country's most prestigious institutions including Eton College, Harrow School, Radley College and Wellington College.


How many children in public school boarding are from care homes ? This is about unnecessary risk. If the background you are coming from is already high risk, higher risk than boarding then the necessity in such rare cases is entirely different. I am talking about the 99.99% of children in boarding schools today who do not come from such extreme backgrounds. This point is made at the end of the 30 year old documentary on boarding I linked to before by the way, though you probably did not watch it.


If I posted a link to a 30 year old documentary about computing would you expect it to be relevant to the state of computing today...?


Yes if what you want to demonstrate is the root of the computing thinking process be it "do loops", "if statements, etc.

The root of the problem with boarding schools was always the same
a)separation of the child from maternal care often at the age of 5 or 6 when it needs it the most, to devolope to a psychologically stable adult
b) Assigning the role of parental guidance to a fucking institution

it's like forcing a child whose parents are both alive to enroll in an orphanage.
Did you watch the documentary? Which part of it did you find irrelevant to modern day's situation.
Even the ignorance demonstrated by the parents is the same.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10468
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Paphitis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:15 am

cyprusgrump wrote:Children in care given boarding school places are three times as likely to go to university

Children in care who are given boarding school places are three times more likely to go to university, the first major study has shown.

Sending vulnerable youngsters to boarding schools also makes them six times more likely to achieve at least two A-levels, according to a new report by the Royal National Children’s SpringBoard Foundation.

The charity works with local authorities to place disadvantaged children in some of the country's most prestigious institutions including Eton College, Harrow School, Radley College and Wellington College.


Well it makes sense since most boarding schools, at least in Australia, seem to be very high end institutions that cost a fortune.

Students would try harder, and a lot of resources are pumped into their education due to the funds they pay buying more resources for such schools, plus also they tend to have much lower class sizes, better facilities and better teachers.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25463
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Paphitis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:22 am

Pyrpolizer wrote:
cyprusgrump wrote:
erolz66 wrote:
cyprusgrump wrote:Children in care given boarding school places are three times as likely to go to university

Children in care who are given boarding school places are three times more likely to go to university, the first major study has shown.

Sending vulnerable youngsters to boarding schools also makes them six times more likely to achieve at least two A-levels, according to a new report by the Royal National Children’s SpringBoard Foundation.

The charity works with local authorities to place disadvantaged children in some of the country's most prestigious institutions including Eton College, Harrow School, Radley College and Wellington College.


How many children in public school boarding are from care homes ? This is about unnecessary risk. If the background you are coming from is already high risk, higher risk than boarding then the necessity in such rare cases is entirely different. I am talking about the 99.99% of children in boarding schools today who do not come from such extreme backgrounds. This point is made at the end of the 30 year old documentary on boarding I linked to before by the way, though you probably did not watch it.


If I posted a link to a 30 year old documentary about computing would you expect it to be relevant to the state of computing today...?


Yes if what you want to demonstrate is the root of the computing thinking process be it "do loops", "if statements, etc.

The root of the problem with boarding schools was always the same
a)separation of the child from maternal care often at the age of 5 or 6 when it needs it the most, to devolope to a psychologically stable adult
b) Assigning the role of parental guidance to a fucking institution

it's like forcing a child whose parents are both alive to enroll in an orphanage.
Did you watch the documentary? Which part of it did you find irrelevant to modern day's situation.
Even the ignorance demonstrated by the parents is the same.


These schools know exactly what the problems are if any, and they do allocate a lot of resources to these students because their families pay a lot of money.

There isn't that much separation either as the students usually see their families every few weeks. Travel is very cheap.

These students get counseling and they have social workers on hand. I mean seriously, these schools have multi million dollar music halls with the best acoustics you can only find at The Sydney Opera House and you think they are going to worry about a couple of Psyches to be available for the kids to talk to?

Going to these schools is like going to Oxford or Harvard. there is a lot of prestige and as a result a lot of doors open. I have not noticed ANY children being damaged because of the Boarding part of the school. They all seem to be quite normal and very happy kids. They are however, mostly country kids from Farming and Station families.

And these kids are VERY tough and street smart kids. If you ask me, they are tougher and smarter than the city kids, mostly because farmers don't spoil their children and on the farm you have to be resourceful and astute.

On average country kids seem slighly more switched on and slightly more emotionally stable and tough.

Not only this, but most of the boarding country kids are also probably from that particular denomination and also have Pastoral care from an actual priest. I would put it to you that they are by far better disciplines and more stable than most kids that stay with their Mum.

I do not see any issue with separation children from their parents by consent for the purposes of attending a school in the city. The only issue I can see is some slight home sickness or missing their families, but these parents actually do love their kids (to spend the money they do), and they are probably missing their kids more than the kids miss their parents and therefore the parents probably visit mid term. Between terms, the kids go home so it isn't that bad.

Also don't forget that the kids will make friends and they would probably rather spend time with their friends and would rather more space from their parents as well because the parents cramp their style a bit. As the kids get older, the less time they want to be near their parents. that is just normal.

And because these kids are boarding, and essentially away from their family, they actually mature much quicker and become a lot more wiser and astute and despite these country kids already being tougher than the average, they probably become even more tougher, and more responsible.

No educational institution is going to place any children in a situation where there is likely to be any mental health issues for the child and if they identified any such issues with any of the children they have a duty of care to do something about it and they would report back to the parents and between them try to figure out what is causing the issues and they would try to solve the situation.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25463
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Pyrpolizer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:12 pm

Paphitis wrote: These schools know exactly what the problems are if any, and they do allocate a lot of resources to these students because their families pay a lot of money.


Really? Money solves all problems huh! Yeah right, any more nonsense?
Btw do a search for "cheap boarding schools" in Australia.

wrote: There isn't that much separation either as the students usually see their families every few weeks. Travel is very cheap.


Really? Are you trying to convince us that EVERY DAY parental care is equivalent to once a month visit? Try it yourself man, within a few months you will be a distant stranger, or at best some image of a parent.

wrote: These students get counseling and they have social workers on hand. I mean seriously, these schools have multi million dollar music halls with the best acoustics you can only find at The Sydney Opera House and you think they are going to worry about a couple of Psyches to be available for the kids to talk to?


Yeah right, once again your notion that money solves all problems. You’ve been provided links. You haven’t read anything! It’s not only a couple of psyches. ALL of the boarders (especially those at the age of 6 - 12) become psyches to various degrees, ranging from clearly identifiable to hiding.

wrote: Going to these schools is like going to Oxford or Harvard. there is a lot of prestige and as a result a lot of doors open.


It’s a fucking primary or secondary school. How can you compare them with Universities is beyond me. Not even close to University education. The average University education is superior by far than any of the top elitist high schools.

wrote: I have not noticed ANY children being damaged because of the Boarding part of the school. They all seem to be quite normal and very happy kids.


You will never "notice" such a thing. Children adapt. They develop the so call "maladaptive behavior" which is very hard to distinguish because you have no valid reference. The only valid reference would be the very same child having grown as a non boarder.
However experts - mainly psychologists - who ‘ve gone through it themselves, did studies and exposed the damage done on ALL boarding students to varying degrees. But you didn’t read any links, didn’t watch any documentaries posted, did you? We probably expect too much from you.

wrote: And these kids are VERY tough and street smart kids. If you ask me, they are tougher and smarter than the city kids, mostly because farmers don't spoil their children and on the farm you have to be resourceful and astute.

On average country kids seem slighly more switched on and slightly more emotionally stable and tough.

Not only this, but most of the boarding country kids are also probably from that particular denomination and also have Pastoral care from an actual priest. I would put it to you that they are by far better disciplines and more stable than most kids that stay with their Mum.


You are diverting the issue to country kids. If country kids are tougher than city kids and can adapt easier to boarding schools is totally irrelevant to the issue been discussed.

wrote: I do not see any issue with separation children from their parents by consent for the purposes of attending a school in the city. The only issue I can see is some slight home sickness or missing their families, but these parents actually do love their kids (to spend the money they do) , and they are probably missing their kids more than the kids miss their parents and therefore the parents probably visit mid term. Between terms, the kids go home so it isn't that bad.


Of course you don’t see any issue. Simply because you are blind and don’t want to see anything.
Why are you trying to limit the issue to the cases of mutual consent, which usually occur with teenagers? How old were your OWN children when you dumped them in a boarding school?
Are you trying to convince us they had anything to say, other than just abide to your own wishes for "their own good" ?

**************************************************************************

Too boring even dealing with your fixations Paphitis.
I actually thought both the UK and Australia output total freaks out in the society.
Thank God it’s not so.
Out of nearly 3 million students in Australia, only 28, 000 attend boarding schools which is less than 1%. Same percentage in the UK.

So go on Paphitis be in that 1% of lunatics who think they will turn their children from children of a pilot to children of a Duke by just sending them to an elitist boarding school.
Just consider the possibility of unwillingly/out of ignorance doing a crime on your own children, let aside the tons of money you spend for presumably their "own good".

Links:
https://www.afr.com/companies/boarding- ... 504-golmnt

https://www.acara.edu.au/reporting/nati ... ol-numbers

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/4221.0
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10468
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby miltiades » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:45 pm

Did you say " children of a pilot" ????????????????????
User avatar
miltiades
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 17750
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Paphitis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Pyrpolizer wrote:Really? Money solves all problems huh! Yeah right, any more nonsense?
Btw do a search for "cheap boarding schools" in Australia.


No money does not solve everything. But money does provide resources and these schools have more resources.

I am sure there are cheaper Boarding Schools in Australia. The Catholic Schools are generally the cheaper ones. The Anglican and Lutheran schools are extremely expensive. There are some expensive Catholic ones though as well, but the Catholic System is better value for money generally. Overall though, boarding schools are not cheap at all because it includes accomodation and meals. It's expensive.

I never looked into boarding schools because it's not something many people would look into as an option unless you were in the country, a remote location or are a farmer or station owner. My kids school is also a boarding school so my kids attend school with these boarding kids as well, and 99% of them are farmers.

Pyrpolizer wrote:Really? Are you trying to convince us that EVERY DAY parental care is equivalent to once a month visit? Try it yourself man, within a few months you will be a distant stranger, or at best some image of a parent.


You are such a butter boy. Yes it's not a problem at all for kids to be away temporarily from their parents in order to attend school. Many families have no choice but to utilize boarding schools in Australia as they can be hundreds of kilometers from the nearest school and because usually these families are able to afford the fees.

I have lived by myself away from my parents for extended periods. It'sd part of growing up to. Plus, these children are never away from their parents for a few months. Each term is only 10 weeks, and they get a 2 week break and the parents come to the city regularly to visit. Every 3 to 5 weeks they are together and on long weekends they go back to the farm.

Pyrpolizer wrote:Yeah right, once again your notion that money solves all problems. You’ve been provided links. You haven’t read anything! It’s not only a couple of psyches. ALL of the boarders (especially those at the age of 6 - 12) become psyches to various degrees, ranging from clearly identifiable to hiding.


There are no problems which you seem to think exist other then maybe missing loved ones. It really isn't a problem. Use facetime for crying out loud. Attending Geelong is going to benefit ANY child a lot more than being with Mum or Dad every single day. Absence makes the heart grow fonder too. Deal with it!

Pyrpolizer wrote:It’s a fucking primary or secondary school. How can you compare them with Universities is beyond me. Not even close to University education. The average University education is superior by far than any of the top elitist high schools.


In Australia, and I would say the USA and the UK, attending these schools is more important than university.

It isn't uncommon for job seekers winning a job because they attended a particular school, even ahead of university graduates. You have no idea about the culture in Australia or the UK. It isn't like Cyprus where it doesn't matter what school you attend. In Australia, attending a public school is ok, but if you are fortunate enough to attend an elite school, then you have a massive head start in life.

The reason for this is simple. If you attended geelong, then it's highly likely you and your family are well networked, well heeled, and well disciplined.

This may flip you out but it is another example how you do not understand the Anglos and Germanic people.

Pyrpolizer wrote:You will never "notice" such a thing. Children adapt. They develop the so call "maladaptive behavior" which is very hard to distinguish because you have no valid reference. The only valid reference would be the very same child having grown as a non boarder.
However experts - mainly psychologists - who ‘ve gone through it themselves, did studies and exposed the damage done on ALL boarding students to varying degrees. But you didn’t read any links, didn’t watch any documentaries posted, did you? We probably expect too much from you.


Now you are assuming these kids are suffering from anxiety and anger issues to have maladaptive behavioral issues. This isn't the case at all. These kids are probably the least likely to have anxiety or anger issues. Not impossible for them to have these types of issues of course, but it isn't more prevalent in kids who are living a life of privilege than another child that is with their parents and are struggling to survive. These kids are attending a fine school.

And adapt to what? These kids are usually country kids.

They are not a bunch of spoilt brats growing up in Limassol. They know how to ride motor bikes at the age of 5 and how to milk a cow and how to ride a horse.

Being away from the family isn't an issue at all.

Pyrpolizer wrote:You are diverting the issue to country kids. If country kids are tougher than city kids and can adapt easier to boarding schools is totally irrelevant to the issue been discussed.


It's usually country kids that require and use the services of a boarding school. It's the only way for them to get school aside from the Remote School of Air which is the alternative.

The Boarding schools are by far, better.

Some of these kids are actually hundreds of kilometers from the nearest school. You have no clue.

Pyrpolizer wrote:Of course you don’t see any issue. Simply because you are blind and don’t want to see anything.
Why are you trying to limit the issue to the cases of mutual consent, which usually occur with teenagers? How old were your OWN children when you dumped them in a boarding school?
Are you trying to convince us they had anything to say, other than just abide to your own wishes for "their own good" ?


Blind to what?

You seem to think that a child will somehow have problems for being away from their mother for a few weeks. that isn't the case at all.

These kids are extremely lucky to be at the schools they are and are actually quite privileged. It's not a small thing to be attending Eton or Geelong.

For crying out loud man! Let's say Eton or Geelong awarded your child a scholarship to board. Will you refuse because they will be away from their mother? You are a FOOL! :roll:

If you would refuse, then I got to hand it to you Pyro! YOU ARE STUPID!

If your kid got into Eton it would be like winning the lottery in life.

Pyrpolizer wrote:Too boring even dealing with your fixations Paphitis.
I actually thought both the UK and Australia output total freaks out in the society.
Thank God it’s not so.
Out of nearly 3 million students in Australia, only 28, 000 attend boarding schools which is less than 1%. Same percentage in the UK.


I never said boarding schools are common. Boarding is only really an option for families who have no other choice. It is however a very important service for these families.

That is your opinion, but I think I would rather my kids attend the school they are attending than ANY school in Cyprus.

Not knocking your schools in Cyprus, but I am sorry, they simply just do not compare to the likes of Eton or Geelong.

If I was in Cyprus, I would actually look into the American College or something like that. NO WAY would they be attending a public school there either that is run by the Government.

The American College is at least recognized in Australia, and USA. And once again, my kids will be shielded from idiots!

Pyrpolizer wrote:So go on Paphitis be in that 1% of lunatics who think they will turn their children from children of a pilot to children of a Duke by just sending them to an elitist boarding school.
Just consider the possibility of unwillingly/out of ignorance doing a crime on your own children, let aside the tons of money you spend for presumably their "own good".


What lunatics? people do not become lunatics for attending one of these schools or going to a boarding school. People become lunatics for not having access to education and that is a possibility when you are a child growing up on a remote Station or farm. In such cases, these schools offer these people access to a good education and usually they grow up as fine and mature adults.
User avatar
Paphitis
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 25463
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Pyrpolizer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:14 pm

miltiades wrote:Did you say " children of a pilot" ????????????????????


Well, what difference does it make either he is, or he is not.
Most pilots I know have similar mentality to Paphitis.

Regardless he is my major "partner" in discussions,
he writes tons of stuff, if anything he’s challenging and thought provoking,
and I filtered some noble traits in his personality.

The truth however is that I never agreed with him on ANYTHING! :shock:
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10468
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Londonrake » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Pyrpolizer wrote:
miltiades wrote:Did you say " children of a pilot" ????????????????????


Well, what difference does it make either he is, or he is not.
Most pilots I know have similar mentality to Paphitis.

Regardless he is my major "partner" in discussions,
he writes tons of stuff, if anything he’s challenging and thought provoking,
and I filtered some noble traits in his personality.

The truth however is that I never agreed with him on ANYTHING! :shock:


That’s a very magnanimous and frank post. Any left for me? :D :wink:
Londonrake
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
 
Posts: 1818
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm
Location: ROC

Re: The risks to children of British public schools.

Postby Pyrpolizer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:24 pm

Londonrake wrote:
Pyrpolizer wrote:
miltiades wrote:Did you say " children of a pilot" ????????????????????


Well, what difference does it make either he is, or he is not.
Most pilots I know have similar mentality to Paphitis.

Regardless he is my major "partner" in discussions,
he writes tons of stuff, if anything he’s challenging and thought provoking,
and I filtered some noble traits in his personality.

The truth however is that I never agreed with him on ANYTHING! :shock:


That’s a very magnanimous and frank post. Any left for me? :D :wink:


But what do I know about you from this forum? Almost nothing ...
Not your fault actually, as it seems I am the one who is not following the forum regularly.
User avatar
Pyrpolizer
Leading Contributor
Leading Contributor
 
Posts: 10468
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Elections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests